An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did rehab work for you?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by cabrannon529, Sep 4, 2015.

1. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

Did rehabilitation work for you? Once you got out, were you "cured" of your addiction, of your problems? Did you life get back in shape after that point? Did it put you back on the right track?

It did for me, of course. I was in outpatient, for a week, and luckily my addiction wasn't strong enough so that I relapsed afterwards.
  2. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I was inpatient for over 30 days for treatment...it really didn't help. That was almost 5 years ago and I've continued to struggle with my addictions. It's only been recently, as I've been in outpatient treatment for a few months, that I am finally recovering. It taught me all these inpatient rehabs are not what they're cracked up to be. The one I went to and got nothing out of was supposedly one of the best in the U.S.
  3. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I didn't really been in a rehab before, but I have a friend who was there for 31 days, he was doing good for 1 month later then he started smoking weed again :( I was really sorry for him :/
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Of the half-dozen or so people that I know (who are former addicts of some substance or another), four of them successfully went through rehab and came out sober on the other side (and maintained their sobriety). On the other hand, it didn't work for one of the remaining two individuals, and the final person didn't even try rehab at all. She quit all on her own.
  5. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

Rehab is a powerful tool , but it's not enough to get a person out of an addiction. The person needs a way to express themselves and to dedicate their time now that they don't have an addiction. Rehab can also teach you that patience is absolutely necessary for recovery, but you can't really teach a person how to be patient, it's one of those things that you have to learn and feel for yourself.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Most people who've been through rehab come out sober and remain so but a number of those who are forced in don't change. They see rehab as some kind of punishment and their addiction gets even worse because they "compensate" for the lost time by using more of the drug. That's what happened with my neighbor's son. He drinks like a fish ever since he came out of rehab.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It was a long way, I did many things that had repercussions and to this day I'm still living with the repercussions of some bad decisions I made in the past. That's how life s, the best one can do is trying to make the most out of everything I already have, and try to live life the best I can. In the last few years I've developed the ''Do what you can with what you have mentality''. Life is never the same after an addiction, once you accept that you are ok. I mean, people like my sister will always see me as a junkie, even if I finish med school and become an internist.
  8. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I can't speak for me because luckly I've never been went to a rehab but had plenty of friends who went and when they came back they were changed in a good way somehow so I guess yes this might work.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Rehab could totally work for others, but sometimes, it is not always the same story for some people. As long as you are determined to change for the better and the facility provides you everything from counselling to therapy, then I think yes, it would definitely be effective for recovering addicts.

Anyway, I am glad it totally helped you! Congratulations on your recovery. :)
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I have never been in rehab, but I know a few people that have, and its had mixed results, probably a 50% success rate.

Two people went to rehab and did the full program and it worked for them. Two others I know, one lasted a few days and came out, said it wasn't helping, and another lasted the full program, cane out and also said it didn't help.

Just like the addiction itself, rehab seems to have different effects, depending on the person