An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

DivorceCare group?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by frogsandlegos, Nov 3, 2014.

1. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Has anyone ever participated in a DivorceCare group? It is a nationwide program with groups all across the country.

What are your thoughts on it? Good or Bad? Would you recommend it to a friend? Do they force you to speak up?

Thanks for your advice and thoughts.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

3. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think it is a good idea to go and check it out. You are not forced to stay or speak and you can see if you feel comfortable there before you want to fully commit. You might like it and it might help you but just go and see.
  4. stariie

stariie Community Champion

This is my first time hearing about an official group, but I have heard about very informal types of support groups for divorce. If I was going through a divorce, I would definitely check it out, because divorce can be very painful, it can be like a death in the family.
    (Then again, divorce can feel like a relief and a breath of cool, fresh air. One of my favorite aunts has been divorced twice...)
    If you go to one of these meetings and don't like it, you don't have to go back.
  5. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

I've never heard of it before, but it sounds like a very good group to at least try out. It wouldn't hurt to attend a few times and see how well you fit into the group and see if it can help you with any problems you may have. Divorce can be a horrible taxing time for anyone, but especially for those who are recovering addicts. Large upheavals in your life can cause a ton of stress and trigger you to use again if you aren't careful. It never hurts to have someone to talk to and vent with.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I have never heard of the like. I just visited their website and saw that this group is "a divorce recovery support group where you can find help and healing for the hurt of separation and divorce." I honestly think it's great that someone thought of putting up a group like this. Sometimes, when a person who's going through something lacks a proper support system, tendency is he will look for a group with whom he can share his awful feelings to.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This is the first time I had heard about this DivorceCare group. I think this is a kind of good group that can give moral support to those who wants to consult about what to do after the breakup and separation in their married life that failed and what to do to move on with their life. I think this kind of support group focus more on enlightening on the brighter side of life after the divorce. But it is still better to save the relationship of a married life for the sake of the children and for the family as a whole rather than thinking to have a divorce.
  8. juno

juno Community Champion

Divorce can be a really difficult time for some people and support group with no pressure can be really helpful. It is particularly goor if you can drop in as needed, because some dats are just hader than others. However, to avoide takeing away attention from the rest of the group, it is better to attend regularly.
  9. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Divorce is a very ugly thing, and it is especially difficult for children. Lives will change and families with kids become insecure and feel neglected so it is important to make sure that you do have a support system if not for you, then for your children.