An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do drugs and stealing go hand in hand?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Winterybella, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I need to ask this question. Some days ago my phone was stolen and with it a chunk of my life. The phone itself was quite dated but there is no price you can put on the history I stored on it.

Fortunately, the crime was caught on camera. Some who saw the footage identified the culprit as a "dope head" to use their words. These days when there are crimes often including stealing, the perpetrators are almost always involved in drugs. Do the two go hand in hand? Surely there must be some honest drug users. I am happy to meet a few.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am sure there are ones out there who don't steal. A lot of times drug users steal to get enough money to feed their habit because they just don't have the amount of money needed. There are lot of break ins around here and most of them get traced back to drug users.

Sorry that you had your phone stolen. A phone is a very personal thing. I know my daughter had hers stolen a few times.
  3. Winterybella

Thank you L_B. Sometimes people only think mostly about the value of the product. When I reported it to the police, he joked about whether the type phone was still in use. I had to let him know it wasn't the about the phone. It was about me feeling violated and being robbed of what was stored on the device.

Once a young lady accused someone close to me who uses marijuana of stealing from her. I have to confess it was a hard pill to swallow as I couldn't imagine him stealing. Sometimes I still wonder if she was telling the truth, because drugs do seem to change people.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Addicted person will do anything to get drugs and that can include stealing. Those who have a lot of money to spend on drugs and can get money on various ways like illegal activities, begging or just inborn crazy rich, they will not need to steal.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Sometimes if a person is under the influence of drugs their state of mind is already different and their behavior is out of control. If the drug dependent has the money they will not think of stealing just to satisfy their needs for drugs. But in some cases those that lack the financial capacity in order to continue their use of drugs sometimes steal. But I think not all drug addicts are stealing and it depends upon their situation.
  6. AngryItalian

AngryItalian Member

The reason drugs and stealing go hand in hand is that there are not very many employers out there anymore that do not drug test, so the only options are panhandling, stealing, dealing drugs, or getting a really horrid job that doesn't test. They want to keep people who use drugs out of businesses, because lets face it, do you really want your burger served by someone whom has sores on their arms and face from drug abuse? Their only options are limited, not only to acquire drugs themselves but to get enough provisions or a roof over their head to survive even proves difficult. There is already desperation to survive, with the added desperation to get their next fix.

As for marijuana, if they would just legalize marijuana and consider it no different than alcohol than nobody would steal because of it. When I use marijuana I don't have the GOTTA GET MORE attitude like I did with narcotics. Marijuana is to alcohol what nicotine is to caffeine. A safer substitution. I've seen more relationships broken apart and crimes caused by alcohol than I have ever seen by marijuana. She probably just blamed him because of the stereotype set on all drug users as people desperate for their next fix. Marijuana does not change a person into a maniac. I can't even lift my damn hand when I am high, so to say he stole a phone due to intoxication of THC is absolute nonsense. I haven't smoked in a week, and I am going to smoke again, but I will do so when I legally obtain the money to do so. I do not desire the fix from it like I would from cigarettes or meth/heroin.

As for other drugs, they really mess up your ability to make good judgement even when your sober, the withdrawals starting to set in from the harder drugs may make a person desperate to the point where if they have the opportunity to steal, they will most certainly do it to get what they need.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Not all drug users steal, but a large number of them do. When you are addicted to a substance and your body is telling you to get more of it, you will do whatever's necessary to satisfy the craving. My son used to steal from us. It broke my heart. There's an old joke that says a drug addict will steal your wallet and help you look for it. That's not far from the truth. Just know that the stealing is more related to the habit than it is to the person. Hate the disease, not the addict.
  8. Winterybella

Great point Deanokat "Hate the disease, not the addict" is something that I am guessing some still have to work on. To the point about the wallet. Once my son met a youngster who was known to dabble in drugs. He was quite young so my son felt he could help him find his way off the block. One day some money went missing when they were playing some video games. He swore he had not taken the money. We later found out that the stole the money and used some to buy some pizza for them all. We still joke about it but he later ended up in jail.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I can vouch for that. Yes it is closely connected because addicts, and when i say this i mean heroine addicts, live a life that is far from standards. They look terrible and they are very slow in response to everything. Hence, they want hold on any job if they could get one in first place. However, the hunger for heroine is not going to dissappear and they will need resources to buy it. So, they do what they have to do. Of course, it depends on the purity of heroine. One may have money and buy quality stuff so the side effects will not be visible and they will be able , maybe, to keep their jobs. But, if that is not the situation they will first sell everything from their homes and they will steal or do what ever it takes to get a hit and eventually if they do not start treating them selves they will die. This is actually a story i have witnessed several years ago.
  10. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that's relative, drugs can obviously make serious impacts in someone's life and sometimes can be hard for them to keep or get a job, and drugs are not a cheap habit, so I think that they're related. But as you have said not everyone who uses drugs are robbers, it depends on the person.
  11. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Without a doubt, drugs and stealing go hand and hand. It doesn't matter if you're financially able to handle the habit or that you are. From my perspective it's not just the material or monetary aspect of substance abuse but your family, friends, not to mention your own life are being stolen from.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If they can't lie to or manipulate their friends or family to get the money they'll use to buy drugs then addicts have no option but to steal. And not just steal, depending on how badly they need a "fix" they'll do anything to get it. However not all addicts are thieves. I've known numerous addicts who have never stolen anything to fund their addictions.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I must say that not all addicts steal, but many of them does. I don't know the exact reason, if it's because they need funding for their addiction or because they just cannot think clearly and so they do things that are not within reason. Whatever their reason, it's mostly because of their altered state of mind and we must remember to understand their state or condition. We need to help them, not chastise them more. Although, it might be hard to do so, it is really crucial that we help them and not punish them more.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It definitely increases the probability of stealing happening. People that use drugs have a lower empathy. They drown out their feelings and conscience with drugs, so they're not as likely to use their morals. They will steal from people they love to get resources for more drugs, etc. It's a sad reality that a lot of people have to deal with. It's devastating to all the people that surround an addict.
    deanokat likes this.