An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do people lie about doing cocaine or are they honest?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Adrianna, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

It really depends to who he is speaking to. If he is speaking to other users it's more then obvious that he will be more open but in a job scenario I doubt he will be fully forthcoming. Just put yourself in his shoes, would you be completely open about the subject knowing full well that you if you are you will be severely criticized?
  2. zuulspaceman

zuulspaceman Member

I think people that do drugs are in denial when they figure out they're addicted. So, of course, they try to hide it all. I know a number of addicts that I see taking pills or snorting things and they don't think they're addicted though they do it all the time. It is up to the person to fess up to their addiction, not the people around them.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think it really depends on the person. But yeah, most addicts will not admit that they are using, even if it's obvious that they are addicted to a certain substance. They won't flaunt it as it is not something that one can be proud of.
  4. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Yes for the most part, the majority of drug users lie. They don't want to face judgment and shame. If someone comes out with their drug use honestly, that's a rare surprise. But this is something I was thinking about the other day. I suspected one of my family members of doing drugs. Everyone told me to just ask them. There's no point, it's not like they would tell me the truth! Even if I was very close with them.
  5. I would say each person is unique. I can see why someone would do it but would guess it could have the opposite effect if overdone.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The judgmentals I call them. People who criticize everything no matter what. Nothing makes them happy and nothing pleases them. Yes so a looked down upon thing like drug use would not be easy to over look. Of course you are right this is the way it is.
    What is funny about that is the judgmentals. People who situationally judge according to category or prejudice. These are people who will look down on things like this but only with certain people. Other people it will be ok. I am seeing this now. Its like this guy who was drinking and driving. Smoking pot, he hit and killed a cyclist. Got in house arrest and so forth. Well, this judgmental type still loved this person, still idolized this person because it is a guy. They have an affection for men and boys. Another stole something worth more than $4,000 and that was ok too because it was a guy. Actually clean cut individuals that are generally pretty good. Not delinquents at all, accept for these slips. Lol. But that same judgmental will crucify a female like her sister, daughter, or 100 % honest, good, and sweet male, but not the other. Its just stupid. How ridiculous right? The judgmentals that have no rhyme or reason. Criticism, I'm not sure that is the reason, it is probably the ones that crucify another more. A little joke, jest, or criticism never hurt anyone, but maybe it does. Maybe if there is too much of it. Yeah, it depends.
  7. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I am sure that a lot of people are lying because they think it is cool but I know a lot of people who have experimented with it.
  8. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I think cocaine users are honest among friends, and other cocaine users. I don't think people are honest about it with other people other than the 2 groups I just mentioned before. Why would they? To be judged? It's like any other person. You for example. You don't go around telling your business to all your co-workers or associated from school or college. You tell your business to your friends, or to people you know share similar interests to your own.
  9. Andorphin

Andorphin Member

I haven't met anyone that does cocaine yet. I've met people who smoke marijuana though. They admit it straight forward without much discomfort. However, they wouldn't want to tell police or someone who knows a policeofficer about that. I think it's almost the same with cocaine addicts. Maybe some may even not admit that they do it because they don't want to appear as if they were drug addicts and some may admit it as son as you ask them.
  10. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I remember when I was drinking heavily, and I would sometimes go to work meetings where alcohol was on offer. Now, I never did drink throughout the day, both then and now, and I would make a big show of how disgusted I was with people who would drink during work hours, and how I was so much better than them for abstaining. Pretty pathetic really, but there you go. When you're in the grip of addiction you become such a different person to who you really are. Sad.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Weeell, I believe that my friend (a friend I reconnected with recently) is blowing smoke when he says he no longer does cocaine. At first I believed him, nut now he has lost all the credibility. I am almost certain he still does cocaine, he is just not the same he used to be :(
  12. Adrianna

Yes you are right. This would be the smart thing to do. I guess when people say or show what's going on that would place them in the category or; not too smart.
  13. Adrianna

This is true. You're so funny. "they won't shout it on the roof top." I've seen a few that might as well of been on a roof top. But I've had some rare and entertaining experiences throughout my life. Mafia types with no scruples. I think people who are that on the edge don't necessarily realize how obvious they are. I've actually seen a few come out of a public restroom with it on their face or shirt.
  14. Razor

Razor Member

I lied about doing Coke all the time I robed from family everybody I could nasty nasty drug
  15. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

From my experience, people will be more honest about some of the lesser drugs like pot, but less honest when comes to heavier drugs like cocaine. As you talked about, a lot that is due to the fact that there are many "functioning" coke addicts. Those that can go to work on time and spend time with there family, while also doing bumps regularly.
  16. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Оnе оf thе sidе еffесts оf аddiсtiоn аs mеntiоnеd аbоvе is аn inаbility tо bе truthful. Еvеn thоugh а сосаinе аddiсt mаy knоw whаt thеy аrе dоing is nоt gооd fоr thеmsеlvеs thеy hаvе in еssеnсе dесidеd tо stiсk with it аnd соntinuе using. Thеy will оftеn liе tо оthеrs аnd thеmsеlvеs in оrdеr tо prоtесt thеir bеhаviоrs аnd аvоid bеing fасеd with hаving tо сhаngе. Аddiсtiоn аnd lying gо hаnd in hаnd, sоmе оf thе mоst соmmоn liеs а сосаinе аddiсt tеlls аrе:
  17. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I found that most users that do powdered cocaine, most likely, wont lie about their addiction. Many people that I know that use this form of coke are arrogant, & feel that they are not addicts: as if they have some kind of control over their use. In my experience I also found that most rock cocaine users would lie about their addiction. Many people I know that use this form of cocaine tend to feel ashamed of their addiction. All in all I feel a cocaine user would be more apt to be truthful about their addiction, as opposed to an addict of any other drug. Unless the other drug is marijuana, of course.
  18. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Hnmmm... my first thought in seeing this thread is, "Of course they lie about it! Who wouldn't?"

I mean, there may be some people a cocaine user can be forthcoming with, but I think the majority of people you can't talk to about these issues. Most people spend the majority of their time at work with coworkers or at home with their family, and these are not the first places a person would discuss a subject like cocaine use with.

There are always exceptions, but I bet most coke users hide it from the majority of the people they interact with on a day to day basis.
  19. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Well, everyone can't be judged with one perspective.
    Each person reacts in his/her own unique to such situations.