An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Different ways to inspire?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

How to inspire is the question. I think that all the qualities an inspirational person has are; smiling a lot, and eye contact with people. Using as much empathy as possible. If you don't seem to have it you better get it and master it. Or you'll never be any kind of an inspiration. Charisma, being charismatic is another part of it. Charisma that is healthy and used properly can be the biggest form of inspiration. Charisma used incorrectly can be damaging. Lacing it with ego or directing it for harming another's feelings is a bad idea. It will cause resentment and no inspiration will come of it.
    Compliments given, but supportive of areas where the person needs inspiration. This is where the empathy comes into play. If you can put yourself in someone else's shoes you should know where they need inspiration or encouragement. How John Travolta talks about his Mom always inspiring him is a great example. "Look at how well he takes the garbage out. He does such a good job. Thank you." She said this to him when he was a kid.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

- Set a good example
    If you want others to follow your advices and suggestions, they must be able to see that you are doing those things as well. Practice what you preach.

- Volunteering
    Being a volunteer in any kind of outreach program or activity would inspire others to become a better person by also sharing their skills without asking for anything in return.

- Writing
    You can also be able to inspire other people just by writing. You can pour your heart out into literature. The pen is mightier than the sword, isn't it? Put your talents in writing into good use.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think you can inspire people simply by your actions. If you're acting in a way that essentially practices what you preach, then people look up to that and are inspired.

I also try and inspire people with words - something that is encouraging or motivational really can have the power to change someone's day, I feel.