An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Agree with the "No Cell Phone" Rule in Most Treatment Centers?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by romananthonysmama, Feb 1, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

Do you agree with the guidelines of patients not being able to use their cell phones for at leas the first few days of their stay? I have a lot of mixed views on this. My first instinct is that it is beneficial, because one of the main factors in staying sober is cutting contact with those in the outside world who influenced you using, or used with you. However, another part of me feels like when you finally take that leap of fate and start the recovery process, it may be extremely beneficial to be able to call your loved ones and talk about your experience in order to hear supportive and kind words from those that you love that could motivate you to keep you going. What are your views on the rule?
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think I am more into not agreeing on it. As you said, having continuous contact to the loved ones could help a person be motivated and as well feeling not left alone. It will be difficult to totally lost contact especially if you have a family.
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Nah, I agree with it. You should be able to truly get in the groove of things before reporting back to the family -- it is very possible that if you don't experience the discomfort of the new place, new people, and let yourself feel a bit alone before you try to reach out not to your family, the safety boat, but to the people around you, the connections you'll make there will be stronger.

That's the impression I got from my father's treatments and, I guess from my life. When I visited new places alone, I was more likely to find new friends and make acquaintances than when I went to study abroad with my boyfriend -- he was home waiting for me and the person I confided in. When I did not have that, I had to rely on myself more and to discover my surroundings and meet new people, which is very helpful to feel integrated to the new place rather than just having one foot in and the other home.
  4. Linno

Linno Member

I agree with it, I think it could be a distraction. Plus especially for those first few days it'd be good to be away from your regular environment/contacts. I can see how it makes it extra hard but I think it'd be worth it in the end, the positives outweigh it for me.
  5. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Well if they are being treated in a facility with a very good environment where they can do a lot of other things to occupy their time then that no cellphone rule is more than appropriate. The only time that rule will be an issue is when boredom becomes unavoidable.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it is alright. If a person is to survive being a recovering addict, then he or she will eventually be expected to do so regardless of whether or not they get support from the outside, so it's best to start learning to be independent as early as possible. That's just my opinion on it though. I'm not an expert on recovery so I may be wrong.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Honestly, it's a good thing to do in the initial stages of treatment but as a long term solution it's a waste of time. This patient is not going to be in a treatment center for the rest of their life. They're going to have to get back to living life. So, if they do not come to the realization that keeping certain people in their life helps trigger their addiction taking a phone won't be the thing to help them realize this.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think one of the reasons for going to rehab apart from seeking treatment is to seek a fresh start. We have to get acclimatized to our new environment and feel that we're in a new habitat. It would therefore not make much sense if you're still in constant communication with your buddies two days into rehab.
  9. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I think it depends on who you're contacting with it. If it's someone supportive and helpful, sure, but if it's someone who has played a role in you needing a treatment center it can be very bad. Ties with bad influences need to be cut for sure.
  10. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

Yes I do. But I think there should be a way to contact your loved one who you feel supported by 24/7. Perhaps with a phone that can only dial the designated number?
  11. Kteabc

Kteabc Member

I agree with no cell phone. I was in treatment for 4 months with no communication, Internet, etc. I could call my parents only and i was 31 years old. At the time it was hard but it allowed me to focus on me. You have to let go of old ideas and beliefs to live your life differently. I know I wouldn't have been able to really let go of some of my old thinking if I was chatting it up and trying to manage what was left of my awful life. It sucks but if you really want to get better and live no cell phone won't kill you.
  12. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

If they don't want me to use a mobile, I'll not. I want the recuperation process to get into a fast lane and I would fully cooperate with my support team. I want to see tangible results myself and see how the recovery process is helping me to get back on track. I think my family can wait and I can certainly wait to meet my family. In any case, my family will be delighted to see an improved me after a couple of weeks, I guess.
  13. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I totally agree with not allowing patients to have use of a cell phone. The reason being is because the patient needs to focus on their sobriety and the need to not be able to contact anyone to bring them anything or come and get them. The temptation would be entirely too strong if they are allowed a cell phone.
  14. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

I do believe It is best to not have contact with the outside world while in treatmeant. it just makes people want to get onto social media and fall in the bad agian and text/call people that are doing bad things and not trying to change.
    aimeep80 likes this.
  15. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

My husband actually snuck his phone in the first few times he went into treatment. He would beg me to come get him and eventually I would give in and do so. The last time he went into treatment was on his own accord and he was serious and very committed so he handed his phone over to the counselor or whomever held on to them.
  16. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I don't see how it can be a good idea to immediately take away something from you that many would regard as a "life line". It seems to me that the treatment starts with a "punishment", and I know that I would react to that, because it would feel like someone is taking away one of my basic rights. Personally, I would much more agree with a set-up where a patient is allowed to make a certain number of calls at a certain time during the day. For example, two calls a day for 20 minutes each, is perfectly sufficient. Naturally, any kind of emergency calls would be excepted.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I feel like these sort of rules have definite pros and definite cons. I think it's a positive thing to take cell phones away so that the patient's sole focus can be on recovery. No outside distractions, no checking Facebook or Instagram to see what everyone else is up to (especially if they're out partying or whatever...) but I can also see a patient not having their phone as something that may induce a bit of anxiety and additional stress, which may hamper their focus on recovery too. I think having a fixed period that is clearly outlined of 'no phones' is probably best -- that way the patient still has that light at the end of the tunnel where they know they can contact loved ones and let them know of their progress and how they are doing.
  18. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I do. I think that not having any contact with the outside world gives you a real perspective on what is truly important and what is not very important. It gives you time to educate yourself, to free yourself of that cellular prison and think about your relationships and better yourself.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

They can come visit you.
  20. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I completely support the idea.

While I know I wouldn't personally LIKE it happening and I would feel shut off from the world, it's one more way to really force me to focus on recovery at that point, I think. And really, if there's a true emergency, the rehab place could be contacted to get a hold of me so there's nothing truly important enough that I would need my phone for.