An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Believe This Teen Generation Will "Officially Stop Smoking"?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by hellonamesdana, Jan 2, 2015.

1. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I can't be the only one who's seen all of the commercials about the teen generation stopping smoking once and for all, right? They're all over TV on basically every channel now. How the rates of teen smoking have been going down recently.
    Do you actually believe that this teen generation is going to stop smoking once and for all?
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I vaguely remember seeing one or two of these commercials because they're not shown in my area but I think I saw them online. Anyway I do agree that this generation probably has the best chance at beating the bad smoking habit since there are already lots of laws preventing smoking from being seen as cool in the media and also there are many more alternatives now such as vaping and not to mention there's a lot more distractions to keep us busy and stimulated.
  3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I agree. Compared to other generations in the past I see this current teenage generation drastically decreasing the amount of people who are smoking, but I'm not too convinced that they are going to be the ones to end it once and for all, if that's even possible.
  4. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Not to be a pessimist, but it would be hard for this generation's teenagers to just quit smoking. When they see their idols and other popstars smoke, they are even more encouraged thinking it's cool. Hopefully, they are educated well enough about the harm of this vice.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I don't think the generation will stop smoking all together, but smoking is deffinately less cool than it used to be. There are many people who have quit the habit in recent years and not as many people picking it up. It helps that employers and medical offices are giving out free access to stop smoking aids now.
  6. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Yes. Smoking rates amongst teens are at an all time low, and since our teens are our future leaders, there is a high chance of them voting to make tobacco products illegal. Also, young people are the customers that tobacco companies try to draw in. Since the amount of young people smoking is extremely low, tobacco companies are suffering tremendously. Eventually, these companies could go bankrupt, leading to the death of smoking.
  7. fire421

fire421 Member

From what i've seen, most people my age have stopped smoking cigarettes and started smoking weed. I see this as a good thing because weed is a lot healthier as long as it's used in moderation.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I doubt that this generation of teens will stop smoking. Cigars will be replaced with weed because if you look around the web there's all this "pro-marijuana" craze. So much as there might be fewer teens smoking cigarettes there's a high likelihood that they will experiment with other drugs.
  9. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

The only place where they are allowed to show smoking on screen now a days is in movies but that has a warning at the bottom, always (this is in India) and all movies start with a short clip about the evils of smoking. Smoking is also not so cool these days. One legislation that is still pending in India (which is there in the US, I assume) is banning selling single cigarettes. This reduces the chance of impulse smoking as well as underage smoking. If that is implemented, and it is just a matter of when rather than if, I am sure the smoking will come down drastically in the urban youth. Not sure of the rural youth though. In any case far worse evils have pervaded the youth universe and smoking is just the slowest killer of them all now.
  10. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think with the rise of vaping we will definitely see a decline in smokers as the years go on. Vaping will rise the same way that cell phones did, and pretty soon it will be the standard way of getting a nicotine fix. I think the world will be better for it in many ways. Vaping is just a cleaner alternative to smoking in so many different ways.
  11. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

The problem is something always takes its place. You are right, I think smoking has be stygmatised so much that it is soon going to be very unsocially acceptable.

IMHO, eating disorders are taking it´s place. I cannot believe the number of teenage girls who brag about their eating disorder and act like purging is a badge of honor and something to freely admit to.
  12. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Smoking isn't going to disappear anytime soon, whether we're talking about among teens or adults. It's a multi-billion dollar injury that might take a PR hit from all of the ad campaigns against smoking, but they're not going to stop every single person from picking up a cigarette or a cigar.
  13. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think so. I think that more and more people are moving to vaping. I think in a couple of years vaping will be as common as a cell phone. It's just one of those changes that will happen with people barely noticing it.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

No, not at all. Hell, I still see young ones leaving needles in parking garages. If someone has the guts to stick a needle in their arm, I'm certain they have it in them to light up a cigarette. Despite how the majority feels, cigarettes are still somewhat ingrained into our culture much like coffee and alcohol, but to a much lesser degree. I think a smoke free world is centuries away. At least.