An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did you have a parent who drank to much?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Kim1414, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Kim1414

Kim1414 Member

Did you have a parent who drank to much when you were growing up? If so how did that affect you as a kid and how has it affected you as an adult?
  2. olb1213

olb1213 Member

One of my parents is an alcoholic. He finally quit for good when I was a teenager and is now working on almost 20 years of sobriety. I will always be grateful that he was able to turn his life around and quit drinking when he did, but unfortunately a lot of damage had already been done. As a child I felt like he cared more about beer than me. I was insecure and always felt like I wasn't good enough to make him want to spend more time with me instead of drinking his life away. Growing up with an alcoholic leaves a lasting emotional impact that I did not fully comprehend until much later in life. My brother now shares the same struggles my father did and is deep in denial. I truly believe that having an alcoholic parent impacts a person for the rest of their life.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Both of my parents have been regular drinkers ever since I can remember and are both still regular drinkers now, even though they are in their sixties. However, they are not alcoholics - they just like a drink after work and on their days off. Despite that fact, there have been times when my mother has slipped into alcoholism and has become reliant on it (during hard times) but thankfully that never went to the extreme and she always managed to pull herself out of it. My father was always very strong-minded and doesn't let things influence him in such a way and I think without his support my mother may have turned out to be a heavier drinker.
  4. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

My father was the one who drank too much he was an alcoholic.
    He was a good person, but after alcohol he did act differently.
    Not that he was aggressive, but he was reckless and that was the cause of this death.
  5. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

While no one in my family drinks, I certainly feel sorry for those here who had to suffer because their parents were alcoholics. This is yet another reason to not to drink alcohol in excess - not only do you suffer, so do your family members, and especially your children who themselves might get pushed into being alcoholics.

I once read this touching story of a man who killed his entire family after flowing into a rage while under the influence. He regretted his actions so much, that he killed himself.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My old man was an alcoholic and he still drinks occasionally. He was one of those people who'd get violent and abusive when he drunk. The only good thing that came out of it was that after his addiction split the family, I vowed that I'd never touch alcohol. That's why I don't drink. But it's hard to growing up knowing only hatred, fear, anger. I still dislike the old bastard.
  7. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

My parents very rarely drank, and I never saw them drunk. Once I drank an orange juice off the counter, and it was an oj and vodka. My dad freaked (I was probably only 6), but that was really the only time I even remember alcohol in the house. When I became of age, my friend and I would try and make mixed drinks in a blender. My mom would watch and take a taste too. When I got older we would have wine before dinner. I don't have any issues with alcohol and it was never taboo in our house. We didn't have it much, but didn't hold a negative view of it either.
  8. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

My mom barely ever drank anything when I was a kid and my dad still lived with us. He was a different story, he drank a lot, but not around the house -- he would go to his friends and drink and smoke with them up to late in the night, a bit like on those shows like the Simpsons where Homer just spends the evening away.

I loved my dad a lot during my childhood, and then I loved him less when I turned teenager, but he just was not as present in my life as my mom, and he did not have healthy habits or finances. I used to be scared that it would be a genetic thing, since his dad was also a complete alcoholic.
  9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Short answer: Yes. I never gave it the power to affect me as an adult. I consciously chose to make it an insignificant part of my life. However, when I was a child that option wasn't open to me because I was consistently exposed to it on a regular basis. You have to deal with something like that. It has to affect you. It takes a lot to walk away from that emotional/physical damage.
  10. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I am grateful that I didn't grow up with any of my parents who is suffering from drinking alcohol. I know some of my friends who did and it gave them a real nightmare growing up. So if you're a parent, you might want to table that one out for the sake of your kids.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I haven't been raised in a family of alcoholics, and for that, I'm really thankful. I know how difficult a situation can be if either one or both of your parents are drowning in alcohol and I know I can't deal with that, specially that I have been experiencing depression quite a lot, and the trauma of being in that kind of household would definitely worsen my condition.
  12. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I personally didn't although my grandmother was an alcoholic and schizophrenic. Also, both my boyfriend's parents are alcoholics. In his experience he has never had genuine parents. By blood they are, but in filling the role of a father or mother they fall short drastically. The father always treated him more like a buddy than role model. He'd invite him to have some beer. His mom, on the other hand, regularly stole from him and rarely if ever offered motherly love or support.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The only known alcoholics in my family were my grandfather, his brother and male cousins. My father's brothers are social drinkers, while there's one uncle on my mother's side who used to be a substance abuser turned alcoholic post-rehab. Surprisingly, that alcoholic uncle knows when to turn off the switch. All hell breaks lose when he gets drunk, though.
  14. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I grew up with alcoholic parents who abused and tortured me. I left my parental home when I was 16 years old and slipped into drinking excessively for three years before I "woke up". I sustained many injuries, physically and mentally, and it took me more than 20 years to recover from the brutality of my early years. Even today, as I am sitting here and writing this, I still have pain in my spine and am forever reminded of my past. One can forgive and move on, but one never forgets...
  15. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Non of my parents are alcoholics but my maternal grandfather is one. He has ruined his life with alcohol and was even homeless at one point because he spent all his money on drinking for himself and others when he is at a bar. I have seen how alcohol can ruin a person's life first hand through my grandfather.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Parents try to shelter their kids from other kids that maybe a potential bad influence. But my parents were the bad influences. They did drugs, drank, and resorted to theft just for laughs and giggles. It was really pathetic.

I grew up breaking the law and my parent suse to ground me for that, when it was them that taught me how to do it. The nerve!!!! I grew up drinking a lot but I always put school first. As for drugs, I used pot a few times but never took to it. I never touched the hardcore stuff.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I do not have any alcoholic member in my family, but the environment is toxic just the same because of their own immature and crazy behavior. I think if they drank alcohol then the situation might be worse.
  18. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

My parents were never drinkers so I was pretty fortunate to not have to be around drunk people at home. My mom had some uncles who drank beer often and smoked cigarettes. I never picked up a cigarette nor a beer and would like to keep it that way if I can.
  19. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

My father drank too much when I was a kid. Oddly enough, he's still alive. How he didn't succumb to alcohol poisoning after all this time is a miracle.

But yeah, his drinking has cause plenty of problems for the family at times. Ranging from arguments to debt. Most of our family's issues stemmed from his use of the bottle.
  20. serpes

serpes Member

My father was an alcoholic for about 10 years, since I was 5 until my adolescence. His alcohol abuse came with violence and I still wonder how my mother put up with him for that long. He finally quit and has been sober ever since but never told us why or how. I thinks it has to do with his best friend dying while they were out drinking. Those years surely left a mark on both me and my family but we moved on and hope those moments will never repeat. Also I had my share of alcohol abuse but I blame no one but myself.