An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did many kids smoke weed when you were in school?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Damien Lee, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Cigarette smoking was very popular among many kids when I attended high school back in the 90's. I also noticed an increase in those that chose to smoke marijuana and brag about it. Fortunately, they were a minority among the smokers but a little disconcerting, nevertheless. After finishing high school, I attended college and noticed an increase in those partaking in marijuana.

What was your experience like back in high school regarding those that smoked weed?
  2. autumnrose81

autumnrose81 Member

When I was in high school, we would go out to the alley on breaks and smoke joints. There was a security guard who walked the grounds and would always place this "cat and mouse" game with us. He knew exactly what we were doing but yet would sometimes try to bust us, but you could tell he was not putting forth all of his efforts. I think a majority of my graduating class smoked marijuana in high school. Heck, the majority of them probably still do.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Back when I was in high school, which was over twenty years ago, there were very few people who got into smoking marijuana or using drugs. There were maybe about five or six of them in the entire school. One or two of them also experimented with substances like LSD. It's certainly a lot more widespread now than it was back then.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  4. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Kids smoked weed like cigarettes at school. Especially the boys they would go behind the gym, and get sky high. I remember this one girl she was the teachers pet. She was really pretty, and popular. Until I saw her with a bag of weed in her purse I thought she was goody two shoes. It's crazy at the people that smoke weed.
  5. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

In my highschool, not a lot of kids smoked weed. There'd be kids who smoked cigarettes in the bathroom but weed, not really. I've only seen a group of kids smoke weed on the staircase once and was offered to join, declined. It's more common with kids who don't give a **** about school with my experience, you know the frat boy types.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Of coarse. The latest statistic I read in Canada on the matter said something like 60% of 12th graders admitted to having smoked pot.
  7. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

They existed back then but not in as large a number as they do now. The next thing is that it was mostly us as students who knew about it back then, as kids would go to the extreme to hide this where I went to school. Today it is so rampant and it is as if they do not really care whether or not they will get caught. The satisfying 'high' to be gained from it is enough to keep them being brazen.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I could spot them out easily. They acted a certain way and hung out with their little groups. They detracted from the rest of the class and which was fine. But yes weed was smoked all the time in High School.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe it depends if marijuana is legal there, most probably there are more users and wanting to experiment with it there. In here it is illegal and I have never encountered a co-student who have been using weed. Or I am just not aware of those who might using since they most probably will hide about it.
  10. A lot of kids used marijuana in our school. It was not easy to identify them as most were actually well behaved and did well in school. I don't know whether this could be attributed to the use of marijuana or they were just intelligent. I would vouch for the latter, though. Marijuana has this alluring promise of improving studying efficiency and many kids believe that.
  11. DutchMike

DutchMike Member

Even thought I'm in a country (The Netherlands) where weed is very easy (even easier in the 90's) to obtain, there were surprisingly not a lot of kids that smoked it at my school. I can think of maybe 10 people who regularly smoked it during breaks or outside of school.

Lots of people tried it at least once though, myself included, but most just stuck to cigarettes or nothing at all.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Smoking tobacco, marijuana and drinking crappy beer were staples of my highschool.
    It was like something out of a bad movie.
  13. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Seems like things were very similar in my high school. The 'pot smokers' or marijuana users if you prefer were definitely in the minority. If I remember correctly there were only around 5 kids or so that would indulge in the stuff. Acid had gained some slight popularity at my high school, mainly among the more well-off kids that would go out clubbing on the weekends.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Yup. I think that from the 70's and on, there has been a lot of pot smoking happening.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It's crazy how popular and widespread weed has become in recent times, even despite the riding cost. In the UK the cost of weed is at an all time high and yet more people are consuming it now than ever before. I think thid is largely due to the fact that so many people are now growing it themselves. Not just so that they get their own for next to nothing but also so that they can profit from it.
  16. Tikibubba

Tikibubba Member

I'm from a small town where weed is NOT legal, however the majority of high school and middle school children partake in smoking weed. I do not know how these children are getting these drugs but I know it is not uncommon to see middle school kids smoking on the corner of my street. People around us are aware, but do not take action in confiscating the drugs, or calling the police. Strange how times have changes since the 90s, hopefully one day this issue will be resolved for the better of our children.
  17. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Well pot or cigarettes were never too popular from where I am, but I do know of a couple potheads to look out for. They usually hang out in groups to do it together.
  18. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

I would say that a good deal of individuals smoked cannabis in school. Then again, my percentage is skewed because I am from LA county
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When I was at school there wa quite a few that smoked weed, and I was one of them. I don't know if it was because it had a sense of coolness or rebeliousness about it, but I'd say it was probably even more popular than alcohol.
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I saw students smoke it out of school and also would even sell it to others and also they did not think of the consequences, that can occur from this and quite shocking they would do this at a young age. I reckon that since weed must be used at their home, then they may have easy access and also think it helps them with their learning and also feel better in the process. It was shocking to see them do this and would stay away from them as I knew if I would hang out with them, then I would be addicted to the drug and spend money on that which would not be good.