An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do the anti-smoking pictures on cigarette packs really work?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amethyst, Jan 23, 2015.

1. BeachyKeen

BeachyKeen Member

I think in part the campaigns are aimed at the younger generation (like young teenagers age 13/14) to stop them taking up smoking in the first place. When I started smoking at age 16 we all knew it was unhealthy but we did it anyway, teenagers aren't always known for their stellar decision making skills...
  2. ABC123

ABC123 Member

Those pictures are not going to stop kids from smoking. maybe some. I grew up with the message in school about how harmful smoking is and yet some of my classmates still got hooked on it. I think is like that with everything. People can be educated, but they still fall victim to it. It is sad.
  3. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I don't think the pictures work either. I have seen people just buy a pack of cigarettes and look at the images and just take out a stick and light it. I don't understand how someone can just buy something which on the packaging says that it will kill you. I guess when you are addicted then these things mean nothing.
  4. ABC123

ABC123 Member

Right. If we are educated enough to know this stuff will kill you or put you in a harmful mess, then why are there so many who fall into. Society has talked about the harmful effects it has. Our educational system teaches about for the benefit of warding students from it, so they can have a better life. Yet people still decide to purchase their death. It makes no sense.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If only smokers cared . . .

There's one man who when he was diagnosed with a some illness started smoking and I mean a lot of cigarettes a day hoping that the cigarettes would hasten his demise. They didn't. By that time he learned that the diagnosis was a false alarm, he was addicted. And though he knew the cigars would kill him, he just couldn't stop smoking not because he wanted to die but because he claimed they helped him relax.

I think most smokers know the effect the cigarettes will have on them but they just don't care. Their excuse? Their grandfather's smoked until they "died of old age." So no matter how many images are slapped on cigarette packets, smokers may not even notice them.
  6. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I do believe it does work to a certain extend, I do not smoke, but when I look at those pictures they scare me, so I am very sure that there are those who would quit due to the effects of those pictures, that is why I said they do work to acertain extend.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I've never met anyone who has seen them while smoking quit smoking because of them. I have seen people buy them & save them as souvenirs but never reconsider their purchase. It's a tough habit to stop with imagery alone.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

The signs are on them but, it may not work and also people still smoke it and don't think about the consequences and also the ads seem to do a little effect and not a huge difference. I think more needs to be done, and more awareness and this may help people to wake up and realize the negative effects of the smoking. Most, just choose to do it and also don't think of the consequences that can happen from taking it in the body and how it affects the health and also the body.
  9. upandonward53

upandonward53 Member

Unfortunately, I smoke and though I would not say that I am indifferent to the images, they haven't helped me to quit. Smoking is more than just a visual addiction so simply viewing the disturbing images aren't enough to help me to quit. What will help me to quit is getting back into the gym because this will impact me physically and physiologically.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's a welcome incentive to help people stop smoking, but tobacco companies have never feared that they will affect us smokers somehow, as nicotine addiction goes way beyond the emotions that those horrible pictures evidentiate.
    And we are aware of the risks we expose ourselves at endlessly, anyway, but we thoroughly enjoy smoking and, inevitably, this addiction. I reckon that, if we smoke moderately to the point of nothing, we should be fine.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

In my opinion you have to be a bit silly not to take the risks of smoking seriously. Yeah, some pictures on the cigarette packs are photoshopped, but not in a crazy way and it's pretty close to reality. And people keep telling themselves "yeah, that won't happen to me", but they will never know what to expect in the future.
  12. serpes

serpes Member

Those pictures are put there to scare people. But almost everybody thinks: “It can never happen to me”. Back when I was a smoker those pictures had no effect on me. They probably work on nonsmokers that might try a cigarette or two just to see why it is like.
  13. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

I don't think they work. When a person craves a cigarette or any other substance for that matter, they will neglect and disregard any future consequences. In this case, it would be something like lung cancer, which you can see on the packet. The craving clouds judgement, and for that reason I don't think that the pictures are a deterrent at all.
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

For some people, those pictures might work. But for some who don’t freak out easily, those images, no matter how graphic they are, won’t deter a person from smoking.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't think they are useful, but they are obligated to use them if I recall correctly. I never saw a person who was inclined to not smoke a pack of cigarettes just because of the images and the text on the pack.
  16. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

I remember hearing that they were going to start doing this, but I have yet to see them. I was not aware they started putting these pictures on. Maybe this is just in certain states? I am in North Carolina and have never seen one of those pictures on any pack of cigarettes.. and I have a lot of friends who smoke.
  17. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Truth be told, it depends on the person. Some see the pictures but don't mind, some also see it and get scared of the causes of the cigarette. But generally these pictures don't seem to affect the smokers, no matter how much the ads keep on telling "Smoking is dangerous to your health". Most people just can't quit on it. It's a part of their system and day by day life. If you get used to something it really is hard to get out of your system.
  18. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

I quit a while a go, but I don't really think those work so well. I mean those pictures can be a reminder of the harmful effects of smoking, but it doesn't mean that it will really impact the smoker. Cigarette companies need to push it forward and find new and creative ways to create ads and campaigns to help people to stop smoking. Or then we would have to go to Option B, making cigarettes illegal.
  19. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

If you are really addictive to them, then it won't matter what is pictured on the box. Addicts will smoke it no matter what. Addiction is that potent and consuming. I'm sure addicts have heard it time and time again that these things will kill you, but they still do it. The added pictures still won't sway them.
  20. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I have been smoking since I was 12 and I see the pictures and adverts on television. They have never ever made me want to stop. It may be disgusting but I think we all think in our minds ''That will never happen to me. ''