An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do I Need Treatment?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by BreakingBad, Sep 12, 2014.

1. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Member

How do I know when treatment is right for me? I want to stop drinking and have no idea where to begin.
    mannyme likes this.
  2. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hi BreakingBad. Treatment is a big life step and everyone benefits differently and at different times in their life from it. I believe that self awareness, education and a willingness to ask for help are all critical factors in determining whether you need treatment or not. There are some great resources on our site that will help you better understand the ins and outs of treatment and whether it's right for you. It's great that you've recognized that you want to stop drinking and that decision is the foundation for everything else that you do from here on out. Good luck and know we're here to support you!
    mannyme likes this.
  3. mannyme

mannyme Member

We are in the same boat and it's worse when you don't have health insurance. I agree that being willing to admit you have a problem is so important. Things start to turn around even when you just start becoming more aware. At least it was that way for me.
  4. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Member

Luckily I do have health insurance. I'm still not really sure which kind of rehab I want to go to, though. There are so many different types of programs - inpatiet, outpatient, 10 days, 30 days, some of them are like 90 and more days! How long do most people need to stay? I do have a job and a life.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Many people stay for 30 days as they think that's enough for them to cure themselves.
    It really depends on your addiction though, I can't really tell since you haven't given us a lot of information. I recommend 30 days for most cases. I think it's the best for you since you also have a job and a life.
  6. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I don't think there's ever a magic treatment method or number of days, BreakingBad.
    Simply put; rehab cannot cure us. It's a progressive disease - to the point of literally continuing to progress underneath the surface - even while we're clean and sober (yes, seriously - this disease does not take breaks or play around). Drug/alcohol recovery is a lifelong process.

Here's what rehab provided me:

- A safe, stable environment free of drugs and alcohol
    - Medical assistance --a detox that was as comfortable as it possibly could be considering my drug of choice
    - Education about my disease, why I'm not responsible for it and how to begin taking responsibility for my recovery
    - Counseling -- the first step of understanding why I abused substances to begin with <---this one is a big deal because physically removing the drugs and alcohol could never help me with my problem

If you are physically dependent on alcohol, I would recommend checking into an inpatient facility that can keep you safe with a medicated detox - monitored by health professionals around the clock. However long you stay is ultimately up to you, but it was important for me to understand a quick detox could only sober me up and I had a lot more work to do before I could go home and honestly believe things would be fine. With my job. With my life. With everything that mattered to me. I hope that helps! :)
    Joseph likes this.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

As soon as you realize you need to stop drinking then you should get help immediately. If you fear you can't do it by yourself then ask the people who matter to lend you their support. Treatment is not a one-man journey. If you go at it alone, there's a great likelihood you will go back to what you once were. So don't be afraid to share your problems with family and friends. Not everyone may look like it but your loved ones will definitely be happy that you decided to embark on the journey to recovery.
    Joseph likes this.
  8. Shannon Campo

Shannon Campo Member

BreakingBad, I know that no one wants to give up months of their lives to go to treatment, but the harsh reality is that without treatment, you may be giving your life up anyway. There are lots of options available for you, and whether you decide for a shorter or longer duration of treatment, I would recommend getting into a good AA group when you're done. Some folks don't agree with AA as a method to stay clean and sober, but I know people that it's work well for, and it's definitely worth a shot. At the very least, you'll find people in your area that are struggling with the same things that you are, and you'll get the support that you really need during this hard time. I wish you the best of luck, and know that if you want this bad enough, you can definitely make it happen!
  9. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

To quit drinking you need to quit the circle in which you drink, you need to quit with your old life and start a new one. I feel that starting to exercise, to cook or any other healthy activity can contribute to that. I definitively feel you should avoid the situations that made you drink/where you were drinking.
  10. abe101

abe101 Member

I would definitely say exercising helps. My bestfriend was a very bad alcoholic. I started dragging him to the gym making him lift weights. This changed his life and gave him something else to focus on. The weights are now his addiction.
  11. Muraki

Muraki Member

Have you gone to a doctor yet?

The best thing to do is to consult a professional, but if you still don't want to then at least determine if it's causing any problems to your health. That would be the latest sign for you to stop drinking. Also if you are struggling to let it go then try to find something to replace it, like some physical activity. Replace the addiction with another one which is even beneficial to your health.

Hope it helped.
  12. toppot44

toppot44 Member

If you’re ready to admit you have a drinking problem, you’ve already taken the first step. It takes tremendous strength and courage to face alcohol abuse and alcoholism head on. Reaching out for support is the second step.

Whether you choose to go to rehab, rely on self-help programs, get therapy, or take a self-directed treatment approach, support is essential. Recovering from alcohol addiction is much easier when you have people you can lean on for encouragement, comfort, and guidance. Without support, it’s easy to fall back into old patterns when things get tough.

Your continued recovery depends on continuing mental health treatment, learning healthier coping strategies, and making better decisions when dealing with life’s challenges. In order to stay alcohol-free for the long term, you’ll also have to face the underlying problems that led to your alcoholism or alcohol abuse in the first place.
    Jen S. likes this.
  13. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Member

I know I have a problem. Still haven't really done anything about it. drinking now
  14. shilpa123

shilpa123 Member

I think it is very important that you start taking the right step at the right time. I am very sure that you are in need of some kind of help from the people and that may include a lot of treatments too. It is very important that you start taking the right kind of treatment to help yourself out.
  15. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

The good news is that you have taken the first step and you would like to stop!! Congratualtions because you have to want to stop in order to be able to give it up. If you have been drinking 7 days a week and it is your breakfast, lunch and dinner than rehab is the best option for you.
    If you have been a social drinker and you have it in your mind to stop then you can do it at home. Avoid going to pubs, avoid social events and when yo feel like a drink go to bed. You will experience some aches in your back and this means that the kidneys and liver are reparing themselves as well as aching teeth and bad headaches. Mood swings are also something rather unpleasant for everyone around you and this will take one, two or three months to get over.
    The first step is to rid your home of any booze, let everyone know that you are going to stop and you want their support. Good luck and keep with it!!!
  16. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Good advice, tasha. I agree that you should consider how severe your drinking habit is and go from there. You may be able to stop drinking on your own. More likely you could go to support meetings or rehab if your abuse is serious enough. There are many paths to recovery.
  17. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

Honestly when you have to ask yourself this question then yes you really might need help. And I hope this isn't took as if I'm being smart,but it is hard to give what we like and enjoy the most even when we know its harming us , and I feel like your conscious is speaking out with this question. Good Luck!
  18. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That's right, if we are wondering if we need help or not most likely it's because we do need the help, so don't hesitate, seek for help and change your life.
  19. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to getting better, and I'm proud of you for that, congratulations. It depends on how strong your addiction is, I think that would be the first step, what you think is best for you, if you think a longer stay would be better then a shorter one. I mean, usually, the longer stay is always the best, just to help get you on your feet. I would call around to rehab centers and discuss it with them a bit, I'm sure they would be happy to give you some information.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

If you don't think you are in too deep yet and want to try dealing it with yourself and thus not having to sacrifice your routine for a few months, I'd recommend just trying to limit yourself and slowly lowering the amount bit by bit. It's worked for me for several of my addictions. I also agree with abe101 that exercising helps a lot. Not only will it keep you busy but as you get more and more used to it, your brain chemistry will change and you may just find yourself not craving alcohol as much anymore after a while.