An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you buy your cigarettes in packs or a single cigarette each time

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amin021023, Aug 7, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Hi, I was curious how people do it because I'm trying to cut down, currently I'm at 6-7 cigs a day smoked at three times a day, two after lunch, two after dinner and two at late night...I go to a store and buy two cigs each time I'm going to smoke and that's a bit hard but I won't buy packs because I know I can't handle and I'll end up smoking all of the pack as soon as I could...could you handle a pack and keep it for a couple of days?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I remember that some years ago, while I was at a music festival, I had no cigarettes all day, as they were at one of my friends. I was craving them so much, that when I got my hands on them, I smoked a pack in a night!

And well, I was usually smoking 4 cigarettes per day, as they were cheap and I was hanging out with my friends outside most of the time. They were like little pieces of Heaven to me. This didn't help me quit, though. Anything than going cold turkey on it didn't work for me.
  3. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Nope I would just start chain smoking them, would have to buy little amounts to limit myself.
  4. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I buy packs of cigarettes when I need them outside school (for a weekend) and sometimes a single cigarette if I have a break at school and get stressed before an important test.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I can't handle a pack of cigarettes either, is really hard! When I started to quit smoking I stopped buying packs and I stated to buy one or two cigarettes, it was definitely better for me, I didn't had the temptation of having a lot of cigarettes on my backpack waiting to be smoked
    amin021023 likes this.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I always bought packs. When I first started smoking, it was still legal for shops in the UK to sell single cigarettes and we'd often buy them this way. It became illegal though, probably because of anit-smoking measures so you won't see them sold individually anymore.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, when I used to be addicted I always bought cigarettes in packs, since I didn't have anywhere where I could get them individually. If you can't resist having a full pack near you then you should continue what you're doing right now.
  8. amin021023

but what if someone wants to smoke only one cigarette they have to buy a whole pack? how does that apply to anti-smoking measures?
  9. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I have never had the option to but single cigarettes, I didn't even know they sold them that way anywhere. Where do you live?
    I always buy packs but I have noticed that I smoke more when I have a full pack in the morning versus when I'm running low when I wake up. I don't usually run to the store until after my husband gets home from work at dinner time. The other day I started the morning with 3 cigarettes and still had half of one at 4:30, if I had a pack I would've smoked atleast half the pack in that period of time.
  10. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Ttirb, they're sold that way around the neighborhood in some places. A lot of times they're called loosies. I would imagine they'd be more expensive to buy singly than in a pack, but for people who can't afford a pack or are trying to quit I guess it might be good.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Where I'm from buying cigarettes individually is unheard of. We always bought them in a pack or a whole case. This is until I moved overseas and found out that in third world countries they do sell them individually, which strikes me as odd.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

I usually buy a whole pack and divide it in two. That would last me exactly two days. I've programmed myself to only smoke ten cigarettes a day. There was a time when a whole pack lasted me 4 days, because I cut down to smoking 5 cigarettes a day,
  13. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I've never seen individual cigarettes being sold anywhere in stores around me. However if I was out of cigarettes and not near somewhere where I could buy a pack and I needed one I have offered someone who was smoking money for a cigarette or two. They usually end up giving them to me and not taking the dollar.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I had never heard of cigarettes being able to be sold individually - here where I live it's packets only.

I think to myself how hard that would be for someone who isn't going cold turkey, because if you're trying to wean yourself off cigarettes but you still have a full packet in your possession, I think it can be hard to try and limit yourself. If they're there, I think it's just too easy to remain in your old habits.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You cannot buy single cigarettes over the counter in the UK any more, as they made it illegal. You can only buy a full pack or a a pack of hand rolling tobacco. You can, however, still buy cigars singularly which seems to defeat the whole point of bringing that law in, in the first place.
  16. 6up

6up Community Champion

When I used to smoke, I could buy a whole packet of cigarettes for the day. I used to smoke heavily since I didn't have a permanent job which made me to be idle. I also used to be with friends who smoked, meaning that I could get extra cigarettes.
  17. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I buy them in packs, but I guess it's better to buy them alone, because when you do have them in packs you tend to smoke a lot more of them, that is the situation I found myself a lot of times, smoking over 15 cigarettes a day while I had a pack, and when I had cigarettes bought alone I smoked around 6 or 7.
  18. Sparkster

Also, just to add - although I did used to sometimes buy cigars singularly instead of buying a pack of cigarettes, I did end up changing to rolling tobacco because it's so much cheaper. You get a lot more out of it.
  19. amin021023

but Cigars are much worse than cigarettes for one's health I think but that's nice, rolling your tobacco with your own hands would make the experience much more enjoyable.
  20. Sparkster

In my opinion cigars are not as bad for your health. They use tobacco leaves instead of paper and you don't fully inhale the smoke. My grandfather smoked cigars and lived until he was 84. He had no health problems from smoking cigars and died from something else entirely. Yet I know a lot of people who smoked cigarettes that died from smoking related illnesses. Of course, thats just my opinion. I could be wrong.