An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do any of you do exercise to stay sober?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by vespid49, Apr 12, 2015.

1. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

I find that it's a good distraction while also bettering my mental and physical abilities. Anybody else have similar experiences?
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I used to, now I'm kind of busy with some stuff and I gave up on it. I'll get back to it though!
    Working out while trying to stay sober is the best thing someone can do. It helps you stay in shape, keeps you healthy, trains your mental discipline and it also keeps your mind off of things.
    It's very beneficial!
  3. I think that working out can be a very great step towards getting and staying sober. Exercise helps your body in so many ways, and I think that having a positive outlet for your mental and physical energy can go a long way towards sobriety.
  4. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I do! It's a great positive outlet for your energy, like other have said. I also exercise to vent when I'm angry.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I did notice in the past that whenever I'm on the verge of getting drunk after my attempts to socialize went wrong, it's better to keep on moving than sitting still because the more you sweat, the easier you can overcome your drunken state. Sweating removes the addictive substance running through your blood, thus snapping you back to reality faster than when you're just idle and doing nothing.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think exercising is a good activity that would take your mind off using substances, not to mention, it would help you to become more fit and healthy. As for me, I'm not really a fitness enthusiast. I do exercise everyday but it's mostly for the reason that I want to keep myself fit. But yeah, exercising can help you a lot to recover.
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I do exercise but I don't just do it to stay sober. There's plenty of reasons why you should exercise. I do it to be healthy and stay in good shape. It's overall a great pastime to help you cope with a multitude of aspects in our every day lives. I just wish more people were into it.
  8. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

It burns of calories and gets your mind off of using. I do it all the time. I take the dog walking and I focus on the walk and my dogs safety. Using substances seems to go away when I think of each step each glance at my neighborhood.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Physical exercise is by far the best way to sobriety. It keeps you busy, it keeps you healthy, and you burn off any excess energy.
  10. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I think it can be a good mental deterrence and distraction but only if you take the exercise seriously. What I meant is not just committing do it everyday or regularly but also sets up good measurable goals. That way, your mind keeps occupied with your workout progress and sometimes your mind will try to avoid doing things that can be detrimental to your progress. If you are weight training, keeping track of weights that you can lift can be a good way of doing this. If you are running, then you can keep track of the speed, etc.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Ok that is funny. Exercising to stay sober. I'm pretty sure exercising is to keep you in shape and healthy, but that works too. Changing the focus from harming yourself to improving yourself. Something to do. Whatever works, I've just never put the two together. Any hobbies or activities are good to keep someone out of drinking or doing drugs.
  12. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I think what is meant is to keep your mind moving and off of the addiction. Or the substance that one is addicted to. I think that using a hobby of some sort to help someone get over an addiction is important. So maybe exercise could help you do both...get healthy...and addiction free. I know that going through rehab is most of the time a must, but this could also help.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's not the only thing keeping me sober, but absolutely I think it helps me. It clears my mind when I've had a stressful day or when I have things weighing on me. And that's been an important outlet for me. Learning how to manage life stressors was a big part in me not feeling the need to go and drink my problems away - and so exercise has been critical there! :)
  14. kaiiren

kaiiren Member

I sometimes exercise when I feel the rare craving - I'll run for 30 mins. By the time I'm done with the run, the craving has always gone away. I suggest anyone who tries this exercise method to do cardiovascular exercises, since it's my opinion that they help fight cravings better.
  15. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

One of my friends used to have a huge addiction problem and he is in incredible shape now. I think the gym and the discipline it required gave grounded him, and allowed him to see the value he was placing on himself by taking care of himself.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I found that exercise helped me stay sober. When you stop drinking you realise that you've got a massive void in your life to fill, and anything you can do to fill your time and take your mind off things will always help.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm not an addict, but I do agree that exercise is a good way to get healthy and distracted from your vices. Whether they only just go jogging or they are working out in the gym, it is very beneficial.