New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did You Stay Friends With Other Patients?

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by bluedressed, Jan 17, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

It seems like such a deep experience, but also it is somewhat centered on what goes on inside of us. The others are there to help us through... But how many of you stayed friends with the people you've met during the treatment? I find that in these sorts of experience, however profound, sometimes coming out there is not as much interests in common.

How do you present them to your other acquaintances, if you do keep them as good friends?
  2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

When I had to do a month in jail/rehab, the guys in my room discussed us all getting together at some point a few months after we all were set to leave, but nothing really materialized of it. We exchanged numbers and such, but I never called any of them, and as far as I know I didn't get any calls from them - though I normally don't answer numbers I don't recognize anyhow.

I was in a bit of a weird situation while staying there too, since I and a couple other guys in the room were apparently very heavy snorers, so we were driving everyone else nuts at night. I suppose the last thing most of them would want to do is see any of us again, lol.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I still stay in touch with a guy I was in the psychiatric unit with for a month. I don't see anyone else though. Hospitals and detox centres remind me a little of the Big Brother house in the way that everyone groups up and gets a little institutionalized.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Though I've never been to treatment, my uncle did. From what my mother told me, he made friends with the warden of the public treatment facility he was sent to. During that time, cellphones weren't the primary means of communication so after he completed rehab, he went straight home. Years later when my uncle was finally a policeman, he came across the warden and it was a happy reunion. Who would have thought a former substance abuser would end up an agent of justice? It must have been the same with his colleagues at the rehab center. They must have all been shocked to see him become a policeman after what he once was.
    bluedressed likes this.
  5. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I can relate to this! I feel guilt and somewhat awkward if I happen to see someone who helped me with my addiction. But what can we do? Life's busy! I suffer from social anxiety, so that makes it even worse for me.
  6. bluedressed

Yes, that's a feeling I understand well, trying to protect yourself. I feel selfish when I notice I am trying to do it this way - pushing away the people who've helped me after seeing me at my worst, because I just want to reinvent myself and not have the memory of being in such a bad state. But those people are oftentimes stubborn! So they insist on staying in my life and I learn that I don't need to start completely new with new people, I can just be happy I got where I now am.
  7. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

This really opened up my eyes! Thank you @bluedressed for your perspective. I can see more clearly now.
    bluedressed likes this.
  8. bluedressed

Glad it could help! I have trouble hanging on to it when I'm at my most insecure, but truth it -- no matter how many times I start over, I'm never going to be "perfect". The people who stand by you at your worst can be reminders of bad times, but they are also the proof that they believe you can get better and better. And it's better to not trade off people who have shown that they love you no matter what, any way, because it's worth a lot more than to find people who believe you to be "flawless". It's a process.
  9. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

I still stay in contact with 2 guys I met in rehab and we actually became good friends. In fact, we check up on each other after a while to make sure no one is back at it.
  10. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I haven't kept in contact with anyone from rehab. It was only about 6 of us there at the time (during the holidays) and most of us didn't get along too well. It was a dual diagnosis treatment program so there were a lot of mental health issues at play. I ended up having a major issue occur with the staff and I left AMA because I couldn't continue to trust the staff after what happened.
    Two people did try to get in touch with me, but I never responded.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

:D:D:D This really made me laugh. I actually just came to the thread for a good read and to see if many friendships were developed and maintain. I got my answer and a big laugh of the snorers no one ever wanted to see again. This is so funny.:D