An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do "interventions" work?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 16, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Have you tried doing an intervention for a friend or family member? Did making them face their entire family or group of friends convince them to take the right path and try to ditch their addiction or did it just make them more stubborn?
  2. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I and my friends have tried it to a friend and so far it went well. But our friend still ended up in a rehab. He is sober now though.
  3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I think everyone's different. What works for one person might not work for others, but I think that it's definitely possible for an intervention to really hit home with a person and actually get them to change their behaviors and actions because of it. They can definitely be effective.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it would work for some but not for others, just like any other method, but probably this is the last ditch effort for any family that is feeling hopeless to solve a problem that was allowed to go on for longer than necessary. I personally believe that any family that would resort to it already has issues to begin with and it's probably much better to work through those first to get to the root of the problem but sometimes this is a much more practical and immediate solution.
  5. Jumcakes

Jumcakes Member

The thing that is important to remember is that when interacting with family/friends it is not just the individual who is to worry about. Family/friends might be taken aback/have their own issues as a result of an unsuccessful intervention and this would cause issues not just for the individual but for everyone. As people have stated above, this is a last resort so other means are likely to be more practical and less direct.
  6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Never tried an invention. I've heard stories of them working as well as stories of them being an abject failure. I don't think it hurts to bring a family together to try and stop an addicts spiral. But it can also pretty demoralizing if it doesnt work.
  7. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I guess some people would respond well to an intervention. I, however, am honestly kind of scared to set up an intervention with my addict friends because I'm afraid they wouldn't go well and the addicts would only be more enraged. Plus, if it doesn't work, I'd be very discouraged even though I would know it isn't my fault. That's a really tricky question, but I guess it needs to be done if it's a last resort.