An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Agree with the "No Cell Phone" Rule in Most Treatment Centers?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by romananthonysmama, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

Sort of and sort of not. Cell phones provide many things such as communication for one. Sometimes it lights up your mood to just talk to someone you love and it'll make you feel better. Besides the medicine and all the treatment, happiness is a great way for treatment and you can access that through your cell phone such as funny things on the internet, etc. But it could also serve as a distraction too.
  2. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

I think its better to cut off contact for the first few days since they tend to be the hardest. Withdrawal's can make a person behave rather erratic and they could say things they don't really mean and hurt others.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think it's hard enough for anyone to focus these days regardless of whether they are addicts or not so it's especially more useful for those in recovery who might have a bit of trouble focusing and keeping their impulses in check. Keeping your mind towards recovery solely is what the patient should be focused on and nothing else.
  4. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think it's good to a certain extent, where it's not up for legalism. I mean it can be really helpful to spend time in real life, without a cell phone and just be a little bit isolated and feeling alive in the present moment. I think it could be completely helpful, but to others, they might really need a cell phone for recovery. I think after all, it's subjective.
  5. justalittle

justalittle Member

I agree with this rule. Although it might not be the most fun, it is probably for the better. Sometimes alone time is what people need to recover. Most people probably wouldn't be happy with this rule, but after a couple days without cell phone use, you'd be surprised how refreshed and social you feel.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I don't completely agree or disagree with it but of course, during important sessions, it's necessary to stash away your cellphone. It can be very distracting but as everyone already pointed out, during emergencies, it would be difficult to respond when you don't have your cellphone with you.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

In the first few days of recovery you won't desire to speak to anyone. And it's a lot better, as technology can keep us glued to it, and there are lots of crazy things people can see on the Internet, if they are using their phone for this. It's better to keep them away from it, at least in the first days of accommodation.
  8. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I don't necessarily agree because I don't think it's a necessary concept at all. I think it's helpful to have a cell phone, do something with it and have fun. I think it should be limited, yeah, but not stopped completely that's a bit absurd.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think that it's probably a necessary evil. Whilst I'm sure that he majority of patients can abide by the rules, there will be some who are simply unable to and cell phones are an excellent way to organize a delivery.

If an emergency should occur, I'm pretty sure that you could be contacted immediately via the rehab center's reception.
  10. mercshe

mercshe Member

Whatever Rehab Centers are imposing in common I would definitely go with that. If they believe it would hasten the recovery rate, then I'm with them. It maybe hard for them to do at first but as soon as they get use to not having social contacts for a week or so, I don't think that is too much burden. Possible negative implications for using social networking site is that they may not focus on their treatment and tend to be uncooperative in the process of treatment. I believe researches have been made to support the sane decisions of Rehab Centers to impose such rule.
  11. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I have always hated how rehab facilities and hospitals in my area refuse patients any access to cell phones or Internet for their entire stay! Its maddening, even just during my short stays on a psych unit to get sobered up. My family or friends would always sneak my phone in when visiting so I could check email and text other friends so they at least knew I was still alive. Playing games online is also a huge coping skill for me, so not having that just puts another stressor on me.
    I spent over 30 days in rehab only once...and the lack of contact with the outside world was maddening. They said it was so we could focus on our recovery, but it was really just to keep more control over us. We couldn't even look up CNN news articles when the Sandy Hook shootings occurred. The restrictions like that eventually led me to discharge myself AMA.