An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Different ways to inspire?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 3, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

I know this is a pretty broad question, but I'd like to know what are the different ways one can inspire someone. I know we all talk about inspiration and how important it is for recovering addicts and people in general. But we don't talk much about the action of it like how can we it.

So, do you have any tips, examples, suggestions, stories and etc to share?
  2. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

Simple means are often the best for inspiration, such as a smile or a compliment. You don't need to hold their world up for them, just let them know they don't have to shoulder it themselves.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Just getting better. I think if you take it upon yourself to get better, the people around you will be inspired and get better just by that.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think the best way to inspire people is to lead by example, and I'd give extra emphasis on lead because good leaders are able to bring out the best in people. They don't make excuses on how their workers are not up to speed or any other reason for not reaching the goal, they simply just do what they do best and inspire their workers and followers to do better, and they guide them when they need it. I think just trying to be the best leader you can be is a good guideline to follow when trying to inspire others, because usually words don't do much, but actions speak a lot louder.
  5. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

I agree leading by example will definitely help people get better in they want too.
  6. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Pointing out and complimenting progress really encouraging. Sometimes people don't see the progress they are making because it is slow and takes time, but helping them realize they have made steps in the right direction and they are getting better can really help them fend of discouragement.
  7. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Knowledge mostly is my inspirational guidance, because it helps me individually and possibly can help others willing to hear me out too. Also, he/she who is ignorant or has illusions of knowledge, will never accomplish any worthwhile goals in their life, because he/she lacks the learnable knowledge to refine their mind and body to a higher quality. More over, knowledge isn't something one attains or gains only, truly, it's mostly letting go of the unbeneficial things one keeps in their mind to allow more of other qualitative things to sync with one's being and thinking, thus leading to better actions - in other words, what one knows is garbage, should be rid of immediately.

Never stop learning and reflecting from one's experiences, from guides and teachers with experiences, from books, from the internet, etc., because it is better to have knowledge of something than to be without it, especially when one is stuck in a situation that calls for it to be applied but one never tried to learn it.
  8. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

Speak your mind - there is no better way to be heard that to vocally project your thoughts into the world. There is a good chance that what makes you happy, or angry, or sad, is also what makes other people feel the same way.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Letting someone know or feel that he or she is important could inspired one to do the right thing. Also showing that you care and understand will bring hope to the person who needs those the most. Also just being there and lending a shoulder or your ears could bring a difference. :)
  10. popcorn365

popcorn365 Member

Try to get people to remember who they are. When people try helping others out with their addictions, everything becomes about the addiction and less about the person. For the addicted person, they might not know who they are without their addiction source. Help people explore who they are and who they want to become
  11. CieraLashae

CieraLashae Member

Through poetry, providing encouraging words at the right time, and simply just being there for a loved one in need of support in spite of your issues.
  12. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

Be honest. Sometimes, people just need someone to tell them the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

To inspire anyone, I'm guessing you need to find what they are missing in their lives, and attempt to fill that void. For some it might be a shoulder to cry on, a simple friendship, or training them in the weight room. Everyone has different needs. You need to see what you can provide for those in need.
  14. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I think we can inspire others through showing kindness, compassion and empathy. So many people who are struggling feel like they have people attacking them from all sides. Sometimes they just need one person to show them that they care in a non-judgmental way and that can make a world of difference.
  15. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

That along with praise. Praise people for their accomplishments and don't be afraid to admit to your failures to them. Show them they do not have to be perfect to move forward in life. If you want to inspire them, you show them the way.
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Very true, and very good point. I think society focuses too much on acknowledgement a of achievement and not enough on failures which is a huge part of life. If people can be shown how to fail gracefully and how to keep moving forward then we'd have much more mentally healthy adults in our communities.
  17. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I always believed that there is no such thing as failure, just set backs and lessons. Once you figure out the lesson or how to get around the set back you will achieve your goal. Its all a matter of setting your mind to thinking that no matter how many times you fall, you just have to pick yourself up and keep walking. Eventually you will stop falling.
  18. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Leading by example and praising good behavior are two really good methods. Helping people learn to forgive themselves and not beat themselves up is another. Sometimes, people get so down on themselves in this type of struggle that it can become self-defeating. I think finding ways to help them forgive themselves is just as important as other people forgiving them.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Inspiring people is not that easy to actualize. I mean, it makes for a good subject when discussing ideals and theories but concrete methods of implementation are rather few and far between. I think it would be inspiring for them if they get to meet former substance abusers who successfully completed the rehab process and have been sober for several years now. Another is to expose them to existential philosophy so they can gain perspective about life and making a meaningful existence. Last but not the least, community outreach programs will open their eyes to the struggles of other people, which will help them realize they're not the only ones suffering here on earth.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a good one. I always think of the people throughout my life that have inspired me. I think that all of what is being said here is true. Being an inspiration is the icing on the cake. Inspire others, yes, but be the inspiration. Be it for yourself when no one else does. There's the real feat.
    Some people who have failed really horribly at things eventually are even more successful than the average because of the failure. Eventually you get it right. The most successful at this and the most prosperous. The best relationship and marriage. Doesn't matter how many jobs or relationships fail. If you are doing your best you will get it right and you will do it in a big way. I can do this I am the best.