An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you avoid movies featuring cocaine abuse?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Sarasmiles, Dec 30, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't use cocaine, so that's not a problem for me. However, I think that it would be better for recovering addicts not to watch those sort of films because it might trigger their cravings.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've never tried cocaine - but I honestly try to avoid any movies that glorify drug use in any way. It's not something that I want to see others looking up to, or thinking it's a "fun" thing to do - so I just don't support them.
  3. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think it's a smart thing to do to stay away from movies like that. It just puts bad thoughts in your mind.
  4. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Well, I don't necessarily avoid movies featuring drug abuse, because... well it's a movie, for starters. And I'm an adult capable of forming reasonable and logical arguments for and against any action I perform.

But I can see why people may want to imitate the movie characters. In most of the films, the popular, cool guy is the one who does drugs, while the nerd stays away from it. So a person who's feeling depressed, or is socially awkward, maybe tempted to follow the characters in the films to become a 'cool guy' him/herself. and unknowingly ends up on the wrong side of the road.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, doing that would probably limit us to watching christian movies. I do admit I got big cravings while watching the movie Blow, but it wasn't enough to make me hop in my car and go looking for a dealer.
  6. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I have never been involved with that drug, so a movie like that would not pose a problem to me. I can understand how some persons who have had past experiences with cocaine would be tempted to revisit the habit when they see a scene of the drug being abused in a movie. It's not easy task staying off drugs like cocaine and heroin. Therefore, a person in rehabilitation could do themselves a favour by keeping away from any reminder of its usage.
  7. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

There is obviously an influence but at the end of the day it's up to you whether to follow or to know what's right. I've been watching the series Two and A Half Men for a long time and it does sometimes make me think that the way Charlie Harper acts in the shows is an acceptable way to act in real life. But it is not and I remind myself this every time.

Anyone who knows anything knows that it is not worth it to take any drug, cocaine is a well known drug and I doubt many people start using it simply because they saw it in a movie. I'm sure there are a few naive individuals in the world that have resorted to drugs after being influenced by a movie or t.v show. But I'm sure it's rare.
  8. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Hmm... Well I have a friend who goes through something similar. He has 2 favorite movies, one is about coke and another is about gambling. He watches them at least once a month and I guess he gets all "motivated" to do more drugs.
    Elendil likes this.
  9. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Thе pоint оf rесоvеry mеаns thаt yоu саn livе а nоrmаl, flоurishing lifе withоut thе usе оf drugs, mеаning thаt yоu will bе аblе tо gо аbоut dаily lifе withоut fееling аnxiоus оr fеаrful аbоut rеlаpsing. Yоu’ll bе аblе tо gо оut with friеnds, hоld dоwn а jоb, mаybе gо bасk tо sсhооl, аnd еvеn trаvеl. Thаt sаid, whеn in еаrly rесоvеry, hаving а bаd dаy, оr nоt bеing spirituаlly fit, yоu mаy wаnt tо аvоid сеrtаin triggеrs thаt might kiсk оff thе mеntаl оbsеssiоn аnd сrаvings tо usе. Оnе suсh triggеr fоr yоu might bе wаtсhing а mоviе thаt dеаls with drug usе.
  10. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I have never used cocaine, but I would guess I might stray away from movies featuring cocaine. Particularly a movie where it is glorified, which many movies portray in that way. The Wolf on Wall Street is a good example of that.
  11. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Well, I doubt that's ever usually advertised for a movie so I can't really avoid it. Whenever it happens though, it nothing significant so I doubt it influences anyone.
  12. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've never used cocaine but I can understand the feeling. I remember when I saw Scarface, and there was a scene there wherein the characters were snorting cocaine, I became curious about it. I wanted to know how it feels when one takes it through the nose. But of course I didn't try it. I didn't want to end up like Tony Montana.