An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did meth ever get you in legal trouble?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by primalclaws1974, Jan 16, 2015.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I have dabbled in meth off and on since I was a teenager. I did it the most following my divorce, when I was in my late 20's. My girlfriend at the time had easy access to it, so I was doing it more. One time we got pulled over for a headlight out, and the police found a quarter gram of meth in the glove box. She was charged, but almost as an afterthought, the cop said, "We should probably charge you to since you knew about it". I wasn't driving, it wasn't my vehicle, and it wasn't on me. I got a lawyer, who told me he could get it dropped. A year later he still hadn't, and his fees were greater than the $500 fine (misdemeanor). I told him to plead guilty, just so his fees would stop accumulating. In the end, I should have kept fighting, because having meth on your record gets a person shut down for jobs real quick.
    In hindsight, I morally was to blame as much as her. I was doing it (they didn't test us), and I knew it was there. This was in 2002 and I still get angry about it. It is just now getting to be far enough back that it isn't showing up on my background. I haven't touched the stuff since 2004.
    What legal trouble did you find yourself in over meth? Do you take the blame for it?
  2. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I know this is off the topic of the OP but I have to ask this and it may seem pretty lame but WHAT is meth!? I have been around so many people who are on "meth" or go to the "meth" clinic as in Methadone that this is what I thought people mean when they say "meth" but I am thinking that's not the same "meth"
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Of course, we don't always realize at the time what a given event or situation can do to our future selves. It's a problem that everyone faces, whether we're talking about drugs or not. I've never gotten into legal trouble revolving around drug use, but I know plenty of people that did. Some of thsoe people took the fall for something they had nothing to do with.
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I wish to clarify many misconceptions about Legal courts and attorneys, because I know many people do not know the U.S.A. is a Common Law nation, which means the Law is something one has been made aware of, familiar with, and hold faith for. Legal codes maybe LAW for BAR attorneys and U.S. Government Agents but not for a man or woman, who created these mental titles and positions of authority to protect and secure property [that which is exclusive for the private use of a man or woman only] - however, it mostly matters "who's court" thee or You are in, meaning that if you take the "role of defendant" then apparently there is a man, woman or entity is the plaintiff suing you! So it is up to you to negotiate "first" outside of a court [and court room] in the private with that man/woman/entity through a letter exchange, keep all records of letters showing you were willing to work it out, and if he/she/entity still pursues for you to appear in 21 days at a court hearing/appearing [not a trial yet], "write" a court notice [keep it very simple - no more than 3 sentences - and keep it singular and in present tense grammar] write notice to court of (insert plaintiff or court name) on top, write that thee is a man or woman, and that thee is here to settle all debts to the man or woman thee may have harm, injure, or wrong. If no harmed/injured/wronged man or woman appear, give notice to court that whenever a man or woman shall appear with a proper claim against I, then I wish to be let go.

It's too long winded to explain any further, but for those interested in understanding how Common Law - the true Law of the U.S.A. - truly works, google "Karl Lentz" for more info.
    True concern likes this.
  5. primalclaws1974

Methadone is a prescribed drug that lessens the addiction to street drugs, usually heroin. I cannot say where the name comes from. Meth is methamphetamine, which is a family of drugs that make your heart race, make you unable to eat or sleep. It can be highly addictive. People that use meth long-term can loose their teeth, have horrible skin conditions, "freak out" because they have gone many days without sleeping. The word is usually associated with the street version that can be made from chemicals like anhydrous.
    Teresa likes this.
  6. primalclaws1974

Although I appreciate the post, it really makes no sense at all. What are you trying to say? That I could have negotiated a way out of the predicament I was in? I doubt that. It was a misdemeanor. A prosecuting attorney is not going to waste his time on something that had no jail time associated with it.
  7. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

The criminal record is probably the biggest issue for people getting into trouble over drugs. The issue is once you have that on your record you're going to have such a had time getting a job. It's ironic that the laws push those who are already in trouble into even bigger trouble by making jobs hard to get for them.
  8. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

No but I watched as it destroyed my family (my brother, namely) and the legal troubles that it brought with them. To the fact the cops fingered out our house as a local "Hotspot" meaning they patrolled it often and were rude when they stopped to the fact of the fines and legalities that ensued, it just wasn't worth it. Not even worth all the "Glass" in the world, to be honest. It shatters lives as easily as war does. That is a hell of a drug.
    Stephanie likes this.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Thankfully, I don't have a criminal record and don't plan to ever have one. I have, however, experienced a lot of financial problems as a result of addiction. When I ran out of funds I started taking out short term loans in order to fund the habit. I'm sure there's no need to explain the financial troubles that come with short term loans, let alone using those loans to fund a drug habit.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

A family member was a drug dealer. And her drug den did get raided. She got several years in jail, and gave everyone in the family the shame of being associated with her.

