An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do the anti-smoking pictures on cigarette packs really work?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amethyst, Jan 23, 2015.

1. miro1231

miro1231 Member

The images, as bad as they look, don't seem to help people. Most people are just like that. No matter how many times you tell them it's bad for them, they will continue doing it until they suffer the consequences. Normally the same goes for the pictures, they are disgusted by them, but wouldn't take any measures as to stop seeing them (like stop buying cigarettes?). I know people that bought special boxes to keep their cigarettes in, just so they don't have to see the pictures in question every time they wish to smoke.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I haven't seen these pictures that you are speaking of. They should scare people with stuff like that. I always think of the lady in the waiting room that was dead in the beetle juice movie. She had a slit in her throat and was still smoking a cigarette. The smoke was popping out of her neck and she looked like shoe leather. They should put her picture on the side of the pack. Lol, I mean come on. It's pretty nasty. It kills people. They could put a little tombstone with RIP in a cartoon. I love these people who say that they want to slowly kill themselves with something like cigarettes. They smile and laugh at themselves. It just seems dumb.
  3. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Of course, they are amusing, they don't help you to quit smoking, they actually make you smoke even more.
    It's pointless.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I used to think that they worked, but I'm no longer convinced. I still see too many people around me smoke without a care about all the possible health issues. Smoking is too deeply ingrained into our culture that it's something that will be with us for many centuries to come. I really don't know if there ever will be an effective anti-smoking campaign during our life time.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

Yes they really help. The pictures are usually true pictures showing the effects of smoking tobacco. Children can stay away from smoking if they know the effects resulting from smoking. There is nothing to hide since cancer kills. It can kill your child, uncle, aunt or even you.
  6. DutchMike

DutchMike Member

First time I saw them was when I was on vacation in Canada about 10 years ago, we don't have those pictures on the packs here in the Netherlands.
    It definitely didn't do anything for me, but then I was already a smoker of course. The store I bought my cigarettes also sold these 'sleeves' you could put over the packs so you wouldn't see the images.

I still think the only thing that'll make people quit is to make it more and more expensive and keep banning it in more places. I still smoke by the way, but that's because I can afford it and the only places we can't smoke indoors are in public places and bars and restaurants. Outside the places is still very legal.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Yeah, cigarettes here are very cheap. Even below average income earners can buy them. And they do buy cigarettes instead of food. Which makes me wonder if cigarettes fill the appetite too? Lol. Anyway, with the influential tobacco and cigarette companies around, I think raising the price of cigarettes in our country is almost impossible. Maybe these manufacturers have ties within the government that is why no laws against cigarette smoking are even enforced.
  8. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

Actually, I don't think that it has any effects, because in those days, every smoker and none smoker knows about the smoking effects on the humain body, so pictures doesn't change anything, in my country they don't post any pictures on the cigarettes packs ! lol
  9. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I'm not so sure about this, I don't remember myself being bothered by it or affecting me in any way. To be honest I didn't even pay attention to it. I guess it might have different result for other people.
  10. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

I don't think they work. I still see people still smoking after seeing smoking ads. Maybe it does influence people to change their life style as my mom stopped smoking after a while of seeing an ad. Studies would probably have to be done to know if does work, I guess it's up to the person which depends on how easily influenced they are.