An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Different Drinks, Different Type of Hangover

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JoshPosh, Feb 26, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It seems to be a trend here with my friends. We have our specialty drinks and we never deviate from it. If we do mix our drinks or drink something that knowingly doesn't agree with our bodies, we go on a different type of drunk rampage.

For example, I drink beer. I know my how it will affect me and after taking a quick count I know how it will affect me at the end of the night. Now Tequila on the other hand, will mess me up if I attempt to drink that. The world is a blur after a couple of shots.

Anyone else here experience this before?
    henry likes this.
  2. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I totally have the same experience. Liquor is a bad idea. I don't drink AT ALL anymore, but when I did I mostly stuck to beer especially if we were going to be out all night.
  3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Yes, it's true. This is because some types of alcoholic drinks have a higher concentration of congeners, byproducts of fermentation in some alcohol. Not the alcohol itself. The darker the liquor/wine/beer the greater content of toxins & because different alcoholic drinks have different congeners combining them can result in horrible hangovers. Which is why a lot of people tend to stick with one style of drink for the night.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This certainly rings true. I can drink a good amount of beer and still feel OK but if I move onto shots or red wine, I get drunk so much quicker and feel terrible the next day. They always say never to mix your drinks and it's true. Stick to drinks you know you can handle.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Beer or any rum is alright for me, but wine and vodka can start making me feel sleepy and get drunk after a few drinks and usually drink at home as I have bed nearby to sleep on. I think hang overs occur when having a bit too much and can have a sore head the next day which can be like sleeping late and getting up early in the morning. I have to be aware of what I drink and always get my own drink so I know what it is when at home or at a mates house to be safe and not get real drunk.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I read a study recently that certain drinks give certain degrees of hangovers. I personally haven't noticed a difference though.
  7. BeachyKeen

BeachyKeen Member

I've heard that the different amounts of sugar in beer/wine/liquor have something to do with how quickly they're metabolised (or something, don't quote me on this!) For me though the biggest deciding factor in how hungover I will be is how much water/soft drinks I have before going to sleep after drinking.
  8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I had the same problem , but mine was not about beer and liquor, when I took liquor, I had to stick to one brand , as in, I could not mix vodka ,brandy, whisky, no I had to stick to one theme, if it is vodka , then I stick to vodka all night long, but if I shuffled any of this drinks , then for sure first thing in the morning, will be hugging the toilet bowl.
  9. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

My 21st birthday is in about a month from now, and the only thing I'm really worried about is the possibility of a hangover from drinking. I've never had one before, and I honestly really don't drink very often. Even if I do drink, it's a beer or two at most. I'm not saying that I'm going to get drunk for my birthday, but I'm not saying that it won't happen, and I really don't want to end up spending the next day feeling super sick.
  10. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I actually had a hangover today from drinking vodka mixed with wine and beer. Now I love vodka, but I think I just overdid it last night because of the things I mixed in it. I poured beer and wine inside of it. If I had just stuck with the juice, or just drank it on the rocks, I would have been fine. I can drink vodka straight because I am used to it and know how it will affect me. I also drink beer and I know that it will not get me drunk so I wouldn't expect a hangover to follow. Vodka never gives me a hangover either except for when I go crazy mixing it with everything. I should just stick with vodka and don't mix it with nothing else because hangovers are not fun at all.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I know that if I have a couple of vodka and cranberry drinks I will be ok the next day. I get the natural fruit juice and only a little alcohol. I never exceed 2 because I will feel like garbage the next day. I also never have more than 2 glasses of red wine because I will feel dehydrate and have a headache the next day. I don't really drink anything else.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Me personally I usually only drink beer but when and if i do drink anything else the hangover in the morning as always been pretty much the same.
    I've always found it a bit of a myth like if you mix your drink's you'll have a bad stomach, that doesnt happen to me either.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Of course there are different effects on your body, it depends on the alcohol concentration and also the ingredients used in making it. For example, beer won't have the same effect as vodka. That thing messes up with your brain (and stomach) pretty bad.
  14. Pinoy Jade

Pinoy Jade Active Contributor

I guess it really does depends on the strength of the alcohol if it is pretty bad or not. Stronger alcohol produces a worse hang over comparing to the alcohol having a light component
  15. TinVanMan

TinVanMan Member

I think a lot of it depends on the strength of the alcohol, not so much just the different qualities of it. When I drank beer I eventually got exhausted from drinking so much. However, a couple shots of hard liquor and I was in a bad way right away. I also noticed that wine had a similar effect to beer, maybe because it is much stronger than beer. Either way, I should probably just avoid all of it for my own safety.
  16. vi0let

vi0let Member

I certainly agree that different drinks give different types of hangovers. Most nights I can drink a ton of beer and wake up feeling relatively normal. However, there is certain types of wine I'll drink and hardly even catch a buzz and immediately I will get a horrible headache and upset stomach.
  17. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

This may sound kind of weird, but when I did drink it was only to get to drunk. I didn't really see any other point of drinking, because I never liked the taste of alcohol. So, I'm not the guy who drinks a few beers at a party. Instead, I was the guy who took maybe 6-7 shots so I could just go crazy at whatever particular party I was at.

I think I had that mentality, because I used to smoke Marijuana. It doesn't make sense to smoke Marijuana and not get high, because by the time you take a few hits you just think well maybe I'll get a little higher. Next thing you know you and your friend have smoked an entire joint. That's off topic, but I would definitely recommend not drinking every time to just get drunk. It's just bad logic.
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've experienced this many times which is why I now know not to mix beer with hard drinks. Also whenever I drink hard alcohol I try and remind myself to ease up since it takes a while for me to feel the effects and by the time I feel it I might have already drank too much. I'm not a big drinker so I've gotten my own balance down to a science by now just so I could manage myself more properly when I'm out with friends.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I think your health condition at the time of drinking also matters. For instance, I'm only a social drinker but I got to drink tequila only twice in the last few years. The first time, it only made me groggy. The second time, it took me off after five shots. The difference? The first time I drank tequila, I wasn't physically tired and my body was relatively in great shape. So even if I nearly downed the whole pitcher, I was still able to stand up and walk like normal (with slight wobbles). During my second try, I just came off a gruelling writing job which involved the completion of 10-page thesis. No wonder I passed out after a few shots.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Tequila for me is also the alcohol that really messes me up and leaves me with a nasty hangover. Beer, cider, vodka - they don't seem to affect me. Wine occasionally comes with a nasty hangover for me, but it wasn't something that happened on every single occasion that I drank when. But tequila - oh man...each and every time it really did a number on me.