An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do Not Be Afraid of Your Feelings

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Dec 13, 2015.

1. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

True that some resort to drinking alcohol or using drugs to get rid of what they are feeling. But the numbness is just temporary so "escaping" is just when you are on the influence of drugs. It is really better to deal with the feelings and have good alternatives. Like discussing or sharing it with people you trusted, singing or listening to a song, or going out in the nature.
  2. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

Exactly! Don't be afraid of your feelings. Finding a way to channel your feelings such as art, hobbies, work or whatever is extremely important, especially for those in recovery. But finding someone to share your feelings with is extremely important as well. Whether it is a friend, a family member, a therapist, a therapy group, or an online community, it is dangerous to keep your feelings bottled up inside.
  3. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

When we hide our feelings we are repressing ourselves and doing so is not something positive as we should let it all come out, that's a part of the healing process.
  4. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Ive been suffering from depression and anxiety really bad. I want to isolate and avoid these negative feelings. Also numbing out doesnt sound like a bad idea but i know its not right cause im a drug addict. Suffering is not easy. I go to see my Psychiatrist next week and i hope she puts me back on a medication that helps. I want to ask everyone for their prayers cause im really struggling here.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@pstrong1969... You are in my thoughts and prayers, buddy. As someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety, I know exactly what you're feeling. You're right, though: numbing out isn't the answer. Try some deep breathing or exercise when things get tough, at least until you get in to see your doctor. And I hope she can put you on something that will help you. When used properly, meds can really make a difference.

We're here for you, my friend.
  6. oportosanto

That's something always important to know, that someone cares and that there is something worth fighting for. Life is a blessing and we should not waste it without giving our best fight.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

In our life we should learn how to express our emotions and feelings because if we will always hide what we are feeling it will only lead us to depression and will greatly affect our physical, emotional and over all health. When I am having this kind of negative feelings I always surround myself with people who are motivating me in a positive way and whom I am entrusting my feelings.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think you've given us a lot of options for dealing with our emotions. For me, here are my outlets:

1. Singing. Anytime I feel down or happy, singing helps me relieve some stress. It's not just listening to songs but actually singing out loud.

2. Writing. Writing in my blog or journal helps me relieve some stress or problems I have. It keeps my mind busy and as well as my hands.

3. Exercising. There's no better way to release tension than by exercising. It helps you focus and release toxins out of your body.

4. Cooking. I find cooking therapeutic because it helps me forget about my problems for a while. When I think about my son and I'm cooking, I want to make the best meal I can for him.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, it can be difficult to deal with feelings, but as troubling they might be at times it is important to get in touch with them and acknowledge them. Maksing and buying them with substances is a bad trap to fall into. They are still going to be there when you stop using, and the sooner they are dealt with the better it will be.
  10. oportosanto

Ah... feelings and habits are the harder to deal with and they are super volatile and changing. So basically it requires constant adjustment from us and that is very hard.
  11. dalzieleone

dalzieleone Member

Practicing meditation techniques helps too. This helps you to work through your feelings as you notice them. Just a fifteen minutes of centering yourself does wonders especially when you are tempted to run away from your feelings. Also sharing what you feel, speaking to a loved one or someone close helps one know that they are not alone which ease up the situation.
  12. oportosanto

That is the big issue right there dalziele, we need to calm down our mind because when we do we can see things more clearly and we can make the decisions that improve our life.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

How are you doing Pstrong? Have you gotten the assistance you need? Life kinda sucks for me right now too...but I am doing my best to power through it. I know I have to take action to get my life to improve, no matter how uncomfortable or painful it might be. Change is difficult, but also really the only way we can move forward.