An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Diet Soda Worse For You Than Regular Soda As A Mixer?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by OhioTom76, Sep 18, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I have never heard of this before until you had brought it up. I wonder what it is exactly about diet soda that could cause a difference in a mixed drink, compared to regular soda?

Anyways, diet soda usually contains aspartame, an artificial sweetener that when it reaches high temperatures, forms formaldehyde (the same chemical found in rat poison). In fact, researchers have found that in a study on mice, aspartame led to the formation of cancer.

Thankfully, many soda companies are switching from aspartame to other artificial sweeteners in diet sodas, however, who is to say that those are any better? Also, many soda companies continue to use aspartame in diet sodas. The best way to find out is to simply read the ingredients on the label.
  2. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I have never heard of this before. But it does raise a good question. I know that diet soda in general is bad for you whether it has no calories or not! The amount of chemicals they put in it to even make it is gross. And there is no good findings on aspartame. I would use regular soda anyways. If you are that concerned about the extra calories, then stay away from that mixed drink to begin with!
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Interesting link, thank you.
    It does not say anything about reg/diet soda and hangovers. I know the sugar makes it worst, I wonder what effect or not the diet has?
    Now I can't test this for myself obviously... just curious.
  4. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I do not know if diet soda is worse to use as a mixer, but it is definitely worse for you than regular soda period. The artificial sweeteners used in diet soda have many harmful chemicals. These cause you to get addicted to diet soda quickly if you drink it frequently. They have also been linked to other health problems including symptoms similar to those associated with MS. Some studies show the artificial sweeteners may even cause cancer. I just gave up a complete addiction to Diet Mountain Dew a few weeks ago. Now I guzzle lots of water all day long and I do actually feel better.
  5. Pluto888

Pluto888 Member

Liposuction can help with losing weight a lot and now even men are doing it. You still need to work hard though...
  6. CharlesClark

CharlesClark Member

Well, I don't think carbonated drinks, they are not very healthy, even if they are called diet drinks. Maybe they do have an effect like that, I don't know, I've never noticed it. I have been obese for many years and what I have noticed is that they have a negative effect on my weight. I eliminated everything harmful from my diet and it was still not enough and I decided to add a hardware procedure that I found on the Ultimate Light factory site. After reading the reviews and the effect, I decided to try it and it helped me a lot. I lost weight and a huge plus was that I got rid of the flabby skin that I had formed. There is no way to compare the effect of diet soda and a serious weight loss scheme.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020