An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do flash cards work?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by d4rk3n, Dec 31, 2014.

1. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Do you think writing up stuff that matters to you might help you in staying sober?
    For example, writing something like "My parents did a lot for me. I should not drink and make them suffer.", might influence your decisions. The next time you feel like drinking, just pull up those flash cards.
    Train of thoughts (as a result of these cards) might actually be a great way of distraction.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

That can be helpful.

I read it somewhere that if you really wanted to do something then the best way to get it done is write down and pin it in as many places in your house as you can. Everywhere you turn, there's this reminder — you made a commitment to do something. Excuses won't do. You have it right there. And you know the reason why you wrote it down, to kick excuses [ + procrastination] in the gut.

So yeah, I believe that flash cards can help you try hard to stay sober.
  3. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Yes, I think that writing down why you want to stay sober can help a person, as long as it is something that motivates them, and not something that demotivates them or puts them on a guilt trip or makes them feel like a failure.
    Some people beat themselves up when trying to get sober/clean so they might write something on flash cards that is less than positive.
    In my opinion, reading negativity over and over isn't such a great idea, but writing down good, positive, encouraging things on flash cards can be a great motivator.
    FilmFan, d4rk3n and Rainman like this.
  4. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Thanks for pointing that out stariie. I never thought about it that way.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I use to write my short term goals and daily reminders on regular folder paper and have them hanging in my closet, bathroom, bedroom door, and all sort of places. That way I can never escape from the reminders of what I should be thinking about and building myself up for. It works.
  6. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

I never really gave this a thought but now that you have said it i think you have a valid point there.
  7. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Journaling your thoughts, feelings, goals and mantras and reading through them is a great way to track your progress while you are on the journey to sobriety. It allows you to remember every day what you are fighting for - and what you are fighting against. Best of luck to you.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Your idea is a novelty for me. Most centers have a standard way of conducting rehab programs. Although it's great that they've standardized everything, they sometimes fail to actually get to the heart of the matter. It's not like all patients have the same way of coping. This suggestion, I think, will really work on introverts who tend to keep to themselves with no outlet whatsoever. The flashcards will at least help them think twice whenever they're on the verge of returning to old habits.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think almost any method would work for someone but I've seen some people try and write down positive things and put them in jars but eventually they just lose interest and forget about it completely. I'm not saying it's proof that it's ineffective, but just that people aren't usually that disciplined.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Flash cards that gives you reasons not to drink? Maybe. You would have to try it to see.
    The goal setting thing that josh talks about that does work. Write it down put it in front of you. Look at it as much as possible. I would say flash cards that have what you want in your life will work.
    Its like you want to focus on what you want. Not what you don't want. You could put something like;
    Healthy and in the present moment. Clear headed and focused. Feeling alive and vibrant.
    Good relationship with my friends. My parents, etc.
  11. FilmFan

FilmFan Member

Hello there.

I think that since you've had the idea/inspiration to use such a strategy in your progress you should certainly try it out! Often these little strokes of insight should be followed. But, as stariie mentioned, don't use reminders as a means to beat yourself up. JoshPosh has the right idea!

I definitely think using a visual/physical element in your journey helps. Flash cards are something you can keep on you, but if they are too bulky, you can cut them out credit-card sized to always have in your wallet by your credit card/cash. This way, when you reach for money to purchase alcohol, you'd have them right there.

xTinx, I agree that often a "standardized approach" can get in the way of finding a personalized system. The framework for rehabilitation can remain the same, but everyone is different, and how they reach the end goal should be tailored and individual.
  12. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

I think placing them at trigger points could help also. Like people who are trying to lose weight putting one next to the fridge handle. I think a little note or symbol in your car is a good idea, because for most of us the purchase is where the decision is made. Once you buy, you are going to use... so stop yourself from buying.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think they could certainly work as a method of positive reinforcement. The danger is, of course, that they could also act as a reminder of your failures should you fall off the wagon. Probably beset for people who have managed to stay sober for a certain length of time but still occasionally struggle with negative thoughts.
  14. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Affirmation cards or notes work very well. If I need to solve a problem or overcome some emotional difficulties, I analyse my situation carefully and then write on some small cards what I want to achieve. One simple sentence is usually enough for me. I hang this sentence all around my house. Near my bed, above my stove, next to the mirror in my bathroom. I want to be reminded of it all day long until it sinks into me and becomes a reality.
  15. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Flash cards do help with daily reminders. I think it is an excellent idea to remind you of why you are chosing to be clean and sober.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Why not use flash cards as some sort of reminder for you that you should not take drugs/alcohol/substances? It is actually a good idea.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I didn't have flash cards specifically, but I did write down goals and things I wanted to work towards in a journal. For me, writing stuff down helps me be accountable - something about it all being written there in black and white works for me.

Also it allows me to look back and reflect on how far I've come, which is a huge motivational thing.
  18. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I think putting up reminders could help aid in recovery. I had taped up a few reminders on my wall in the beginning of my journey to a sober life. They still are there almost five years later. I don't read them anymore I do gaze at them from time to time. I can't bare to take them down its a part of where I was, and how far I've come.