An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Disgusting

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Grimp, May 13, 2015.

1. Grimp

Grimp Member

I smoke cigarettes occasionally. The idea comes to my head that its somthing I would like to do and when I smoke one, I just feel like eeuuugh. I really dont find cigarettes addictive, however, I like am a little addicted to marijuana, so when I dont have any marijuana I smoke a cig.
    And nearly every time I do I regret it, its so unsatisfying and I honestly cannot understand how people can smoke them every day. Do you think some people are very sensitive to the toxins in cigarettes? I think I am and thats why I cant become addicted because they make me feel sick.
  2. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Ha ha, that's the story of how I started. You will soon find yourself having the that dizzy feeling from the cigarette, after that you shall think you don't need marijuana at all if you can have that feel for so little money, but believe me, it's just a trick. For about 2-3 months after I've started smoking I was smoking like 1-2 cigarettes 4-5 times a week, only when I was out with my friend as a society gesture, I never realized it got to be a problem until after I started smoking more, and I started smoking daily, at some point I tried to cut back, managed to do it for a few weeks, but then I just couldn't control my desire for smoking cigarettes.
  3. Grimp

Grimp Member

haha, honestly, I've been occasionally smoking ciggarettes for 8 years now. Usually I only smoke tobac with marijuana on the weekends. I can still go for days and weeks without smoking tobac. I dont feel like I can develop a strong addiction to tobac as I find it too unpleasant compared to MJ... But yea, I do have a kind of addiction to MJ, but rather I call it an obsession.
    I do beleive I have a small addiction to smoking tobac yes, but I know for a fact I could never be a guy who smokes every day as Its not enjoyable enough for me, and I enjoy the taste of fresh air too much! What do you think about fresh air? Aint it tasty? mmmmm
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

A lot of people are sensitive to the toxins in cigarettes, but really, everyone is initially. It is non-natural chemicals that are being released into your body, so of course your body is not going to know what to do with that.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I personally didn't like them at all when I started, but I smoked nonetheless because I was forced by peer pressure, essentially. I didn't understand what kind of pleasure one could get upon smoking a cigarette, but if I had tried to debate over it whilst smoking, too, it would have been quite of hypocritical from me.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of people don't actually like the idea of smoking a cigarette. It's just something you did growing up, to fit in with your friends.

I smoked every now and again until eventually I was smoking 20 a day for quite a few years.

I've gone full circle now though and I'm back down to only smoking 3 or 4 now.
    amin021023 likes this.
  7. Grimp

Grimp Member

haha, I never smoked cigarettes to fit in with my friends, however I enjoy smoking with my friends. I'm not the kind of guy to follow the herd, so even when I'm smoking cigarettes I will say how shi**y i think it is, and sometimes, ill say how much I am enjoying it too!
  8. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Smoking has grown roots deep into our societies that even with all the horrible effects and cancer that we know it causes, we simply can't get rid of them.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I don't mean to be intrusive but I don't understand why you go back to smoking tobacco every weekend when you don't like the taste of it. It sounds like it's not exactly something to look forward to at the end of the week. I mean if you like marijuana, there are other ways of consuming it. You don't have to smoke it with tobacco.
  10. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

That's what every smoker told himself at the start, everyone one of us enjoyed the taste of fresh air too much to get addicted, until they actually got. I'm not against you mate, I just don't want you to fall into a trap you might be setting yourself.
  11. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

That's exactly how I started, word for word, aside from the eight years part. Took me maybe three years to get addicted. Be careful you don't get a cross addiction though. You mention that you have a slight pot problem. Adding nicotine to the mix won't help at all. You may very well be withdrawaling from nicotine and not know. That could be what your pot cravings are all about.

It's like spreading nicotine all over your Xbox controller and saying you have a video game addiction.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

A lot of addicts nowadays smoke cigarettes not because they like the way it tastes or the way it makes that specific person feel, but rather the craving process your body goes through. You just feel the need to smoke a cigarette, it's something "programmed" in your subconcious mind.
  13. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

Most people who smoke daily simply don't care about the negative health consequences. This makes anti-smoking adverts and campaigns highly ineffective. As a smoker I enjoy the taste of the tobacco and it does not make me feel sick. I would assume this correlates with nicotine addiction.
  14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

A friend of mine is now facing a terrible true; having smoking for years have made him develop COPD stage 3, what means emphysema, and now he feels lost.

He said to have quit smoking years ago, but who know if this was real at all as I was not with him full time to watch over. If he did it really, too sad smoking had lead him to a life-threatening condition.

If he lied and kept smoking, how sad he had to reach this stage to understand how bad tobacco is.