An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do any of you drink alcohol but aren't addicted at all?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by thedeatheater1410, Feb 21, 2016.

1. I am fairly regular drinker of alcohol, but I don't think I will get addicted to it. Yes I do enjoy the moments and the "effect" and sometimes the taste too, but I never feel while sitting around like going out and drinking just for the heck of it. I only drink if I am going out friends on some special occasion.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have tasted alcoholic drinks before and never liked it. So I am not a drinker. :)
    I do know friends who can just drink like you. They drink a glass or two or a small bottle when there is an occasion and that's it.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I know a number of people who say they drink occasionally but aren't alcoholics. Fact though is if you drink for certain reasons odds are should the need to drink more often arise then you'd "go with the flow" and might end up being an addict.

I'm not one of those people who believe that it's possible to drink "in moderation." Many who try that often find themselves slipping ever closer to the edge of the abyss . . .
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I can have a beer every once in a while and I am good with that. I don't crave it. I don't need it and I have no desire to over indulge. After dealing with my husband's addiction I have no desire to even have a drink. Just the sound of the tab of a beer can opening causes me the cringe. It immediately puts a pit in my stomach. I can't even drive by a liquor store without feeling ill. Before my husband I never really understand alcoholism. I could have a drink and enjoy it but now I couldn't care if I seen another alcohol beverage ever.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

There are no doubt people that can simply drink on the odd occasion and not get addicted - but there are others that are literally addicted from their first drink. It all depends on how our brains are wired.
  6. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I think that drinking is one of those things you can do in moderation and not have an addiction. If you find yourself needing it, whether as a craving or to get through certain situations, I see that as an addiction.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

I consider myself not to be addicted, but I do pick a day for drinking. And if I don't drink that day, it would not be a fun thing to be around me. I also have an hour to drink. I usually start at 5:00 in the afternoon. To be addicted to something, doing it every day is a must.
  8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Yes, I'm in the same boat as you. I can drink alcohol without getting drunk. I don't crave it. I just drink it in social settings, and when I'm just unwinding at home. I don't have an addictive personality for the most part. I know I'm pretty fortunate, because I definitely have alcoholism in my family. Apparently it wasn't passed down to me. I've very thankful for that, considering how much trouble it gives a lot of people.
  9. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I used to drink a little. By a little I mean, I might have a bottle of wine and a few hard lemonade drinks each month, but that was all. I didn't drink to get drunk, I just drank b/c I loved the flavor of certain drinks. I kept it at a minimum and then gave it up completely about 5 years ago. I enjoyed it then, but I do not miss it now at all.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I guess. I can have a drink occasionally without going totally crazy or even feel tempted to binge drink. But then again my liver and my stomach are not the same since my gallbladder was removed! So maybe that is why, I feel specially disgusted when I think about tequila with grapefruit soda. I still enjoy a couple soft alcoholic drinks... from time to time.
  11. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I've tried many alcoholic drinks and I've never enjoyed any. I hate the taste and that's good enough reason for me not to have any more. It's difficult to turn down drinks at parties but I try my best, not only because I'm not interested in getting drunk, but because I really don't like the taste and it's an immediate turn off for me. I know you don't drink it for the taste, but I'm not interested in the effects and I can have a good time and enjoy my life without them. I haven't drank alcohol deliberately at home or in public for a long time and I feel lucky to have that sort of mindset. Coffee and chocolate milk shakes are my alcohol. :D
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I drink, and enjoy it but I would not consider myself to be an addict at all. It might be a bit of a habit, but I am not going to go crazy without it. I care more about food than I do alcohol. Alcohol is just a fun thing for me, and a way sometimes to relax or feel good.
  13. remnant

remnant Community Champion

You see, there are social drinkers and problem drinkers. Most addicts started off as social drinkers. You only realize the power of addiction when you start to resist it. I also used to be a social drinker but realized the rollercoaster ride to addiction is an easy one before hitting rock bottom. Alcohol has a treacherous way of divorcing a person from other forms of recreation.
  14. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

There are many people who are able to consume a more than ordinary amount of alcohol and don't seem to show any negative effects, on the other hand, just the mere smell of the liquid will get them going off their rocker. I believe that the addiction rate relating to alcohol is not very high, the majority of users do it for fun and are able to drink when they feel like, opposed to been forced to because of addiction.
  15. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

While I don't drink all the time I do drink. I don't know if I myself would consider myself addicted but I to like too. If it's a really nice warm day out, it feels like the perfect day to let them play outside and drink. Either playing with them or working. Does this consider me an alcoholic I have no clue. I know it is possible to drink occasionally and not be an alcoholic.
  16. lost247

lost247 Active Contributor

Alcohol, just like any drug, is an opportunity for abuse. Like a car can be dangerous with someone under the influence behind the wheel, but can be perfectly safe with a responsible driver, drinking for an addict can be dangerous while others can partake without issue.

Addicts are suffering, and will medicate that pain with anything available if their preferred drug is not available. When we face what makes us use, it is possible to drink recreational, in my personal experience.
  17. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

Hello everybody, how does one go about figuring out what the underlying cause is; or if the cause is already know, knowing how to deal with it in a positive way. Sometimes there is just not a way of going to counseling or if so it is too expensive. How do we teach ourselves to deal with our issues in a positive manner instead of turning to the negative?
  18. rush

rush Member

I drink occasionally nowadays without getting proper drunk. That's ok for me now, when out in social environment's with my friends. I usually have 1 or 2 drinks.
  19. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Well, I used to drink a lot when I was younger but I never thought of myself as an alcoholic. Although, most of my friends have accused me of following in my dad's footsteps (who was an alcoholic). I still drink, but ONLY on special occasions. I can even go without drinking alcohol. It's really seldom that you'd see me drinking nowadays.
  20. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I drink alcohol to socialize in the parties. During celebration I also enjoy one or two drinks.Usually, it is twice in a month. I am not addicted to alcohol.
    BoostedGear likes this.