An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do we need to respect addict?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by 6up, Feb 23, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

Are we supposed to respect addicts? What values do they have in our society. In my Society drug addicts are seen as useless people. Are they of any help?
  2. Plus

Plus Member

Of course, we are all human, after all. Some people make mistakes and need some help getting back their lives, by no means do you ever have to sacrifice your money or a shoulder to cry on, but a common courtesy you offer to anyone you pass by is expected.

I find it rather odd that some people don't respect 'addicts'. True addicts are hard to spot, often times addictions become part of their everyday lives and mold themselves to fit into a normal lifestyle without any signs of problems.

But in short, yes, I believe everyone should respect one another. It shouldn't matter what their background is.
  3. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

We need to respect them as human beings and we need to respect them if they indeed are successful in some certain aspects of his life. For example, you can see that a lot of addicts are successful artists or even merchants. By respecting them as human beings, we show that we actually care for them. Instead of projecting an image that we are superior to them, we will project the image that we share this world together.

However, we cannot give an impression that their addictions and lifestyle don't reduce people's respect of them by constantly giving him impressions that his lifestyle can be better without drugs. That is why it is very important to find a balance between respecting them as a human being and not "respecting" his lifestyle.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Are you not a human too? Everyone needs to respect each other, regardless of what situation they have gotten themselves into. I understand that it is easy to lose respect for people, but they are still human beings who make mistakes like you do. They put their pants on one leg at a time, just like you do.
    Zyni likes this.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

We are supposed to respect ALL human beings, whether they are addicts or not.

People don't just wake up in the morning one day and think "I know, I'll become an addict!". They become addicted after using drink and drugs to try and blot out whatever pain they are going through at the time. Not everyone has a loving family to rely on and not everyone has someone to turn to when life gets tough.
  6. bombshell

bombshell Member

Where I live heroine, meth and prescription pill addiction runs rampant. I occasionally get people who are obviously addicts in my place of business, and honestly, once they come in the objective is to get them out. My upstairs neighbor is also an addict and we keep our conversations to simple greetings when we run across each other.

If a friend or family member chooses drugs over children and family I refuse to respect that. I have experimented with drugs, but have enough restraint to put my health, wellness and family before habitual use of anything. I might feel pity or sympathy for an addict, but I can't respect a drug addict because they are not respecting themselves.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Everyone is one step away from being a useless person just as everyone is one step away from changing the world. We can't ignore the relevance of life no matter how difficult a person makes it to do so. Empathy is our pearl, as humans. Something that is inside us of the utmost value that we can potentially ignore because it's easier. Everyone is capable of something great & one day we'll be able to see everything in context & realize even the worst of us helped make other people's lives better. So, yes, everyone deserves respect.
    missbishi, kjonesm1 and Zyni like this.
  8. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Calling someone useless is incredibly judgmental and harsh. Any one of us could find ourselves losing control and ending up in the cycle of addiction. We don't know what might have had a hand in bringing them to place in life. People often turn to drugs as a form of escape from pain or a form of coping with terrible things, and end up addicted. No one dreams of being an addict when they grow up. I hope the people who think others are "useless" never have to find out the hard way just how quickly life can fall apart.
    missbishi likes this.
  9. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I'm sorry, but you guys are tripping. Websters definition of respect is:
    "a feeling of admiring someone or something that is good, valuable, important, etc."
    I've been up close and personal with addiction and I get the feeling some of you have not. If you hold addicts in high regards there is a problem in your way of thinking. I've been there and the only thing an addict respects is another opportunity to get high. They don't usually respect their family's or fellow man, and they never respect themselves.
  10. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I know what you're saying, Kjones, but not every addict is a typical "junkie" either. I don't think anyone respects the bad behavior of an individual, but you can be sure that most people are still "valuable and important" to someone.
    kjonesm1 and missbishi like this.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Well said Zyni. We don't know anything about what other people's lives are like so are not qualified to call them useless. Given that this forum is meant to be about supporting recovery, I feel that this might not be the best place to start calling names.
    Zyni likes this.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Respect: a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements
    Useless:not at all useful : not doing or able to do what is needed : not producing or able to produce the effect you want.

The English language is such a funny thing. I was going to offer my contribution and the kjonesm1's comments sent me back to the drawing board.

I will say this though, I don't ever see myself telling someone they are "useless". It serves no good even if according to the dictionary they are "not doing or able to do what is needed" or there isn't "a feeling of deep admiration for someone" etc, etc. Words hurt and can destroy lives. Just check the reasons for so many suicides.

That said I understand everything everyone said here. It's all about interpretation and perspective. For me I "respect" everyone's opinion and thing this is a very "useful" discussion.
    Zyni and kjonesm1 like this.
  13. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

I don't believe in a word "useless". Every one of us have a unique character, so we are into something that others can't do. We know something that others don't know. Not because we are addict we don't need respect. In the first place, we are not demanding respect, (at least for me, speaking in addict point of view) we don't care if people around us treat us like nothing or don't respect us. That's their problem, not us. But, we are only human being, of course we make mistakes, but that doesn't mean that we are useless piece of ****. Maybe we chosen a wrong path, but every people goes from different phase of life.
    Zyni likes this.
  14. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Exactly. How many people on this board are or have been addicts? (that's a rhetorical question). Are all of us "ueseless"? Also, what if someone who needs help is lurking? This attitude certainly won't be inviting to them.

I also agree that a forum designed to offer help and support is not the place to tell the people looking for said help and support that they're useless and not worthy of respect.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

We do need to respect addicts because they are people like the rest of us. People need respect in life and should not be made to feel hopeless or useless. Addicts should be taken care of more than the average person, because they are the ones who need our help the most. Some do not know what to do, or where to turn, because society does treat them as worthless junkies. If we all did our part to make them feel like a worthwhile part of society, it could encourage them to clean up because there are people who care.
    Zyni likes this.
  16. I don't think respect is the right word for this question, but yes, we need to respect all human beings. We shouldn't look up to them and admire their addictions, but rather search for the good that's still, obviously, in there. Respect can also help comfort them to know that we are there for them and we don't think of them as a "junkie" or an embarrassment since everyone has to deal with different demons that roam their minds.
    Zyni and Winterybella like this.
  17. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

Don't judge a person until you know what they've been through. Obviously we do not need to praise addicts, but disrespecting them will discourage them from improving their lives. Support is all they need, and most addicts never get it. I would not say they are useless, but everyone is human.
    Zyni likes this.
  18. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

In the USA society, drug addicts are seen as many things but mostly consumers to profit from. However, the word addict by itself can mean any way to addict to a or some thing e.g. sugar and caffeine addict. There truly is no useless humans regardless if they're a addicted to a drug(s), such a mental perspective is a result of such people limiting their imaginations and projecting their bias only. I can come up with endless uses for humans, but I will not divulge it on this forum.