An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do i tell my friends and family i relapsed? Im afraid to lose the people who care about me.

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Nathanial1994, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Nathanial1994

Nathanial1994 Member

I just got out of prison. Did 3 yrs. Have been having a hard time with life lately, and though that isnt an excuse for anything, it was however a trigger for me. So, last night i relapsed. I took 2 hits, then i stood up and left. It didnt feel right and i didnt want to be there so i left. It was to much for me. I feel like in a way, i needed that relapse, to find out where i was at in my life. Now i know. I feel like i should tell my roommates, but at the same point, im afraid. I dont want to lose the few people i jave left
  2. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Were only as sick as our secrets right?
    Neveragain29 likes this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Nathanial1994 It's up to you whether you want to tell them or not.... Secrets can eat away at one though... Maybe it can help the way you approach them... why do you think they need to know? Would you feel better? Can you handle it if they get mad at you? Do you really think they'd abandon you?

Relapse is common in recovery... that's not to give anyone permission to relapse... it's just statistically accurate. And relapse can be a great learning tool. Use this as a lesson... you don't want to relapse. you don't want to be crazy addicted again. you don't want to go through life using to cope with life when life shows up crappy or challenging.

life's going to show up that way at times. pain is part of life. loss is part of life. things not going as we want is part of life. maybe learning how to deal with those things sober...clean... can help. kick, scream, cry, climb a mountain and scream "this freakin' sucks!"... but decide to never pick up again to cope. :)

hope this helps.
  4. Neveragain29

Neveragain29 Member

Are you asking help? I think without help you can't do it alone. Everyone needs help with something in life and when is something that can get this out of control, you need it. First of all, stop hanging around people who are doing that stuff. Surround yourself with people who have healthy mentalities. Meditate and feel your inner soul.
    Dominica likes this.