An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do alcoholics effect feel sick?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by DK01, Feb 13, 2015.

1. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

I've often wondered whether alcoholics get that sick feeling we all get when we've drunk too much? I am not an alcoholic, but whenever I've drunk a certain amount, I usually have to stop because if I do I'll get sick. Do people drink past this feeling?
  2. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

At first, it's possible. However, the more you drink, the more your body gets use to it.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Am pretty sure you are referring to binge drinking which in my opinion is quite risky to one's health. Back in the day,we used to embark on drinking sprees with my buddies and boy! we clubbed and drunk till the crack of dawn. In retrospective, i think we exposed ourselves to grave danger what with the copius amounts we drunk,never mind we hardly ate sufficient meals.
  4. Redrun

Redrun Member

What he said. Basically you get numb to the effect that alcohol has on your body. You may feel slightly sick, but the alcohol itself also helps to numb any effect that has on you. It's quite common among binge drinkers in fact to be oblivious to their bodily situation until they pass out entirely. I have had some friends who drank so much at one go that they later just passed out entirely and we've had to carry them, put them in the taxi and bring them home. And there was this one time when someone I know had so much to drink that we had to bring him to the hospital. Something about alcohol intoxication. So it can be pretty risky to binge drink.
  5. juno

juno Community Champion

It really depends on your body, but most alcoholics are probably beyond the point where they feel sick from being drunk. There body is use to the alcohol and that is why they can keep drinking. Thus, they continue to drink because there is no aversion at the moment that they are doing the drinking.
  6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

The more progressed you are as an alcoholic the less you get that feeling. The more it takes to feel like you're drinking poison in any way until you reach the point in your life where you feel sick or off without it. Only furthering the progression of the addiction. What do you do when you feel sick? Take your medicine.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Eventually anyone that drinks too much will get sick and or pass out. It's the next morning where they will feel the pain from drinking the night before. They might not remember the night before, but the pain is obvious the next morning.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yes, I'm a recovering alcoholic and even when I was getting wasted I was still feeling sick. The body does get used to the effects in time, but they are just as bad as the first time you got drunk.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For many, including myself, the hangover and that morning after feeling just turns into a normal way of life if you've been drinking heavily for a number of years .
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe those alcoholics have higher tolerance or can consume more alcohol before they can feel sick compared to others. But I am quite sure that they can also feel sick just like others cause the body had limitations.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

The more you consume it, the more you will need to drink in order to regain that initial experience, which some find it good. That's why you see so many alcoholics drinking 3-4 pints of beer and not getting any effect upon consuming it, as their body developed tolerance. Beside its buzzy effect, alcohol has many bad health side effects, which is why you can end up sick and sometimes even die if you exaggerate.
  12. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

For first timers who got really drunk yes. And may I also say that later on in life, it gets worse if you don't stop early.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think anyone who reaches that point doesn't feel the negative effects anymore to a certain extent. They have probably grown used to it that they don't feel the discomfort anymore. Some even don't feel the comfort anymore either which is why they often need to up the dosage.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The more you drink, the more you need to drink to get drunk aswell don't forget, so I guess there will come a time when a person will be sick just down to the sheer quantity they have drank, rather than the a thalidomide effect of the alcohol.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  15. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

At first yes, but as their body adjusts they don't feel much. I have a feeling though that things get worse over time and that is when some of them realise that they have to put an end to that bad habbit.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I remember when I first started drinking, that when I got to bed, it would usually feel as if it was spinning out of control, as well as feeling like I was sinking into the bed. Sometimes I would puke also. But, that doesn't happen to me anymore. No spinning bed, no puking, and no sinking into the bed. I kind of miss the spinning bed part. It was kind of fun.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that drinking over the limit, is not good as the body can start to take it's toll and reject anymore alcohol that is entered and could cause poisoning as well. I have drank more than enough when I was younger, and it is not a good feeling when you are waking up the next day and also the pain in the head can be affected as well. I reckon that people need to wake up and also see what the consequences are and also try and save the relationships they have as it can be hard to save it if they are ruined from this.
  18. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This here. We can develop a tolerance to the booze so you don't feel as sick or drunk. Then some people will drink through the sickness, once you have enough in your system you don't feel the negative effects until the next morning when it wears off.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was lucky enough to barely experience hangovers, even after binge drinking. I don't know why, a lot people were amazed to see me doing my normal every day stuff next day despite the fact I had been drinking like a viking the previous night. I never experienced hangover as such, ever until one day... the last time I drank I experienced what must surely be known as the famous hangover...

Yes, I experienced it a few hours after drinking... I had never felt so sick in my entire life. I wanted to throw up, my head was hurting, I was so drunk... I had been crying. I was a mess... I took that as a sign it was time to stop, plus why keep on drinking if instead of feeling good you are feeling so terrible?
  20. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

Alcoholics can certainly feel sick after drinking too much! Additionally, the feeling of physical sickness is often accompanied by a feeling of shame. Unfortunately, since they don't know how to respond to these feelings properly, they tend to turn to alcohol to get rid of them, creating a vicious circle.

I have know couple family friends who have succumbed to alcoholism, and I can confirm that they do have a certain resistance to alcohol... curiously enough, only its positive effects though. They don't feel happy anymore, even when drunk.