An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do people lie about doing cocaine or are they honest?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Adrianna, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I don't think there is a rule about it. I think that often you find it depends on the laws of the country, and whether cocaine is legal or not. I don't think it's something that many people will want to shout from the rooftops, however there is also a chance that if they struggle with addiction, they will be less likely to want to admit that they take it, as this means that they can prevent other people from learning about their difficulties. But usually there is no hard and fast rule, so there is little point in trying to make everybody seem equal in addiction terms, as the truth is that it just doesn't work like that at all.
  2. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Each addict is completely unique and they each would act in their own way, so yeah depending on the person they would or would not it all depends.
  3. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I have known people who have lied about using drugs and yes many people do lie about using cocaine. I think people lie for numerous reasons and think that people will believe what they say. When a person is close to someone who tries to hide their drug use I think that it will be noticeable even if you don't know exactly what drug it is but you will definitely notice changes in their personality and behavior.
  4. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

The social stigma that surrounds drug use is ridiculous. Many consider it to be awful, some consider it to be "cool". I'm sure that there are many people who lie about not using it, and I'm sure that there are many people who lie about using it.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In my experience people are more honest these days than ever before about using cocaine and a lot of people feel that they don't have to hide it as much as they used to.

In a way that's a good thing as people are being more honest, but in another way it shows that cocaine is becoming more a normal way of life.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

As for me, If I use cocaine, and if someone I barely know asks me if I take this substance, of course, I would definitely lie about it. I would pretend I don't have anything to do with cocaine as I don't personally know this person I am talking to, and he/she can jeopardize/sabotage my career in the future. But if it's someone I am really close to, then I don't see any reason to hide the truth.
  7. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I have always hidden it from my family, but my friends and the people I've dated I'm pretty open to about it. I really think it just depends on the person. I've never been around someone who did cocaine who felt the need to lie about it outside of their family, though. I feel like it's a fairly social addiction. If you do it, you want to be around other people who do it, too.
  8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Most cocaine users as well as those who have been around cocaine users, can spot one a mile away. You can see the mood swings when someone steps aside, goes to the bathroom, or whatever, and comes back all "refreshed". You can see them gradually descend back into craving for more, an hour or so later, and getting antsy and irate. Then they find another reason to leave for a moment. Lather, rinse, repeat.

You can tell from their eternal "allergies" and runny nose, and the inevitable "ring around the nostril". From them grinding their jaws, from them becoming overly emphatic, their short attention spans, etc... They'll change plans on you at the drop of the dime, or suddenly have some emergency they need to leave and take care of (in other words, they ran out of their stuff, and are going to get some more from their dealer).

There are definitely ex friends of mine who were also users when I was using, who would throw me and others under the bus as a diversion from their own cocaine use. That's the reason we're no longer friends today. We all worked together at the time, and all of us would be partying together one night, and the following day they would plant a bug in our managers ear that I and others looked strung out and obviously must have been on some drugs the night before. Of course they would conveniently fail to mention they were too. Their antics backfired when I and others quit, and the management caught on to their BS, and most of them ended up fired for stealing and/or coming into work high.
  9. knitmehere

@OhioTom76
    That's what I hated the most about it. Like any other drug, people who do it will do anything to make sure that certain people don't find out about their use. They stop caring about the other people around them, and as long as they personally don't get caught, it doesn't matter who else does.
  10. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think a lot of people you know are taking and you don't know. They may be taking it occasionally and they think of it as casual, even at work, a little at a time. Some people get a rush out of being able to do that and get away with it. I'm sure we all probably know someone who takes, but we don't know because they hide it so well.
  11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I'm taking this to mean that it all depends on the person. You can have a person hide it really well at first and lie about using. Then you have those more honest. What I would really watch out for are people claiming to do drugs when they know they don't just to seem cool or tough.
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

People lie about doing cocaine all of the time! I don't think that most people are very forthcoming with their addictions in general.
  13. knitmehere

@Jasmine2015 The way I look at it is that I'd rather them lie and say they are doing it instead of actually doing it. If they want to lie to "seem cool", that's on them. At least lying about it is better than actually starting it up.
  14. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well cocaine users are still people and whether they lie about their use of the drug is down to each individual's character. Some people are honest while others are not. Some may try to lie about it to maybe remove the shame that they feel for using it.
  15. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

It really depends on the person in question and the circumstances surrounding your suspicions. Theres no way to tell if someones doing drugs for sure if they are very careful about hiding it, and they have their use of drugs under enough control to not let it affect their professional performance adversely. I have noticed that when working with people who I know to be using cocaine regularly, that they can show a tendency to lose control/their temper suddenly. Its the only outward sign I know of that may be an indication of regular cocaine use.
  16. knitmehere

On top of losing my temper, I was overall a lot less talkative and a little closed off when I wasn't using. There was a night and day difference in my personality between when I was high and when I wasn't.

Other than that, you're right. It's a pretty easy thing to hide if you work hard enough at it.
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I know some cases in which people claim they would never do drugs, while they actually consume substances in the privacy of their home. And, let's be honest, who with a stable job would admit or even give a hint about being an addict? It would ruin their career completely! That's why I don't believe in the "fake it till you make it" saying. Those people are faking it, but they still won't magically get clean unless they put some effort in it.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Some people lie about taking cocaine while some are more honest about it than others. It really depends on the gravity of their situation. Others who initially lied about it ended up confessing their addiction because they've realized they can no longer live like that for the rest of their lives.
  19. Lola2485

Lola2485 Member

I have always been very honest with my usage.
    It isn't ever really seen as a problem unless you're really messing up in life.
    People get prescriptions for amphetamines because they can't get out of bed or be motivated to do any single mundane thing in life. I know all about it.
    I think the moment someone is dishonest about their use is the moment it's possible it's becoming a problem. That being said, I think the general public may be shocked at how many stars and normal people at least davel in the span of a week with said drug.
    I don't think it's any way to live, but I do know what it feels like to drag yourself through the day.
  20. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Some people will lie, some won't. Depends on the person, and what type of environment they are from or around.

The first time I ever saw someone do coke, it was in front of everyone, sitting in someone's living room. It was done with such nonchalance that I was really surprised, thinking to myself, "She just did that in front of everybody?? Did that just happen? Don't people usually hide that sort of thing?" I was naive.

On the flip side, some people will lie about it because they feel they have to keep up some type of facade for whatever reason.