Growing up I tried to stay away from her, but that was hard to do because she had strong ties to my older brother and sister. I for one did not enjoy her company. We crossed paths a lot but never were that close.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I took meth once, and I quit thereafter. That thing is not for me, to be honest. I'm very lucky since a couple of friends got arrested just recently, and if I further continued taking, or even worse liked it, well I would probably not be here talking about this, haha. It's so sad seeing people falling for this drug world.
  12. Baye's Mom

Baye's Mom Member

A couple of years ago, 2013, I was hanging out with this 17 year old girl. We decided we were going to get in the car with guy she knew and go pick his friend up from work. We had to stop at her sister's house for some reason and she took a pooky for her sister's roommate. She handed it to me and not thinking about it, I put it in my bra. Well, we got pulled over. The guy tried to say he didn't speak English and he had no license and it wasn't his car, nor could he prove whose it was. So I ended up putting the piece in the pouch behind the seat because I had a warrant for a MIP fine I didn't pay. I knew I was going to jail. But I did not know there was a big ol' baggie somewhere in the front seat, so
    when I was questioned, the cops didn't believe me when I asked, "there was more?" The
    girl I was with, she was almost on the verge of losing her baby daughter so I said
    something along the lines of, "alright, I'll claim the pipe behind the driver seat, but really,
    I didn't have a clue about anything else." So then, not only was I going for the warrant,
    they were charging me with possession of a controlled substance, F4 felony. I spent 31
    days in jail, missed my dad's funeral, and they dropped it down to attempted possession, misdemeanor.
  13. Stephanie

Stephanie Member

My 1st charge I ever got was manufacturing methamphetamine, a felony!! That was on November 14, 2012. I spent almost a year in jail and I am now on 8yrs felony paper. I am 32 yrs old now. I've been doing meth for the past 4yrs and it has been the closest thing to living in Hell that I've ever came close to. I have been on or tried several different drugs in my life but nothing can compare to meth. Before I started meth I had a nice home, 2 vehicles, a good job, a husband, 2 kids, and yes even a dog. My life wasn't perfect by no means but looking back now it sure does seem damn near perfect even tho I was fighting my ex husband for custody of my kids, I had lost my brother in August and then my daddy 4 months later in December. I have changed so much to the point that I honestly do not feel like that woman I use to be I feel like a completely different person all together. It all started when an old friend of mine came to our business, my dad's scrap company, and she had a guy with her. We all talked caught up on old times and left. I called her one day because I was pill sick to see if she could find me something and she said no she didn't do pills but had some "dope" I asked if she thought it would help long story short I did it. Oh I should probably mention I shot it. Before I knew i knew it this guy was calling me flirting and doing what dope dealers do. Although I had been on pills for years I was naive to how the "dope world" was and completely naive to how the "dope cooks/kings/the man", whatever you wanna call them was. He of course played his cards right and I went with him one day after I dropped my kids off at school. Big mistake!!! He was giving me shots that someone my size would never do, of course you have to remember I didn't know anything about meth and sure didn't know how much to do so as he was pulling it up I never thought anything about it. Now this is where it gets tricky cause I want to say it was terrible and I hated it but that would be a lie the truth is it was the most awesome feeling ever!! I felt nothing but pleasure and I was in a completely different world. Everything was different and more intense. We of course had sex and it was the best sex I had ever had. This guy and this drug was completely amazing, or so I thought because from that moment to this moment everything is a blur. I ended up losing my house, car, job, everything!! But none of that even matters what breaks my heart and shattered my world was the fact I lost my kids. I had a beautiful, sweet, sensitive, loving daughter and a handsome, kind, playful, energetic son. They both were very close to me they had never not one time even slept anywhere but in my bed with me. My son was so attached to me that he would play with my hair, it was like his security blanket, and at night that's how he would fall asleep. In the middle of the night if he would reach for my hair and wasn't able to feel it then he would wake up screaming mommy, I am crying as I write this and remember how precious it was and how good they made me feel. This drug took my children's mother from them. I love my kids damn it, I have always loved them, from the very moment they were placed in my arms I feel in love with them. I was a good mom, very affectionate and protective. Never let them stay anywhere alone without me. My girl was in 3rd grade and my son 1st when this all happened. Now she is 12 and he is 10. I still talk to them and see them. But I went over a year when I was in jail without talking to them. They were in foster care, then placed in a foster home then again in another one which is where they are now. This family adopted them 2 December's ago. I never knew that something as simple as signing my name on a piece of paper could be so hard. I wanted to die, could not figure out how I was gonna go the rest of my life knowing my kids would never live in my home, I'd never miss them goodnight before they went to sleep, know how they were doing, wake them up for school, be the one they ran to when something went wrong or right. What had I done and how the hell did I let it get this bad without knowing? Meth!!! It takes you in a completely different world, yes it takes all the pain, heartache, and worries away but at what cost? It will own you, control you and turn you into someone that you won't even recognize. You will do the things that you have always said you would never do and somehow it will be okay and you will justify them. You will not feel the same, act the same, think the same or look the same. I hate meth with everything I have in me everything painful and all the heartache that has happened to me but more so my kids came from using meth but yet somehow and for some f**ked up reason I keep doing it. Completely crazy? Absolutely!! I wish I could describe what I really feel but I can't, my feelings changed constantly. One minute I'll be 100% over this and wanting nothing more then to stop and fix what life I have left but then something will happen and my mind will get off focus and I literally forget that I was even thinking that. I know that makes no sense but I promise nothing about this drug makes sense. If you've never done it then please never try it!!! I beg you!!
  14. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Meth has gotten my family into so much legal trouble. It makes my cousin not care about anything so he doesn't pay any of his bills and he has collections calling around the clock. They are even sending him letters from lawyers and he has been locked up for driving without a license. It is bad.
  15. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

