An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do the anti-smoking pictures on cigarette packs really work?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amethyst, Jan 23, 2015.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I wonder if the horrible pictures that are featured on cigarette packs these days really help people to give up smoking. I certainly feel affected by those images whenever I see them, which is usually while I am waiting in the supermarket check-out line.
    I gave up smoking many years ago, and the truth is that whenever I felt tempted to reach for a cigarette, which only happened twice so far, all I had to do is look at the images on the cigarette packs displaying rotten feet, people hooked onto medical machines, and deformed babies, to convince me otherwise.
    How about you? Do you feel indifferent to those pictures, or do they affect you?
  2. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

The pictures are gross but they never affected me to either stop or not want to smoke. However, now that I have kids, I see them as a great thing. Because for a very young kid, those pictures are pretty scary, and therefore a good thing. If a whole generation of young children grow up with the message that smoking is gross and scary, maybe they won't have any desire to start up when they get older.
    Zyni and amethyst like this.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The pictures on the cigarette packets don't affect me at all. I've seen so much anti-smoking material over the years in my constant efforts to quit and I think I have become desensitized to them. Hopefully they do scare younger people though.
    Zyni and amethyst like this.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Personally they've never bothered me. They're only letting me know about risks I've known about since elementary school. I personally think it should be the parents' jobs to teach their kids about the dangers instead of torturing smokers with dead bodies every time they light one up.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Those pictures also really freak me out! They are a true turn off for me and for a very long time I always wondered why someone would want to gross anyone out like that but now that I have a child, nieces and nephews I also appreciate that the cigarette packs have those nasty images. That anti smoking strategy will surely work on the young ones and keep them as far away from smoking as possible!
  6. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I have not seen any pictures on cigarette packs. but the commercials on TV sure are freak out worthy and I think would have an effect on the younger generation. Smoking is no longer acceptable or "cool" as it had been years ago so I think that will play a factor in kids picking up the habit.
    Zyni likes this.
  7. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I always found them quite unsettling, but I never smoked, and the people around me who had the packs never seemed bothered by it -- it's like they saw it but without really paying attention, really. For me, those pics and claims are more a way for the government to shed responsibility, like they do with anti-gambling campaigns: they make a whole lot of money from it and from the addictions of common people, but at least they do mention it's a bad thing, so their hands are "clean", so to speak.
  8. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

The warnings have been around 40 years, and they don't work, so they took away the designations such as "light" and "ultra-light", so no one was fooled to think it was a safer cigarette. Now, the pictures. It is shock value. It might work on new smokers, but most of those are kids that think they will live forever anyway. My take on it is that this won't help either.
    Zyni likes this.
  9. Mahpokemons

Mahpokemons Member

The pictures are there as a shock value but honestly I feel I've never really been affected by them, maybe i'm too jaded by seeing them all the time? I do agree with some of the comments I think they are mostly just something put on the packs so the government can clean their hands and say that they tried to do something about it. Anyone who really wants to smoke won't pay any attention to those images because usually they don't care and don't see it as an issue since it is currently not happening to them in real life.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is a good thing that you are affected with those photos and help you get away with it. :)
    In here, packs of cigarettes only have labels like smoking kills or dangerous for your health but there are no photos. Those capitalist are able to stop the government from passing a bill saying that there should be photos of those on the packs which is really annoying since just mere words will not affect those smokers.
  11. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Nope, those things are useless. I even found them amusing while opening my 2nd pack for the day. They are only wasting money printing out those images. o_O
  12. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

The warnings have been around forever. I haven't seen pictures on packs, but I kind of doubt they would help a long time smoker quit. As noted above, hopefully those images will be deterrents for younger generations to help them avoid ever starting.

Smokers know that cigarettes are not good for them. People addicted to other substances know that those substances are not good for them too. Once a person is addicted though, it's difficult to quit no matter how bad something is for you.
  13. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I doubt that they work. I do not see people not buying cigarettes because of that. Of course, in India you can buy individual cigarettes and not the whole pack so it does not make much sense in printing the warning on the pack. This also encourages impulse smoking and that is a problem.
  14. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

They sure do, for me at least. Those pictures are very graphic in content and any smoker would at least, I think, give it a second look as to how diseases and illnesses may arise from smoking. I think it is a very good strategy in promoting the no-smoking campaign, since most people do not learn their lesson until they are frightened or given a very dangerous warning, like those graphic pictures. But what could really be a great strategy is what they call Sin-Tax law which gives a very high tax on commodities like alcohol and cigarettes. It wasn’t implemented in our country yet because alcohol and cigarette manufacturers are fighting against its implementation.
  15. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

No, and I'm against doing this as it's very much like so called "pro lifers" going around with posters of aborted fetuses. It's shameful and disgusting. How would they like it if we put pictures of mounds of human fat and pictures of diabetes amputees on candy bars and tubs of ice cream? Pictures of mangled bodies from car accidents on cases of beer? Pictures of starving malnourished kids working in sweatshops in China on all Wal-Mart merchandise?

The so called "sin tax" too is a joke. Greed is a sin, I don't see career politicians accepting bribes from lobbyists, and cheating on their spouses with hookers getting taxed on their "sins". I don't see priests paying a "sin tax" for molesting kids.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have never seen the pictures on packs of cigarettes. What brand are they on? I see the warning label on the side of cigarettes. I have never thought much about it. I know I'm killing myself as I continue to smoke. I will stop when I've had enough which that day may never come, but warnings don't faze me.
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I guess it helps some people be more aware of the damages but it never really did much for me. I've always known the downsides and I've always kept my cigarette intake in check, though not completely because of the visual imagery but more just my own gauge. I've smoked a lot in a day before and I could feel my throat and lungs having a slight roughness so I just cut down and I plan on cutting down even more as I go along.
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If they really want people to quit, they should go on the news and tell everyone that smoking cigarettes will make your penis and breast shrink. Then I think there will be a dramatic change in the attitude towards smoking. Tell someone you can get cancer if you smoke, they will continue to smoke. Tell them you'll sexual organs will shrivel up.....they'll cry bloody murder.
  19. BeachyKeen

BeachyKeen Member

We do have ads like that! Here in the UK at least. There's one that appears on packets of cigarettes showing a drooping cigarette which says "smoking can lead to impotence", but I think it's more amusing than a warning really. I don't think the pictures/warnings work in general. There is literally nobody who thinks that smoking isn't unhealthy anymore, people just choose to do it anyway.

http://www.gutsofaburglar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/impotence.jpg
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I dont think the pictures or anti-smoking campaigns work if i'm honest. If people want to smoke they will do regardless. I am a smoker and the campaigns have never made me want to stop, i've cut down but thats been my choice, not because somebody as told me to. Every smoker knows the dangers and risks involved already so a few pictures wont matter...