An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did you ever "almost" get addicted to something?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Spiegel, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I've been wondering if anyone has any stories about almost getting addicted to something, as in you used it or almost used it and almost ended up getting completely hooked. I myself have almost gotten myself hooked on Pholcodine an opiate based cough drugged that is used to prevent coughing. I took too big of a dosage and it almost went bad, but I managed to throw it away. So, anyone?
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have almost gotten addicted to a lot of things, including pills and video games, and at times even food. I fortunately am able to maintain awareness of how much I'm feeding my addiction, though, so I always know when to take a break or stop completely. I just try to indulge myself to satisfy my cravings so I don't feel like I'm short changing myself too much of life experiences and enjoyment, while always being mindful of my emotions and actions.
    Winterybella likes this.
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I don't think I ever came too close. But I remember there was a period of my life when, if something went wrong or hurt me, I got the alcohol out to take my mind off it and to get tipsy because I thought it'd make me feel better. My partner told me this was a bad idea, associating alcohol with bad moments and using it as a crutch, and that many cases of alcoholism started like this. So because I felt like I had something to prove, I stopped drinking in times of unhappiness. I think if he had not mentioned it and I continued that way, there might have been a point where I would completely rely on it and not know how to deal with problems in a healthier way anymore!
  4. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I wouldn't say that I almost got addicted, but I had the "chance" plenty of times to get into certain drugs that my friends were taking. There was a time when I was drinking heavily every day, but liquor has never been my drug of choice, so I don't think that I could get addicted to it, but maybe, because I was addicted to pills.

Actually now that I think about it, there was a time when I could have gotten addicted to something, but I stopped before it got out of hand. I'll leave it at that.
  5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Since I was 16 I smoked weed everyday all day till I was 30. I've tried ketamine, extasy, Molly, coke, shrooms, acid, adderral, xanax, wax and maybe a couple others, but I have been blessed to never get addicted. Most of my use has been experimental and I've been able to determine if I like it or not, love it then never do it again. Even with my marijuana use over the years, when I found out my job does random drug testing I just quit that day. I sold or gave away my entire stash and never looked back.
    Winterybella likes this.
  6. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

When i was about 12 i nearly got hooked to sniffing glue,a synthetic chemical used to bind leather.Me and my boys used to buy it from some merchants pretending that we had been sent only for us to abuse it.Am lucky my mum got wind of our misadventure and after a thorough beating,i swore never to touch it again.
  7. There were rumors that the communists have houses full of possessions. The rumors were proven to be true as these houses are down my road. I could die is I go but I would certainly die it I didn’t go.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. I never got addicted to drugs, alcohol, or any kind of substances. Actually, I have never done drugs before, and I don't think I will try using them in the near future. I drink occasionally though.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  9. kjonesm1

I think that is awesome! My current boyfriend is like you in that way. Never tried a drug, a cigarette or even tasted an alcoholic beverage. That is something to be proud of.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When one's family is broken by drug use, those who were part of it have two choices:

Either follow the example set and use drugs to the extreme or
    Stay away from drugs completely.

I chose the latter. I did experiment a little I have to admit but I only smoked no more than 4 times, used alcohol twice, made me sick and I didn't touch it again. And from then on I never touched any other drugs again.

So for me, no I've never come close to being addicted to any drugs.
  11. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I've come close to being addicted to smoking cigarettes.... I used to smoke a lot when out on social nights with friends and pretty much finish a whole pack without even blinking but I soon got a wake up call and cut back really fast! I am glad that I didn't end up depending on them because I used them at a time when I was going through a terribly stressful period of time in my life!
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think I could say that I almost got addicted into chocolates.
    It is because there was a time before that I eat chocolates for breakfast and have it several times in a day like after other major meals. Good thing that I manage to control myself and I could go on for a week without even eating chocolates.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  13. kjonesm1

I know binge eating and food addictions can be serious, but that's a little funny. None the less great job of overcoming your addiction!
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I'm addicted to non-substances. More like I get addicted to a particular undertaking to the point that it becomes a detrimental habit. One cause for addiction would be the Internet. Of course, I have freelance gigs everywhere but I guess my Internet dependence has grown to such an extent that I have almost stopped reading paperback novels and watching television. Now, I'm trying to correct the error of my ways, seeking traditional pastimes and activities that prevent me from relying too much on the Internet.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Thanks. It is correct to say that binge eating or being addicted to food can get really serious . That can cause various problems like becoming obese and various illnesses.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  16. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

When I was very young, my friends and I would skip school occasionally and find someone older to buy alcohol for us. I continued to drink socially into my twenties. Finally due to an unrelated health problem, my doctor said, "no more alcohol." I had never thought about my drinking or having to abstain from it until that time. All of a sudden, I didn't like the taste of Soda anymore because I couldn't mix anything with it. It seemed sad not being able to go out with friends and enjoy a drink. I realized that the world looked very different to me without alcohol in it.After a very brief period of withdrawal, I realized that I was likely becoming an alcoholic.
  17. kjonesm1

Withdrawal is definitely a sign of addiction. Strange how things can become a habit and we grow dependent on them with out even knowing. The unrelated health problem may have been a blessing in disguise and a wake up call. I hope your health is better.
  18. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Thank you! Yes it was a blessing and my health is much better.
    kjonesm1 likes this.