My daughter has been in and out of prison for pot plants her boyfriend was growing in their apt. Her meth addiction has kept her from keeping her probation requirements. I am hoping when she gets out this fall she can get her life back on track. She has had a hard time finding a job with a felony drug distribution charge on her record and little job experience due to time spent incarcerated.
  16. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

mеth саusеs а mаssivе rеlеаsе оf nеwly synthеsizеd саtесhоlаminеs likе nоrеpinеphrinе, еpinеphrinе, аnd dоpаminе, аnd blосks thе rеputаkе оf thеsе nеurоtrаnsmittеrs...dоpаminе is linkеd tо thе "аddiсtiоn" сеntеr оf thе brаin, hоwеvеr, it is fаr mоrе соmpliсаtеd thаn thаt..sеrоtоnin is аlsо invоlvеd....
    аt high dоsеs, mеth аlsо stimulаtеs thе rеlеаsе оf sеrоtоnin, this prоbаbly аlsо ассоunts fоr thе аddiсtivе quаlitiеs.
    nоw if yоu аrе smоking mеth, yоu аrе smоking "iсе"...Iсе is thе smоkаblе fоrm оf mеth, its likе thе "сrасk" оf mеth. Iсе is pаrtiсulаrly аddiсtivе bесаusе it is аlmоst immеdiаtеly аbsоrbеd intо yоur blооd strеаm...аnd it's 90 tо 100% purе mеthаmphеtаminе...it's diffеrеnt thаn сrасk in thаt it lаsts fоr mаny hоurs, its hаlf lifе is 12 hоurs..
  17. juno

juno Community Champion

I have never ben in legal trouble because of Meth, but I fear that the most because the sentencing is the most severe. I believe it is 5 years in prison and a federal offense.
  18. flash555

flash555 Member

Dealing meth got me almost 8 years in a federal prison. It all started with a little hear and a little there to keep from paying for my habit and then it got to be more and more. Meth gets in your head and takes over your personality and before you know it, it has you doing things and not thinking about the consequences what so ever. Then bam, if your not careful you got big problems to deal with for the rest of your life, just because you wanted to get high and stay high!
    Momma9 likes this.