An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Belive in the power of Exercise?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by ExpertAdvice, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Have you ever heard the school of thought that says that exercise is important in helping any recovery?

I certainly have, and I've witnessed firsthand, recoveries from deep depressions and the like, from an abandonment or slow release of medication, and an increase in the person's participation in exercise.

According to an article on the Chicago Tribune posted on July 12, 2013 entitled "Exercise: Alternative reward for those battling addiction":

"The human brain experiences a chemical reward when we exercise. There is evidence to show that this can be used as an alternative reward for those battling addiction, which can make staying clean easier."

So, do you think that there is a great mystery that hasn't quite been unlocked when it comes to the power of exercise to slow and stop addiction to substances such as alcohol, cocaine, heroine and other drugs?

Let me know what your thoughts are on this!

exercise.jpg
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I do believe this. I am not addicted to drug or alcohol but I have found that exercise has always brought me out of any kind of "depression" or stress. It's a shame I am not more consistent when it comes to the said exercise. I did a quick search once you raised the subject and found this bit of information which pretty much confirms that there are benefits to an addict exercising.

http://www.recoveryranch.com/articles/exercise-drug-alcohol-rehab/
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

Yes, exercise is not only healthy for your body, but for your mind. It gives you an energy boost and adrenaline rush, which is great for someone fighting an addiction. It is like a natural high. That's not to say that you should just get on an exercise addiction. Everything in life should be done in moderation.
  4. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I believe exercise helps to an extent. I regularly exercised yet still suffered from depression. I did not really get better until I started anti-depressants. The impact exercise had without the latter was minimal. I'm guessing situations differ among people, though.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I would have to agree with this school of thought or discipline. It's not so much on the body getting tired. Aside from stimulating the brain for the better, exercise also helps the proper circulation of the blood, paving the way to smoother breathing and an overall relaxed system. People who are prone to substance abuse mostly experience nerve tensions. With exercise, their nerves start to relax and they're no longer as fidgety or jittery as before. However, this form of "treatment" does not work for everyone. It basically depends on the severity of one's condition.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think exercise is infinitely beneficial too. It is great for the mind as well as the body. It has helped me through withdrawal and depression. The only thing is, when you feel bad, exercise is often the last thing you feel like doing.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree with this statement. Exercising is a great way to naturally get your brain to release endorphins which causes you to feel happier, and since this is what people hope to achieve by taking substances anyway, then exercising most likely is a very good substitute. The best thing about this is that you also get to see results by positive changes in your body so you get even more benefits than just feeling good.
  8. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I really think that exercise is good for your body and mind. Proper exercise can release certain hormones which help help your well being.
  9. daregicide

daregicide Member

Exercise teaches you a lot about discipline and willpower in the process of strengthening your body. I do believe that exercising can help you become a better person and not only improve your looks :p.
  10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I definitely believe in the healing power of exercise. Whether you are going through an addiction or not I believe it is a good idea to exercise as much as possible. Not only does it keep you occupied, it helps to keep your mind off things, in addition to the obvious health benefits.
  11. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

Exercise is very powerful. The body craves it. We were never meant to be stagnant. We have joints and they need movement. We have a heart that beats. It needs to be strengthened on a regular basis. Exercise releases the feelings of goodness and health throughout the body. There are many great health benefits that come with regular exercise.
  12. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

Exercise is very important for your overall well being. I think it can help you recover from addiction as well. Taking care of your body gives you a sense of pride and awareness to what you put into it as well.
  13. davidj96

davidj96 Member

Exercise can really help your body, mind and soul in so many ways. There are also tons of diffrient variations andtypes of exercises that one can perform. If you start to work out daily,you can get your mind on the right track while also building a great level of fitness that will be beneficial for your body.
  14. Tournique

Davidj96 is pretty right, exercise does wonders for the mind and body.
  15. SuicideMan

SuicideMan Member

I tried it, it is not for me. I mean I love the exercise, but it does not distract me from my problem long enough, since I can not just exercise the whole weekend.

I also never experienced what others describe here were I feel good afterwards.
  16. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I absolutely agree with that and like many of the posters have put exercise really is a wonderful and fun escape route especially when you have some form of substance addiction or and even just stress. Exercise not only helps build your lung capabilities and keep you in shape, it get all the good energies moving all over your body and leaves you truly rejuvenated!
  17. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

Exercise is great! Regardless of your reason for doing it, you should be doing it!
  18. Tournique

I love starting exercise again in the spring. It feels so good to get pumped up for the summer.
  19. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I don't mind working out, but I don't go out of my way to exercise and be into that health scene. I know I should, I know I'm killing myself. But until spring and summer, there's little and less to do around here. I go outside for extended periods of time (snowcovered forests here, three feet deep) in multiple layers and trek for miles on end.. so I guess that can be considered healthy. Have to put on snowshoes to do it too, middle of nowhere and no telling how deep some of the snow goes.

I did feel good after doing it, knowing I broke an honest sweat and could peel off the clothes and go take a shower, so I'm no stranger to the concept. I just don't do it nearly enough. But I do believe in it.
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Exercise is scientifically proven to help your mind and your attitude. As well as helping your physical health, it improves your mental health as well.