An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dinintel will be the death of me- how do I stop?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Davienna, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

It was easier for me getting over my alcohol addiction, than it is for me to get over this prescription drug addiction. Ever since My early high school years I have been trying several weight loss pills as I was never pleased with my body, however none really helped me to lose weight. A few years ago I was introduced to Dinintel by a doctor friend of mine, I also knew the side effects were great as they included heart attack, stroke etc. I still decided to take the risk and I actually lost 40 pounds in little over a month and kept it off for a year, until I had my daughter and regained every pound.
    Now here I am , for the past two years struggling to get my sexy back and I have bought more dinintel than I had intended to. The drug does not seem to be working for me anymore yet as soon as I am out of them I refill my prescription or just buy it over counter. I really want to stop because of the risks associated and also the fact that it is not helping me anymore, but how and where do I start when every time I look in the mirror, all I see is this big fat girl that I really do not want to be. Sometimes I think that is the main factor in me not being able to find a companion, maybe they too think I am too fat. I now weigh 196 pounds but I guess I have to be comfortable with myself before I will be able to break the addiction.

Picture: I took this a month ago going to the beach, I could not even wear a bikini- none can fit:(

Attached Files:

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Have you thought of seeing a nutritionist? Maybe that is who you need to talk with about losing weight. Being comfortable with yourself first before losing pills addiction.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've heard this on many occasions:

"The secret to being comfortable is not losing weight."

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to lose some weight. Most people who'd tell you that you need to have a slim waist etc probably have a body image problem. The best advice I'd give is to exercise a little every day. Stop comparing yourself against what you were back in time and how different you are right now. We all go through some of these things in life. Even some men pile on weight when they stop working out.

It's normal for women to gain some weight when they have a kid and it takes a bit of time before they trim down and sometimes they don't get back the old shape they had.

It all begins in the mind. Love yourself the way you are. Exercise more and when you gradually start losing weight maybe it would be easier to stop taking the pills.
  4. Profit5500

Losing weight could be a good thing or bad. If you have a good nutritious diet then you would lose weight no problem. The huge issue is that people have different body types so its hard to see how someone needs to lose weight since we are all different.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

But even when eating only the right kind of food unless you work out a little would it make a huge difference? Of course that doesn't apply to people with a higher BMR. For everyone else however, you'd need to put in some work to either stop gaining weight or if you exercise more, start losing weight gradually.
    I agree though there comes to a point where you stop shedding those excess pounds and start bulking up if that would be fine by you.
  6. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Davienna, I hear you because I used to obsess over the same thing. Take this quiz. There could be another issue contributing to your Dinintel addiction.
  7. Profit5500

Bulking up is cool but for people who do not know how to do it its overwhelming. I am one of those people who does not know too much about gaining muscle so it would be a challenge to conquer.
  8. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Exercise and good nutrition will help you get to a healthy weight the healthy way. If you are addicted to the drug now, you may need to wean off it. I don't know much about how addictive this drug is so I don't know how hard that would be. Find someone who can support you in this for sure, encouragement is a big thing in getting off an addictive substance.

Since you are a mom, focusing on being healthy so you can be there for your daughter is very important. I am sure you already know that, but use it as a motivational factor to remind yourself to stay the course and get free of this. Instead of focusing on your weight on the scale or even your shape, focus on making healthy choices each day. Just changing your diet a little bit to avoid unhealthy foods and eat more healthy ones and adding regular moderate exercise can make a huge difference over time. Rushing weight loss usually doesn't work out in the long run, a slower steady progress is more lasting as you don't feel as tired or deprived.
  9. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Davienna,
    I pray that you are able to stop this addiction. I am by no means a doctor, but there seems like there are some underlying issues that may be contributing to your addiction. You need to find out what is truly causing your addiction. I can say that the best way to lose weight is through a healthy diet and exercise. I can certainly sympathize with your weight gain after giving birth and I have to say that patience and perseverance will help you to get the weight off, along with a healthy diet and exercise.
  10. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I would say exercise, and see a nutritionist, take it one day at a time and you will get there and have the coonfidence that you can loose weight through exercising and eating the right foods.
  11. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I would love to work with a nutritionist, well if only I had that money. Eating healthy is also a great option but the healthier foods are the most expensive here, luxuries that I cannot afford. I have reduced my intake though and has been trying advices that I received here. Thanks a lot.