An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did Breaking Bad Glorify Meth?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by TPhoenix, May 28, 2015.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Member

Hands down, Breaking Bad is one of the best television series that was ever created. The character development, drama and intensity were all through the roof. However, sifting into the series a little more, it's evident that the show makes meth the cool thing, intentional or not.

They do that using terms like "cooking", talk about drug clarity, make the drug seem more attractive by having it a distinct color and having characters ride in RVs while they "cook." I mean you can almost be certain that it can't be denied that the show has had a critical influence on the likelihood of people using this drug. Yes or no?
  2. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Breaking Bad is one of my favorite series. While some parts of the show do indeed glorify meth at times, I believe the main plot involves the tragedy behind meth use and production. The show explores what happens with use and manufacture and most of it ends in tragedy. Not to give any spoilers... but if you watch the series to the end, it does not work out well for anyone involved.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I also believe they did just that, unfortunately. There are undoubtedly people who have tried meth at least once upon finishing Breaking Bad. In fact, the producers wanted to give out more of the actual process of meth, but DEA interfered and told them they should keep the process to a minimum extent, to not sparkle potential interests of cooking blue crystal meth. But it didn't help much, tbh.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that it did, cause some people to justify their meth use and also try and blame the show and not take responsibility for their actions which is sad to see. I have seen the show, and it did show how the use of meth can cause a destructive change as people think that it will not cause any problems until too late and than it get's worse than before which is sad when this happens. I reckon, when a show uses drugs than it can influence some people to think it is alright to use it and need to show the dangers of the use of meth and also what it can do to a person and how it does effect them in the long run as well.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  5. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I have never seen the show but figure this is the most reasonable answer yet. There are shows/movies/books about everything. It depends a lot on the person if they have their minds right or if they can be lead astray.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think anything in the media/entertainment industry is often about individual perception. This article was interesting to me -

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013...ased-since-the-show-began-says-us-drug-expert

"Critics of hit US drama Breaking Bad claim it glorifies drug use, but an official on America's National Council of Alcoholism and Drug Dependence says the number of ‘committed’ methamphetamine users has actually dropped by as much as 200,000 since the show began airing in 2008."

Seems like if anything, maybe it's been a deterrent.
  7. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I'm not sure if it was a deterrent necessarily, but I do think meth had already hit is prime before the show became mainstream.

And realistically, the people who can sit around binge watching a show like Breaking Bad are not usually the same people who are going to go out and hit the streets, looking for meth. And when they ARE, then they're not going to be swayed by a TV show....they're probably already out and exposed to it anyway.
    Zyni and Femiluv like this.
  8. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

It's crazy this was posted here, because my boyfriend literally said the same sentence to me yesterday: "Breaking Bad glorified meth." I haven't watched Breaking Bad, and he does so I agreed with his analysis because it sounded logical. However, meth has been pretty popular for a while even before BB. The context of our conversation was after he was approached by a meth user on the street and they had a pretty weird encounter. Anyways, people will always do things, TV show or not.
  9. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I know meth was extremely popular around here, to the point where every other commercial was an anti-meth commercial, right before Breaking Bad hit the scene. But now you don’t see those ads anymore. So I’m inclined to agree that while the show may have enabled people who already use meth to justify their addictions, it probably didn’t make the drug attractive to most people with no prior experience. And these things tend to cycle, so who knows, meth could be back in vogue in a few years without the help of a TV show.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's a good point you make about the "target market" I guess you could say, for lack of a better way of expressing it -- it's like saying just because you watch Mad Men you're going to chain smoke, or things like that. Watching TV shows for entertainment is entirely different to being inspired to go out and start using drugs. I've watched a fair few episodes of Breaking Bad but I can say with confidence that it never inspired me to try meth - in fact if anything I'd say it swayed me far the opposite way!
  11. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

If a person is retarded enough to want to bankrupt himself, lose his health (teeth too, if using meth), and ruin his family's lives, all because of a stupid television show, then it tells a lot about said person's character.

Why not do some real research as to the destroyed lives from the use of these illegal drugs. Don't forget to visit a local nursing home, where there is bound to be at least one person under the age of 25 who is wearing diapers and unable to function or speak because of an overdose or debilitating stroke.
  12. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

I don't think it would affect a lot of people, the world of Breaking Bad is fictitious and taking drugs illegally in real life is dangerous; not to mention stupid.
  13. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I don't think it was a very accurate betrayal of what meth will do to a person. How many people did they really show who, on one of their best days, weighed 90 lbs, eyes sunken, facial features drooping, bloody sore all over, and a bad case of meth mouth? I've seen what it can do to people and I think that's a very real side to the meth business that they did not portray hardly at all.
  14. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I think that one thing that Breaking Bad (and also Weeds) show their audience is that it is harder than one would think to be "good guy" drug dealers. If you get deep enough into dealing drugs to earn a living at it, sooner or later you are going to have to do something that makes you a "bad guy".
  15. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

If you would watch it, it is clear that it does not encourage drugs use or, in any way, condones that lifestyle. There is a deeper meaning behind what you intially see. Just like how walking dead is deeper than "zombies" at it's core.
  16. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I am not sure that I would say that it glorifies it, but I would certainly say that it seems to make light of it, I know they show a lot of "tragedy" but they make it kind of quirky and funny and I don't think it's taken as seriously as it should be.
  17. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

This makes a lot of sense to me. Good post.

I felt like it showed how much an average, normal, decent person could be changed by it (and not for the good). A meek little teacher turns into a drug lord. His prissy wife turns into a greedy beast.... I didn't take any of that as glorifying.
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Any person that's smart enough won't try Meth just because of a TV show, no matter how cool it seems. I don't think a show could impact people so much to make them actually try the drug. Also, there are also shown bad aspects of Meth thus it is not that influential.
  19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think it did glorify it a bit. They showed you how much money can be made from dealing and producing it. But then again, it was for entertainment purposes. I actually had a friend tell me that he wanted to deal meth just because he liked the show so much and he saw it as a way to get money. So it has influenced people.
  20. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

This is true, too. In fact, if anything, it glorified SELLING meth more than anything, ha. They really don't show that many good sides of the drug itself outside of the cash it can create by dealing.