An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you avoid movies featuring cocaine abuse?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Sarasmiles, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

A friend in recovery cannot watch certain movies because the subject matter includes cocaine abuse. It makes him want to do it. Have you experienced cravings because you saw it in a movie or on TV? Thank you for sharing and bless you! :)
  2. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

Not really, I tried cocaine a few times but it was just more of a constant need to sneeze than anything.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I don't have a cocaine problem so I don't. i read one time a number of years ago it could give you a heart attack after one use....so I was never interested in it..I mean seriously...that is not my idea of a good time.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I don't like watching movies with cocaine use in it. It doesn't seem to bother him but it makes me feel uncomfortable. It hits too close to home for me. The movies always make it looks like a good thing or something that everybody does.
  5. PingPongCall

I guess the wolf of wall street made me a little itchy, not because I used to do ALL the powder but something about this movie just made me want to do it again.
  6. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Yes, I'm like this. I abused many drugs and couldn't watch movies that contained drug abuse of any sort, including alcohol. It really limited what I could watch. I would always have to check the rating or parental guide section on IMDB, but I mostly watched children's movies.
  7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I don't like drug use of any kind in movies, but it is there at varying levels in much of them. I don't strictly avoid such movies because I don't often know about it until I see it.
  8. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

I have never tried Cocaine, but I feel that if you are struggling with an addiction, you should avoid all media that praises it's use. People say that you become who you associate most with. Really what that means is that your subconscious mind will adapt to whatever environment you put yourself into. If you begin watching shows about drugs or listen to music that praises it's use, odds are you are going to continue using drugs.

That's why forums like this are great. They give you the opportunity to surround yourself with individuals who want to see you are your best.
    PingPongCall likes this.
  9. PingPongCall

Some movies do go above and beyond with the glorification and overuse of drugs though. To the point that it's almost for comedic effect more than anything.
  10. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I've never really had that problem, even at the peak of my recovery when I knew I could relapse at any time.
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've never been addicted to cocaine, therefore movies showing cocaine use have never triggered me in anyway. However, I do understand there are people out there who should not be exposing themselves to such movies if they're dependent. It's worrisome that cocaine is glamorized so much in the media.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I try to avoid any kind of movies featuring that... same with movies of people drinking or abusing meds. I had a weird craving for booze after talking on here about alcohol ads (yes, quite crazy,I know!). You never know! So if you think something might damage you, then you should definitely avoid that kind of things.
  13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Even if I wasn't an addict I wouldn't want to watch it. I think some people just become desensitized after a while of watching certain things in movies like drug use or violence. Sometimes a movie can catch you by suprise if all you see in the trailers is scenes not including drug use so you might have to guess whether or not you will go.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Yes, I actually try to not watch things with this type of content.
    Not that I fear triggers, but I just don't find it entertaining.
    I did watch Wolf of Wall Street, and thought its glorification of substance abuse just awful (but it did show the negative side of things, if only a little)
  15. PingPongCall

Well that's the thing isn't it? Becoming desensitized to the world seems to be what really pushes people to wind up like this.
  16. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that cocaine in the movies is usually shown to be like a good thing in the first few times where people use them and enjoy it and then it turns to addiction and spending money which they can use for something better which the people think it is not a bad thing sometimes and need to be aware of what it can do. It is something I usually don't try and avoid when it is going to be in the movie as it can lead to addiction if a person is in the wrong crowd and also people need to try and watch movies, which are good and don't involve drugs or the misuse of these substances which can be a bad thing. I reckon that people need to be careful when watching movies and also need to be careful which can make them alert when watching a movie which involves these sort of substance abuse.
  17. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Some of the best movies I have watched are about addiction, for instance basketball diaries, Requiem for a dream etc. I watch addiction movies to see how addiction can effect your life.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It could be possible, but again, different folks, different strokes. People who've already recovered may not be affected by what they've seen on television or at the movies since they've already taken stock of their lives. On one hand, people who aren't as resilient would easily relapse just being reminded of something they tried to abandon.
  19. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Watching people drink alcohol in movies and on TV definitely triggered my latent alcoholism, especially in the first stages of sobriety. I can certainly see it being the same with other drugs too. And it's difficult to avoid being exposed to these kinds of trigger scenarios as they are both ubiquitous and difficult to predict.
  20. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I have always wondered if seeing substance use in the movies or other media would have any effect on me in my recovery. I cannot really say that it has, but I would still be a little weary about something like that because I am just being really cautious with myself. I think it just depends on the person, and if you can handle it then maybe it can even be a good thing for someone.