New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Did your belief system help you?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Kyler, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

I know people who are going through treatment right now, who claim that their belief system has helped them overcome so much. Is that really true? I want to ask you guys because this is one of the most important questions in my life because that is what I truly seek, to know if belief systems can truly give you peace and whether they really work.

I know that people who struggle with depression have been helped through belief systems because it works like the placebo effect, except it is actually mental, I don't know much about it, but I would like to know more and be given an advice on it.
  2. Rosco14

Rosco14 Member

I am not totally sure what you mean, but if you meant faith based belief, then I think it works! Having a cause or something you aspire to be is a great way to treat addictions. I always thought of what good would come out of " one more cigarette" and it soon changed my mindset. Its a very spiritual journey.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I didn't quite believe in God until I was out of the woods... It's odd but the fact I was finally free from my severe addictions made me realize a belief system was important. I did pray, but I didn't really believe in it. Now I can say that I truly believe, and I've faith this will help me deal with my behavioral addictions (much more mild than my former addictions).
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I think no matter what a person is going through, it is the belief in himself that speeds up the delivery or recovery process. Faith in ourselves is a big issue, something no one else can help us with.
  5. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Yes. I really believe that God can deliver me from anything. Even when I stuggle I pray to Him to see me through. I have to say, "Help!" a lot. I know that when I fell it's not him that didn't help me, but it was me deciding not to listen or do what I suppose to do. We are given free will. Sometimes it's so much easy to choose the wrong way instead of the right way.
  6. melody

melody Active Contributor

I was not very faithful when I was younger. Now I am a firm believer in God, faith and the power of prayer. I wish that I had come to Him sooner, but I feel thankful that I found him before the grim reaper caught up with me. It is my faith that helps keep me from stepping in to old, dangerous patterns.
  7. remnant

remnant Community Champion

At the risk of proselytizing, it has to be stated that everything in the physical world is a mere manifestation of what has already been decided in the spiritual realm. My belief system has really helped of to cope with addiction. I am a Spirit Christian and I can bet that we humans tend to concentrate on the physical aspect of addiction as well as other facets of life at the expense of the spiritual aspect.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I am a Hindu with a deep faith in Buddhism. Hindu Belief System has helped me to grow into to better human being, acquire knowledge and wisdom and mold me into a man of morality and ethics. Buddhism has taught me about awareness, transient nature of the work and the ultimate aim if human life.
  9. melody

melody Active Contributor

I would not be where I am today if it were not for faith. For me, faith was not something shoved down my throat, but something that I had to choose. I can't say the path to faith was an easy one for me, but I think that is what makes it faith. It is what gives me direction, and how I get back on the path when I stray to far.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Faith can move mountains. You've probably heard that. If you believe that something does work then it most certainly will. This is why placebos appear to work. That's why I believe someone's faith in a Higher Power can get them victory over an addiction if they seek help. Their faith will deliver them.
  11. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I bet that was it not for my Christian faith, I would be stuck in a rut, I would be a total wreck. The good thing with faith is that, you summon a higher supernatural power to intervene in your natural situation. When I used to drink, my body was physically in the pub but my heart and mind were tortured by the betrayal of my faith knowing that God is omnipresent and could see me and through me. I came out of every drinking spree in repentance and stronger to resist the next temptation.