An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do I Need Treatment?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by BreakingBad, Sep 12, 2014.

1. prey

prey Member

Whenever it's necessary and feel like alcohol generally interferes too much in your daily life. Don't delay the situation, it will only worsen itself.
  2. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

I think you know you have a problem when your friends start telling you. If it is that plan to see to everyone and you think so yourself, then its time to do something. One day at a time I always say, don't try to do too much at ones, you will need to take everyday as a new start.
  3. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

Well, you've made the first step already by being aware, so at the very least congratulate yourself for that. So many people out there are in denial. And the fact that you've come to this forum is another massive step - i.e. you've realized you have a problem, you've reached out for help and you're now willing to get help.

I would definitely say seek professional support rather than doing it all yourself. But definitely stay engaged with support groups, where there are people in exactly the same position as you. Surrounding yourself with the right conversations and narrative is an important part of the process. Good luck with your efforts.
  4. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

If you do not feel ready to go to a treatment center, consider starting with a support group. You can get information and support there and start your journey to getting clean. If you need more help than that, they will be able to give you more information about treatment options and you may be able to get first hand accounts from others in the group that can help you make the best decision for you.
  5. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Really wanting to stop drinking is key. Some people say they want to stop, but are not really ready yet. If you know you are ready then that's a good thing.
    I see that people on this thread have given you different resources to check out, hopefully one of the resources will resonate with you and you will start to get the help you need. It may not be easy, but you can do it.
  6. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

I think if you want help then you should for sure try treatment. Have you joined any programs like AA? Those will always help get your foot in the door with extra support. Of course I am sure that coordinators know more than I do. I do know that you will need an awesome support team which is why I am glad you came here for help. AA will also give you a lot of people with the same questions you have.
  7. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

If you feel you cannot make it a day without drinking, then you need treatment. If you are wasted every single day because if you don't the withdrawal is unbearable; you need treatment. If alcohol has caused a major change in your attitude, you may need help. If you feel you had to ask then its time to change your life for the better.
  8. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

The fact that you know it is a problem and that you want help -- tells you that you need it -- and also that you are much further towards the path of recovery than someone who can not admit to themselves that they need the help.
  9. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

You will know if the treatment is right for you if your reasons for wanting to stop drinking are all addressed or are being eliminated one at a time. For instance, if one reason for wanting to stop is because it's affected your relationship with family and during treatment, you can already talk to them with less strain, then the treatment must be right for you.

Beginning to stop starts from knowing you want to. Then you can look at the circumstances that start your drinking spree. What makes you drink? Say, if you drink because of friends that drink with you, try to avoid hanging out with them. So here you are looking at the possibilities by which you can stop your habit. If your willpower is waning; if you cannot trust yourself from putting a halt to your drinking problem, ask for support from family and centers catering to alcoholics.

I'm sure a lot of people in this community are willing to help you out. So feel free to communicate your concerns if you have to. You're not alone in your quest.
  10. rkuehne43222

rkuehne43222 Member

BreakingBad, I have found when helping other individuals with their personal care plan, when someone asks me, "How do I know if I need treatment", I generally tell them, if you have to ask if you need treatment, you probably do. You need to always do what you think is going to be best for you and for your care plan and health. If there is ever a doubt in your mind that you need treatment, Get It! I hope that helps a little bit. Keep your head up and high, you will and can get thru it.
  11. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Once you realize you have an addiction, you should start looking on the ways that your habit negatively affects your life. From there you will know how drastic of a measure should take, research several treatment methods and then shortlist a few programs that you think will be more helpful for you. You can always try more than one treatment method as if one does not work for you, simply move on to another. Different things work for different people. Wish you all the best though my dearest.