An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do afirmations work?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Lizel, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I've heard many positive opinions due to afirmations on different forums from really a lot of people from around the world, and they say that their lives have really changed just due to afirmating and relaxing excercises. I'm really skeptic to this, because I wouldn't want to buy a CD and a book all about that stuff, and give a fail attempt, because that would really put me down, if it wouldn't bring any changes due to my lack of confidence. What do you guys think about it? :)
  2. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I think afirmations can work, but first you have to believe in what you are saying or doing. If you don't believe in the afirmations then they will not work.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think they are just another method of utilizing positive thinking. The idea is that life is a self-fulfilling prophecy. So if you believe you will fail, the theory says you probably will. Similarly, if you tell yourself constantly that you will succeed, it is much more likely.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I guess they do work, but in my opinion, you don't need to buy those CD's and books. All you need to do is to speak to yourself loudly and positively, like build your ego and praise yourself for any job done well or for other things, like your blessings, intelligence, looks, supportive friends and family, etc. You will see an increase in your confidence eventually.
  5. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Yeah, I guess that believing and really wanting a change is the key for afirmations to be successful for you. :D
  6. nextus21

nextus21 Member

Absolutely they work, but it can be tricky, especially at first. It is part of cognitive/behavioral psychology. Thoughts lead to feelings which lead to actions which lead to thoughts etc. You really have to identify for yourself the thoughts that are leading you astray and have in place a replacement thought which is where the relaxation/meditation comes in. You practice relaxation in order to learn to accept the thoughts that come your way and practice not judging yourself as you learn to redirect your thoughts.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Different forms of treatment work for different people but in most cases, affirmations do have a positive effect on people who need to get their lives back on track. I once bought this meditation CD, given to me by a friend I met through an event. After an hour or so of just listening to the voice in the CD and repeating affirming words that it wanted me to repeat, I felt a whole lot better and more sure of myself. Affirmation makes you love yourself, imperfections and all, so it's very for treatment purposes.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

You don't really have to buy any books or CD's for for affirmations. Simply think of what you really want and start with one or two simple sentences, such as "I am strong." Or "I am healthy." That's all you need. Write your affirmations on some cards and hang them around your home, like above your stove in the kitchen, next to the mirror in your bathroom, etc. Places where you always see your words. Repeat the words that you have written down and let them sink deep into your consciousness. Feel what they signify. And become your words.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Personally I don't believe much in self help books or audio CDs. I think it's best to find a way to get some affirmation from yourself. That's not to say I don't believe that these books don't help anybody at all, I'm sure it works for some, but I just think being able to craft your own psychological state is better and will eventually prove to be a stronger foundation.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  10. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Yes, but the more planned it is, there less genuine it's going to become. I believe that affirmation is helpful but not particularly when you turn them into exercises or if you listen to them from someone on a CD. They need to be personal and genuine to make a difference.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Same here. I don't have really much faith in self help books or CDs. Surely, they can do a trick or two, but it still depends on you.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Glad you agree. I'm sure some of the authors have good intentions but I'm always skeptical and see most of them as just doing it for the money by repackaging some inspirational thoughts and lessons. For the most part whenever I see self help books I think to myself that the only one I'd be helping is the author by giving them my money.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Positive thoughts attract positive things. The law of attraction works that way. Affirmations work because your sub-conscious gets the message that you desire to have something. And it will re-wire your brain so that your mind also wants what you want. If you have the will to win there's a high probability that you'll do all it takes to win. So yeah, I'm one of those who believe that affirmations actually work.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It is actually pretty simple. It does re-wire your brain as Rainman says. I've done it here and there. It is quite astonishing really. When I first began to try this. It was just 3 or 4 somewhat simple things. But when I put it on full force with something I really wanted. I was blown away. It's almost like you have to really think about what you are going to affirm because it is coming. You create it with your mind and then your mind actually has to deal with it so give it some careful thought.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I am one of those people whose lives have been completely changed. However, I did not use self-affirmation alone. It is, however, a very powerful technique which does work and which hypnosis relies upon very much. Self-affirmation is something all of us does every day, we just don't consciously realize it. We are, however, always subconsciously reaffirming our beliefs whether positive or negative on a daily basis. Self-affirmation combined with other similar techniques can actually be incredibly powerful when done properly. You don't need to spend any money to learn about these things. There are many free ebooks available that can help and there's plenty of information available online. The one book I would suggest you try to get if you really want to discover the true power of self-help/self-improvement is Teach Yourself NLP by Steve Bavister and Amanda Vickers. It's almost like a user manual for your mind!
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I haven't used them myself, really - but I think like anything in life, different techniques work for different people. If someone benefits from using affirmations and it helps them tackle things in their life, I say more power to them! It's a good thing if you ask me!!
  17. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Affirmations seem to be working at first, but later it stops functioning. That is because simply affirmations are not enough, you need to work on your affirmation. For example, you say to yourself "I will cut two pounds this month," however, if you do not work in the diet and exercise plan,your affirmations will fail.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This right here is a perfect example of why it doesn't work for many people. Linguistics is also a big part of it hence the fields of psycholinguistics and neuro linguistic programming - language programs the mind. The statement "I will cut two pounds this month" is not a self-affirmation, it's a negative suggestion. It suggests that you still have two pounds to cut and also makes it sound like a challenge.