An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Discontent

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Apr 4, 2016.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Mike Murdock said 'Discontent is the catalyst for change.' If you are discontent with something in your life, whether it is your dependency on drugs or alcohol, your health, your relationships, your job, or whatever, use this discontent to drive you to want to change your life. Focus on how this negative part of your life really is not working, and allow it to fuel your desire to change for the better. As you work to maintain your goal and time goes on, you will be able to achieve happiness in this area of your life.

Are there things in your life that you are discontent with? How can you use them as fuel to change?
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

That is a very nice post. Thinking of it, there are so many things I was discontent with and I gradually began to manipulate them to my favor.

Nothing is permanent, no matter the situation but it does not mean we should manage it because that is what life is handing over to us. There are ways we can manipulate situations so that they can help us grow through life.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think discontent can be a positive catalyst for change. However, sometimes we make changes and they are not permanent and we end up in worse shape than we were before. I think the factor here is to make intelligent changes and not changes just based on a whim or a feeling, but make changes we are capable of sustaining over time and that work to our benefit. However, sometimes like when quitting a substance, it takes several tries before we can do it, and we shouldn't get down on ourselves doing the process.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Right now, for the most part I am content with things in my life. I think that I would like to be able to earn a little bit more - my husband is the breadwinner and I would like that feeling that I was contributing more in the financial sense. I am actually trying to look into freelance writing from home (I'm a stay at home mom right now) so that I can still be home with my daughter!

Everything else though right now in life is great and where I want it to be - but it has certainly taken work and struggles to get to this point. I think that's what I would remind others. I've gone through some awful times, but things did get better.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I like that concept, and if you've learnt how to work with it, you really are on your way to make big changes and get rid of the aspects that hold you back or make you unhappy. But the reality is that it takes a while to let go and make the necessary adjustments. If it was all rational and logical, it would be so much easier. In my case it's always the emotions that make it difficult to make rapid changes even if I know they are long overdue. I'm a terrible sentimentalist.
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Discontentment can be good as well as. Sometimes discontentment will inspire people to do good and sometimes discontentment will make people frustrated and angry. It actually depends on people. It has positive effects as well as negative effects.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I do experience a few situations right now where I feel discontent regarding my personal life. What I do about it is I try to rise above it and ignore the negative people around me.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If you hate something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. How true. There are some things which we can change and there are others which we can't. To avoid getting even more frustrated when our hard work to change things we don't like doesn't get rewarded we should determine which things can or can't be changed. For the ones which we can't change we need to change our attitude towards them.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I recently took an Oxford-authored test and it said that I'm generally content with my life but that doesn't mean I have to stop there. I see plenty of room for personal improvement. For instance, I am still half-way through fulfilling my real dreams. I don't know what's stopping me but there are days when I just feel so tired that I refuse to do anything physically and mentally exhausting. I feel just a little bit stuck in my career path right now and thoughts about whether I will manage to achieve my dreams occasionally makes me depressed. I try to perk myself up by reading inspirational quotes and stories and tell myself to always persevere and do it at my own time and pace. If I go about it calmly, I'll get there before I realize it.

I harbor the same hope for everyone. We can be happy and content in our current situation but that doesn't mean we should stop learning or finding inspiration. We can always be better.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I am actually happy with the way my life turned around. There was a point in my life though where I felt like everything is wrong and didn't happen according to my plan. And that has made me realise that if I want change to happen, I have to make it happen. Since then, I started working on my dreams and goals in life. And even though I didn't get the dream that I wanted when I was younger, I have created new dreams and goals that are more appropriate for this time in my life.

Discontentment can actually be helpful or unhelpful. One friend of mine was very discontented with her life, she abuses nicotine, alcohol and got into bad relationships. All because of a bad relationship with her child's father. It has lead her into bad decisions. The worst thing is, she didn't use this discontent to fuel her life into positive channels. And right now, she's still the same person, abusing nicotine and alcohol. She has left her son in the care of her mother in law.

So it can work both ways... But it's important to take the positive route no matter what. And even if you take the negative route, know that you can always change paths. Use that discontentment to make the right decisions and attain your goals in life. Good luck!
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've often found my life changing course after I've gone through a period of frustration and discontent. This has often helped me during periods when I wasn't happy with how business was going, and I came to a point where I realized I had to make some hard choices and make changes.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

If you are discontent or is not please to the things that you had in life or to what is happening into your life then you must do something in order for you to be find contentment in your life. It is just a matter of having that positive attitude in your mind so that you will have the determination to face the challenges of your life to make it better and meaningful.
  13. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Hey there, @irishrose, this is one rockin' topic! It actually applies to a situation or two in my own life at the moment, so thanks for bringing it up. I guess mine is a combination of both getting into a comfort zone and being afraid of the big, wide, crazy world out there. But it really is time for me to pull up my big girl panties, make what preparations are necessary and move forward with my life. Change versus more of the same, as they say.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice that a usually define as a negative word such as discontent was given a positive meaning. True that if you like something to change in your life, you should do something new or different. One must not be contented in the usual thing in order to have changes.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm afraid to take a big step in my life and it has everything to do with this, is something that I NEED to change, because I feel that is destroying me slowly and painfully, but I'm terrified of doing it, because of what people may say, especially my father... And then I start to doubting: what if is not the best thing for me? What if I don't really need it? But I think that all of those doubts has to do with my fear to face it... But I'm aware that I need to move, I need to do something in order to change it, and I need to do it now because is not going to fall of the sky and nobody else will do it for me...
    "In order to be brave, you have to be afraid".