An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do alcoholics effect feel sick?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by DK01, Feb 13, 2015.

1. I don't think that it's that alcoholics don't get sick, it's just that they get used to those feelings so they can cope better. People are capable of adapting to a lot. I've heard it creates this cycle where you wake up feeling hungover and start drinking because you both want to distract yourself from feeling terrible and because "hair of the dog" is a concept people believe in. I've definitely seen alcoholic friends drink enough to puke. It just doesn't seem to hit them as hard as it would me. A lot of them start reporting black out periods more than just throwing up and passing out, which is really scary to me. I've never blacked out but I don't want to.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

With the drinkers in my midst, I am an expert on that. It is called hangover when a drinker drinks too much and slept on it. Expect a nasty headache upon waking up. What my mother used to do whenever my father would have a hangover is to give him a cold bath and an aspirin to be taken with ice cold water. A hot compress on the head would do the trick.
  3. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

They do get that sick feeling but most of the time there is no feeling as they have had so much that in many cases wet themselves, get sick and never know about it until they wake up the following day.