An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Discuss with your child early enough.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by deewanna, Jul 15, 2015.

1. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

When parents speak to their youngsters early and sometimes about substance abuse, youngsters are much less prone to go into drugs.

Once you can discuss drugs with your little ones as early as possible, it makes it possible for them to open up to you easier. But if you don't start early enough,it is possible that they won't tell you the truth. Older teens are more likely to hide the truth than younger teens.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think that even the "younger teens" would hide the fact that they use drugs but I agree with you. Parents should talk to their children about the consequences of using toxic substances, drinking alcohol and so on before it's too late.
    They have to learn from a young age to not fall prey to that "teenager hype".
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@deewanna... You're absolutely right. I believe that parents should start talking to their kids about drugs very early on. Education can lead to prevention.
  4. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I agree that the discussion about drugs needs to begin very early! I'd say second grade age, with just the general idea of why drugs are bad, etc. Unless you're in an area where the child is likely to be exposed to people using drugs (a family member uses, people in the neighborhood sell drugs, etc). Then it needs to begin even earlier.

The idea of DARE, waiting until the kids are 10 or 11 isn't working anymore. There are a good number of kids in some area who may have smoked or drank (at least a first try) by age 11 these days. DARE needs to be revamped and implemented when kids are younger.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I only have an infant right now, but I want our household to be one of open communication - I don't want to keep anything secretive or taboo when it comes to conversation. I want to educate my kids about the dangers of drugs, but I also want them to feel like they can come to me to talk about any concerns they may have.

I think having those open lines of communication is the best line of defence in terms of keeping kids away from drugs.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As far as I'm concerned the earlier you tackle the issue the better when it comes to your children. While a lot of parents find it an uncomfortable topic to talk about, aswell as getting the right information, children will also see that you are open about subject's like that, and they will know they'll be able to come to you in the future if they ever need your advice.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Talking to kids, telling them about the negative effects of drug abuse can keep them off drugs but parents must set a good example and do all they can to ensure everyone who comes in contact with their kids [while they are still young and impressionable] doesn't negatively influence them. Be a good role model and the kids will want to be like you.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think the best thing for parents to do is to have good and open communication with their children so they would not be tempted to rebel against you or hide secrets from you. It is really important to trust our children and we should not be too strict, but rather, we should be understanding and patient with them.
  9. light

light Active Contributor

I absolutely agree with you. Discussing drugs with your children or even making a family conversation about drugs is very necessary. The way this conversation is held is very important because children a very curious, especially to prohibited things. You should not consider drug as something very fearful and obscure but it might be good to show the results of drug addiction with an educational video. Make sure not to judge drug addicts though because in the future your children may have friends who have fallen into the trap of drugs. So your children should have it clear that they can find support on you for every situation where drugs are involved.
  10. mystirtn

mystirtn Member

I agree that discussing with your child early about drugs is a good start, but, it is not the only thing to do. Make sure that you have good communication with your child and also try to bolster their self-esteem. Teach them that they do not need to be a follower and that they can say no. Make sure your child knows that you will love them no matter what, even if they mess up. I had a really good relationship with my mother and I knew all about drugs when I was young, but that didn't stop me from trying them. I never developed a drug problem, but I have tried several drugs and alcohol. Another thing that I have found is to keep your child active and they will be less likely to use drugs. Most of the time I was bored and had nothing to commit myself to. When I had something to take up my time, I didn't think about drugs or alcohol.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Bonding with your child really is the best option to go with when you want them to be more closer to you. You can easily guide them better in the topic of drugs, peer pressure, etc. and you can explain to them the bad effects of drugs so that they are better off not trying it.
  12. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Bonding, yes, that's the word. Bonding with your child at an early stage makes it possible and easy for them to tell you anything. Including their secrets. Even if they are going through peer pressure or any kind of pressure teenagers go through, they would be free enough with you to tell you what they are going through. This way they get safe advice from you and they won't fall into wrong hands.
  13. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

I know that when I see my children are mature enough and will understand I will be talking to them about drugs and abuse I have seen way to much to let my children grow up not knowing the outcome of addiction
  14. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

The younger we are, the more teachable are. Lifetime values are normally picked up from childhood days. There is even a famous proverb that says: " Train up the child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it". So it is definitely a good thing to instill good values in our children from the earlier years.
  15. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Indeed, informing our children about the ill effects of drug abuse from a tender age does not guarantee that they will stay away from drugs. Like you mentioned, peer pressure can set in. So talking to them from childhood is most important as it creates a bond that allows them to share with you for lifetime. They will learn to confide in their parents even when they are doing the wrong thing.
  16. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

It can really be an awkward conversation to bring up and have but it is required, you can't just ignore it or repeat that drugs are bad over to your kids like a lecture, they need to fully understand the harm involved so they can understand the choice they need to make in life.
  17. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, but at the same time teenagers are still teenagers, no matter how much you talk to them about dangers in life they are always going to have some secrets. Having a good communication with them in fundamental (as it is with all relationships) and I think that they can be a lot more open if you are constantly taking to them, lets just not expect miracles.
  18. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

How we raise our kids from the onset will greatly determine how or whom they become character wise when they grow up. It's important that we teach them about morals and what is expected of them while they are still young as opposed to leaving them to learn from their peers or worse, from the media.
  19. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I am in support of the fact that parents should discuss about drugs with their children at a young age, it is best to catch them young. Once you educate them about drugs, addictions, and its effects early, they will be smart enough to avoid it, plus you gain their confidence in you to discuss other issues freely.
  20. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have to say I agree with this as I always chat to my son about this and he now comes home and tells me about all his friends and their smoking or drinking etc. He hates it and does not want to try any substance. This can only be a good thing.