An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do Teens believe that smoking marijuana is “normal” now?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by lalabee21, Sep 19, 2015.

1. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

I have a teenager daughter and we’re very close. I want to believe that she not only sees me as her mom but also as a friend. Yesterday she heard us talking about a nephew who’s her age and who was caught smoking pot. She then laughed and said something like, “but, it’s just pot.”

After talking for a while I got to the conclusion that teens believe there’s nothing wrong with smoking marijuana and that it’s normal because it’s legal.

My daughter is a very good girl and I know her very well so I’m sure she’s not smoking or anything. But, is it possible teens believe smoking pot is just normal?

I have nothing against medical marijuana and I totally agree with its legalization. But, it’s not ok to smoke marijuana recreationally and it’s not normal to be a pothead.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

In my area, the “it’s just pot” attitude was pretty much normal even back when I was a teen. Or its more sinister cousin, “At least it’s not crack/meth/etc.” It’s a bit disturbing, especially the latter, but to me it’s not the least bit surprising.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It does seem like pot use is pretty common among teens. It's pretty common for a teenager to try pot. It's a little less likely for a teen to be a pot head, but it's still pretty common. Other drugs are pretty common as well, they are not as common as weed. Weed is generally about as common as alcohol. Some teens even do substances at school. My old high school was in the news paper for teens getting hospitallied for doing uppers and downers at school. Teens see weed as not a big deal because they see all the other drugs and the effects on their classmates.
  4. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Unfortunately, many kids today think pot is harmless, though it's still a debate, but the thing is, even if it's harmless you wouldn't want your daughter wasting her time on pot, there's a chance it plays as a gateway drug to harder drugs. if you're worried you should just talk to her, maybe the net time this subject is brought up? show some articles about side effects of weed to her and let her be the judge of whether it's harmful or not.
    lalabee21 likes this.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think you're right, many youngsters these days do believe that it's normal or harmless, which it isn't. Especially considering how marijuana has increased significantly in potency over the years and how it's increase in strength has been linked to mental illnesses such as psychosis and schizophrenia. The potency is constantly increasing and I'm very surprised the UK government haven't reclassified it to a Class B drug yet. I do, however, believe it's only a matter of time.
    lalabee21 likes this.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No, they don't believe it is normal, because most of them smoke it to look cool. And as everything controversial and out of the ordinary is considered "cool" nowadays, they do it. If smoking pot was considered normal, they would turn to another drug, just like they turned to marijuana from cigarettes. It's just a craze to make them look more independent and careless.
    Wulphzlayre likes this.
  7. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

Hey, interesting information about the increase in strength and all this. I don’t know but in my school and in my times pot was not normal, and I’m not that old, I’m just 32!

I just don’t think that drugs are normal, and in my opinion they shouldn’t be considered harmless by anyone, especially by teens. This is seriously wrong, because as you said, weed is like the gate opener for other drugs.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I remember way back when I was in school a lot of people smoked pot but I never did. Never really had an interest in it. They didn't seem to think that there was anything wrong with it. Today most of them still do smoke pot when they get together. I think since it has become legal in some places that it has become more acceptable to do so. I have heard the words "its just pot" so many times. People don't tend to think of it as anything serious.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Marijuana was actually moved back up to class B in the UK back in 2009.

It is a pretty common thing for teens to try though, along with alcohol. Now, to me, alcohol is much more harmful than marijuana. Alcohol is the real life-destroyer here.
  10. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

All the teens I irked with as a teacher reall did consider it the norm. Even the ones who chose not to smoke considered it as normal as we adults consider smoking cigerettes normal. In their social world - its everywhere!
  11. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I think it depends on the teen you're talking to, and the crowd they hang out with. Some will certainly say that pot is no big deal; some will argue otherwise. I would've said that it was a big deal when I was a teen, 'cause it just wasn't a part of my world, but I've since met people who have been doing it their whole lives (well, up into their teens, anyway) and view it as just another part of their daily routine.

