An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Believe That Marijuana Can Replace Prescribed Pain Medicine?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by PrideKidd, Feb 17, 2015.

1. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

Hello everyone, just a thought. If you are currently on prescription pain killers ( this means actually prescribed to you ), would you favor medical marijuana in place of your vicodin or percocet?

Not only I but other people I know would love to throw their pain medicine out the window and use something all natural. I know this is an abuse forum, but I thought I would see if there were any others out there like me who are sick of taking pills. ( once again that are actually prescribed to you )

Any thoughts or comments?
  2. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Replace? No. It will never be as quick, long lasting, or effective at high pain management. In my opinion, at least.
  3. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

In my case I am not only on a lot of prescription pain medicines as well as a plethora of meds for Bipolar and extreme anxiety. When I was using I did not have to take even half of the medication. It worked amazingly well for my anxiety and pain, I am even considering moving to a state where it is legal for medical purposes. It sure would be nice to not have to take a plethora of prescription medicine on a a daily basis.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

It works well in place of medication but will not fix the underlying problem - the chemical imbalance that the synthesized drug helps to restore. It also would feel nice to be removed from some medications; sure. However you need to be careful on how much and when you step down and fully take time to look at what each of your medicines provide for you before making such a statement as moving to a state where it's been legalized. There are other alternatives, as well.
  5. I don't believe that marijuana can take the place of all pain killers. Perhaps for less severe pains, for instance if you hurt your ankle and have a prescription for a lower dose of a pain killer then very possibly. As for severe instances, no I don't believe marijuana can replace those prescriptions. In some cases, like above, there are those on a great deal of different medications, and I believe marijuana can help replace some of those prescriptions, in certain instances. To say that marijuana can be the cure-all over any prescription is simply not realistic.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm an advocate of legalizing this substance along with most others but I don't think it can really replace chemical drugs that work way faster and are made specifically for this purpose. However, I do believe that it is helpful enough for less extreme cases and at worst it should serve as a good complement to pills if the patient dislikes taking too much of them.
  7. Shimus

This. It can't replace anything, but from Glaucoma to Appetites, Marijuana has been medically proven to assist. Especially in the case of favoring the patient's will and letting them step down/reduce their medication. Like grease said though, it's in no way a cureall.
  8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

It depends on the situation but when my dad was going through chemotherapy,his doctored suggested marijuana. Before the prescription he couldn't hold down any food and was in pain. The pain medication would cause him severe stomach pain because he couldn't eat and when he tried he would vomit. He said the only thing that gave him relief was the marijuana. It helped his appetite and as he began to feel better it helped him put some weight on. I've heard of many cases where marijuana has helped people with serious conditions.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

There is a lot of studies that need to be done in order for pot to take over pain medication. I have to agree most people that I know that swear the pot does numb them from their pain. I'm not a doctor but I do see a need for further investigation in the matter. This is going to be a battle of what nature provided naturally (pot), and what the pharmaceutical companies are trying to sell you on.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not want to replace a pain reliever medication or drug with marijuana. I do not think that it is a good idea and safer. I agree that there are lots of studies needed to be done first about the use of marijuana as pain reliever.
  11. Shimus

If it does relieve pain (and if it doesn't, it grants the illusion it does) it still assists with proven methods to help combine for an added effect, if not a standalone treatment. I believe it needs to be discussed further and not treated with prejudice or bias of it being a naturally grown "Drug" chemical (THC). I think if you look around and not just in synthetic cannabinoids either, that it has a proven track record.

We just need to develop more research on the topic.
  12. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

I firmly believe it relieves pain. An aunt of mine died from cancer a few years ago, and in her last months the only thing that could make her sleep well and ease the pain was marijuana. Just one joint before bed did wonders for her, even at point where not even morphine could help her.
  13. Shimus

I've seen cases both for and against, and I have to say the 'for' category seems to be outweighing it.

We just need more studies done or a scientist to step forward and actually recognize it to bring it to the forefront of the discussions instead of still being talked about in secret with dim voices.
  14. Coltodor

Coltodor Member

There are a lot of people that said it can relieve pain. The fact that legalization have happen based on the claim show that there some validity to it. I believe as more research is done the claim that it relieve pain will increase.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

We don't actually need more studies. There's only one reason why medical marijana isn't more common and that's because of the drug companies. They don't want people abandoning their products in favor of a natural plant.
  16. Shimus

That's kind of a narrow minded thing to say. We always need more studies telling what is useful, or more clinical representations, or a doctor breaking new ground. To stop studying means to quit evolving. I just think we need to 'evolve' our sense of thinking around the drug companies, because it's true. The Gov'T gets so much money from handshakes and back-door dealings that it is sad, but we won't have it legalized until they want it.