An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Diet Pills

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by kassie1234, Apr 22, 2015.

1. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Usually an addiction is to something that brings pleasure to you. I am not aware that diet pills have that influance. I might be wrong since i have never used them. Anyway i believe if someone says he has a problem and we are all people but very different in every way so there might be something in those pills that trigger something else i people. They are not healthy in the first place so addiction is simply too much.
  2. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Diet pills are drugs, and overdosing any kind of drugs can have really bad effects on our health, they can even lead to results such as the one in the opening post which is really sad.
  3. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Society sets a high bar for how people should look and unfortunately it does lead to people who abuse these pills. Somebody I met in college had this issue.
  4. Amelie Santos

Amelie Santos Active Contributor

She looked so healthy, happy, and vibrant. :( I've heard of stories like these even in my country, and the victims are usually from the entertainment industry. One girl in particular claimed she lost 10 pounds in 9 days, so she became really motivated to take them. But then she became too motivated, and ended up in the hospital. Thank God she got out of it alive.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Some of them even create some kind tolerance, then you have to up the dose more and more. Some people even grind certain diet pill and snort them for the high... That kind of behaviors really disgust me, because it seems people are always finding ways to get high.
  6. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

This is the work of peer pressure, and the society too. But this is a free world, no one should get intimidated by anyone. It's so sad that the girl took so much pills because she wanted to get thin. But it's not worth it. Being thin is not being beautiful. The most important things in this life is obedience, discipline and moderation. Every corner of our lives and bodies should be balanced.
  7. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I'm from the US, but have lived many years in the Caribbean. It's actually a very common thing for specially women in the Caribbean to die from the overuse of diet pills. Sometimes they die due to taking to many, and other times because of the side effects brought on by the low quality of chemicals used in their composition. There is a lot of pressure in being skinny. I know last year there were several deaths brought on by diet pills made in China. I'm not totally against diet pills, but I am against their overuse.
  8. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I have only taken diet pills once when my doctor prescribed them to me. I did not really like how they made me feel and they also took my appetite away completely. I had a friend who had seizures while using the diet pills with phen phen. Diet pills are definitely no joke and they are very dangerous if not used properly. I do not trust diet pills and do not believe the claims of those they advertise on TV or the internet.
  9. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I remember at work one of my co workers met someone in line who deals in diet pill sampling so she gave my co worker one during work. I don't know anyone who was addicted to them but lets hope she will not be the first to do so...
  10. Brennyss

Brennyss Member

My sister used to take diet pills. They are quite dangerous, and she seriously harmed her health. After taking those pills, her digestive system couldn’t process any food, and she was throwing up what she ate. But she was so obsessed about losing weight, so she ignored this problem for too long. Once, we saw her unconscious on the floor and called the ambulance. It took her a while to recover from what she did to her health. Recently, I found out about the low carb keto diet. It helped me to lose weight. Besides, it didn’t harm my health, and now I feel more energized. So better keep a diet instead of taking pills, that might even kill you.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  11. Sebasty1987

Sebasty1987 Member

Diet pills are very dangerous for health. Therefore, before you start taking them, be sure to consult your doctor. I also suffered from excess weight for many years and no diets helped me. Once I even decided to eat nothing except 3 eggs and water per day for a week. By the end of 4 days, I almost lost consciousness! Since then, I have realized that I will never try any extreme diets again. In a couple of weeks, I will have an appointment with a weight loss doctor in Houston and I really hope that he will help me. My friend was treated by this doctor and she is very happy with the result.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021