I suppose part of the problem is pot's comparative harmlessness to other drugs. That's not to say that it's not a bad thing itself, but that it seems normal when viewed in the same lineup as cocaine, meth, etc.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You're right, my mistake. I think they changed it to Class C around 2004/2005 then a few years later they reclassified it to Class B again. I think that was because it was no longer an arrestable offense to carry small quantities and therefore many users were viewing it as being legal. What I really wanted to point out is that it's increasing so much in potency that it wouldn't surprise me if it gets reclassified to a Class A drug, along with cocaine and heroin. Perhaps they'll do that with pure THC eventually. Then again, speed/amphetamine (which is pretty much the same thing as meth) is also a Class B drug so both marijuana and speed are under the same classification.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

Yes, they think it's normal. As I've mentioned in other posts, movies, music and TV shows have taken the task to promote weed as something normal and cool. Same with sex and booze. Another little trend I've noticed is, that everybody seems to think disgusting things like puking, explosive diarrhea, farting, burping, anything that goes against good manners, is cool and funny. It's like if there was a clear intent to eradicate every moral thing in the world. Sure glad I don't have kids. Don't believe me? Just watch the movie "Vacation," a remake of the old 80s Chevy Chase movie. Watch them both, one after the other. You'll see what I mean.
    Wulphzlayre likes this.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

They really do. That's how it was when I was a teen, how it will continue to be, and has pretty much always been. It's what everyone's doing so to speak. Therefore there's a lot of peer pressure that goes along with it. If you don't smoke, you're looked at like you're weird.
    Sparkster likes this.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Most probably teens or people in general in areas where marijuana is legal have such thinking, that it is just normal. But in areas where pot is illegal, it is a big deal and if caught smoking, it will be a real issue.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You agree with the medical marijuana legislation but you are worried about what your daughter thinks. It is ok to smoke it and that it's normal. Its kind of a contradiction. What you should understand about teens and the generation above them is that prescription drugs are looked as a cool recreational thing to do. Obviously this includes pot. Medical marijuana. I'm not too sure that it makes sense to say its ok because its "legal". It's also legal to take a prescription a doctor gives you, even if you lied to get it. This is what kids do today. I listened to this girl get xanax from her doctor so she could come down from her high on ecstasy. I mean they can do that with pot and getting their card. Make a story up.
    Normal? What's normal? They will either being going for it or thinking its a waste. Sorry but this is where the medical industry is encouraging drugs. It's like go get the chemo/mustard gas, cause that's what it is, and then you can smoke some pot to feel better. The cycle is obvious. Poison and then the chilling herb. We'll make your death easier for you with this. I'm not sure how people can agree with that. I guess nobody wants to face the facts.
  17. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana in the past few years has got more attention that it previously did. With those calling for the legalization of Marijuana making it appear like there are lots of health benefits that come with smoking weed, I'm certain that their curiosity piqued, kids wouldn't mind trying marijuana just to find out if all that's been said is true. If cannabis abuse is on the increase, blame the media.
  18. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

When most people say that Marijuana is safe, they often cite ridiculous sources on the Internet. A lot of teens fall in this trap, unfortunately. While smoking Marijuana may be considered normal (after all, it's a recreational drug after all in some countries), my kids will be taught never to touch it, simply because most of the smokers become at some point solitary people, with no other interests than smoking pot and chilling.

So yeah, it's considered normal, but mostly by lowlife people and people who don't have any goals at all.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It's not only teens... even I think ''it's just pot''. I don't think using pot in baked goods is a good idea though. It can be quite dangerous, and can even lead to death to eat way too many brownies or cookies laced with marijuana in one sitting. I think the effects are even stronger when you lace your baked good with weed, and people should be very careful! A kid died died after eating too many cookies laced with marijuana.
  20. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think the recent media coverage of the legalization of marijuana will mean that a lot of people will start seeing marijuana as something like tobacco which can be smoked casually or use as a social drug. There are a lot of teens who smoke marijuana and so peer pressure will influence others.