An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do You Belive in the power of Exercise?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by ExpertAdvice, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

Exercise is good all around for your health. Many people have also found it helpful in breaking addictions as well.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

Exercise will get your adrenaline level up, so it can give you natural high. Thus, leaving you feeling good and not craving any substance to do the job. The thing with exercise is that it will also start to make you be and feel healthy about yourself. In turn you should build self confidence and feel healthy.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I believe that exercise is essential to a recovering addict.Apart from the "feel good feeling" that comes out naturally in our minds,the body is able to flush out the toxins which have built inside the body over time through sweat. Through exercise,one is able to socialize with other like minded people and the time spent during exercise is important as it keeps one preoccupied with doing something meaningful as opposed to just sitting around and being tempted to go back to your devilish ways.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  4. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Nice Shimus. It's good that you have a place to go in the winter. xD Being stuck in an urban area in the winter is not that nice.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is true. It's a good hobby or job however you want to look at it. I make it like a job I enjoy. The business of making the body and mind better.
    I kind of have always noticed that it clearly does good things for you. But I really noticed it when I started working on something new. It would require you to jog/run/walk starting out a half hour a day and building up to like 5 hours. It's for a mind body connection. I didn't have it in mind that this is how I'll get myself in shape or being excessive. It will do something for your mind. Well, I got to 2 1/2 hours that I was doing for a week or so finally. The personality change was astonishing and came like a wind. I have had some minor issues that deterred me from building up to the 5 hours. Some physical issues. I will still get back to it and I can't wait. Something was releasing in my one heel that was uncomfortable. Some kind of toxins. I needed the right sneakers as well. I also tried to add some weight to the walking and blew out an odd muscle in the front of my shin.
    But anyway the point is it felt like a complete personality change. I did something so out of character that got me something small that I wanted. It was such a rush to experience.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Absolutely! I feel like for me, exercise was one of those saving graces that really helped me with recovery -- it kept me busy, it made me see noticeable differences in my health and endurance getting better, and it just made me feel good! It still does - it's something that I derive a lot of enjoyment from!
  7. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Yea I can step on board with this. Exercising is way to let out somethings as well as getting fit and having something to focus on. It keeps the mind busy and away from all the famous cravings. This would be something I would suggest to someone trying to get clean and looking for something to help them focus on not getting a new fix. Exercising takes discipline and determination two keywords in also getting over an addiction.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I do believe in the power of exercise. Exercise not only helps your body but also your brain. Exercise release a certain kind of Harmon that works as pain killer. Exercise is a great stress buster, you can cure many mental issues by implying working out in gym.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Exercise has been proven to release feel good chemicals in the brain, so it's not surprising that it can help with drug addiction. I actually feel happy and hyper when I have exercised, and I do agree that it can be a great way to fight addiction.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I definitely agree with this. When I am feeling down I find that I always feel better after I go for a nice long walk. Just getting the heart pumping and the blood flowing is such an amazing feeling. Once you start exercising you start thinking of your health and you want to be health so you start making better choices in your life. Exercise is a very good thing.