An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

do i have a problem?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by anonia130, Feb 4, 2019.

1. anonia130

anonia130 Member

Im new on here but im not sure if i have a problem.
    Basically i Started drinking after i was raped and had some other issues in my life which were even worst. I used alcohol, weed, and some other prescription drugs like clonazopam.
    Now im not over these issues but they are better handled. I used to drink every wednesday and on the weekends bc i needed to study and was a straight A student despite going to school under the influence of drugs and having several near death experiencess especially since i have other health issues. Now im on vacation and havnt gone a day without drinking. I feel bad when i dont drink, my parents have shown concern and some friends too. Usually i mix other drugs when i drink and i dont eat, like at all literally for several days in a row.

Do i have a problem? what should i do?
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@anonia130 hey there. welcome.

i'd say you do have a problem. you're on a path of self-destruction, it seems. i understand drinking helps one to not feel pain... feeling pain sucks. i get it.... but mixing drugs and drinking/not eating... it'll catch up to you, as i'm sure you know.

start with really getting honest with yourself... sounds like you're willing to do this... you're wanting to stop? are you going through withdrawal when you do try to stop? if so, then you may need some professional help in detoxing...

for now, choose to cut back..don't drink on your vacay... or try not to.

are you able to see a therapist? you mentioned rape. i'm sorry you had to experience that.... did you ever receive therapy to process that? i am a firm believer that we all could use a good therapist at different times in life.

if your parents are concerned, have an honest conversation with them. i know it's challenging to talk about these things... but it can be helpful. it'll feel good to be raw and real... and this is a good way to start your healing process...

does this help?
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Welcome to the forum, @anonia130. And thanks for sharing.

It may sound cliche, but if you think you have a problem with alcohol or drugs, you probably do. Ditto for if your family and friends think you have a problem, too.

You obviously suffered some horrible trauma as a result of being raped. But numbing yourself with alcohol and drugs is not the way to "fix" that. It may provide some temporary relief, but it's just that--temporary. The best way to deal with the feelings you're trying to mask is therapy. Do you have a therapist? If so, have you been totally honest with them about your alcohol and drug use? Maybe seeing a therapist who specializes in treating people with addiction issues would be a good thing for you.

You didn't tell us how old you are, but as the parent of an adult son whose addiction issues started when he was a teenager, I will tell you this: I'm willing to bet that if you are totally straight with your parents, they will be supportive and want to help. Just tell them everything you've told us. And ask them for help and support. That's what parents are for.

Even though I don't know your exact age, I know that you have a whole lot of life ahead of you. So my advice to you is to take care of your drug and alcohol issues now, before they get even worse. And trust me, they will get worse. But you have the power to help rein the problem in now. And we will help you however we can.

I'm sending you lots of love, light, hope, and encouragement. Know that we're here for you anytime you need someone to lean on, for help, support, or just a listening ear.
  4. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Hi there! I’ve heard recovery from drug/alcohol addiction is the only disease that’s “cure” is entirely based on self diagnosis. 100 doctors/counselors/therapists could have told me I was an alcoholic but that wouldn’t have mattered until I truly believed it and was ready to change. I’m around a ton of normies in my daily life and I am very open about my recovery. This has ultimately led to lots of people asking me if they have a problem with alcohol. My answer is always the same. If your use is causing you to have negative repercussions perhaps it’s something you should take a deeper look at. Addiction is such a spectrum. Idk if you have a problem I sure did. My life was utterly unmanageable due to my using. If you’re worried you might have a problem try quitting. If you aren’t addicted it should be easy right? Best of luck my friend
    deanokat likes this.
  5. deanokat

Terrific insight, @Cametobelieve0202. Thanks so much for sharing. What you say is so true: Change can't start to happen until the individual accepts that they need to change.
  6. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@anonia130 be careful if you do try to quit cold turkey and you are addicted. Alcohol withdrawal can kill you. If you stop an experience physical symptoms get yourself to the ER STAT!
    deanokat likes this.
  7. deanokat

Great reminder and advice, @DoxyMom.