An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you discuss Marijuana with your Doctor?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Skyler, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Skyler

Skyler Member

While it is true ‘the times they are a changing’ and marijuana use, medical or otherwise is more widely talked about and understood there is still a bit of stigma. While there are some Dr’s that are open to its use and benefits, others are about as against it as they come.

I have used marijuana for many years now as one of the things I do to support my health and my quality of life. I am upfront with my Dr’s and such about my usage and have never had anything but support.

I do hear from other people however that Dr’s are not always open to talking about it and in fact many are downright uncomfortable or even hostile. If you use marijuana are you open and honest with your Dr about it? How did that go?
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I told my OBGYN that I'd smoked pot before I knew I was pregnant, he was very cool about it and that encouraged me to be completely honest about everything. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your doctor you should find a new one. When I was a teenager I went to a gynecologist, she was rude and made me feel so uncomfortable that when she asked if I was sexually active (in a very judgmental tone), I lied. She didn't give me a physical exam cause she thought I was a virgin, I wasn't and should have had the exam but she made so nervous. Now that I'm older I'm not afraid to find a better doctor. If someone can't talk about something like marijuana they should definitely find a doctor they are more comfortable with.
  3. Skyler

Skyler Member

For sure if you are not comfortable talking with your doctor in general, you should find a new one. Its a pretty important relationship between doctor and patient and being able to relate to them is key. I currently have doctors I really like but in the past I have experienced judgmental rude ones and moved on pretty quickly.

With marijuana and alcohol use, I wonder if people are always totally honest. I know I have "under reported" the amount of alcohol I drink. I think that was more to do with me though than the doctor.
  4. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

I try to talk to my doctor about it whether she wants to or not. It's sorry mentioning considering the positive feedback marijuana has been given in the research world. I try to talk to them about it because sometimes they give me valuable information about new research studies

Some doctors however shun marijuana and are very short when discussing it. Recently I had a conversation with my orthopedic doctor about it. His stance was that it's dangerous and a gateway drug. I asked him what research has concluded those claims. Of course the conversation was cut short because he didn't have much to say.

Needless to say, if you're doctor supports it, they'll talk about. More likely than not however, there are still more healthcare professionals that do not believe Marijuana is of any good and choose not to delve into it too much
    Skyler likes this.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Several years ago I told my doctor that I used marijuana. He had no problem with it and didn't give me any advice about it or recommend that I quit. He just accepted it as thought it was a normal thing. I thought it may have been a cause of my depression and anxiety but he assured me that I was of sound mind and was more concerned with the abuse I was being subject to and about whether I was still using amphetamine or not. He did say that if you have mental issues then marijuana can exacerbate them though.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have never talked with my doctor about marijuana, but I think she wouldn't support it (mostly because she's an old lady, and very straightforward). I am aware of the benefits of marijuana, but I don't know if I want to smoke it again though. It's almost a years since I last smoked a cigarette, and if I get into pot I will start damaging my lungs again.
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

My current doctor is very open minded. We talk about wether the medical marijuana she has precribed is working and will check my vitals. It's become part of the health check up. My doctor is very observant and looks for possible bad reactions I might be having with using it as a symptom reliever. Since it is relatively new in the medical community, she likes to check everything. I'm pretty lucky my doctor is so open minded and attentive. I think a lot of doctors don't want to get involved in medical marijuana because if something happens to their patient it looks bad on them.
  8. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I haven't been totally honest with my doctor but I told her about pot. and I was surprised that she didn't try to make me stop using it.
  9. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I remember going to the doctor once and doing a check up related to fertility issues and I was asked some extremely personal questions. At the time I was embarrassed but looking back I know that he had to do it in order to rule out some of the various possibilities causing the issue. He got to smoking point and he asked if I smoked, I told him yes I used marijuana and I felt like I had to further clarify it. I found myself telling him not often, as if there was the need to cushion the effect of telling my doctor that I did that.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Nah, the doctors in my country are not open to this kind of thing, because marijuana is illegal all over the country. But the place where I am going to be living is very different, I heard marijuana is legal, you can even get 2 or 3 plants and it's ok to have it for personal use there. So I am guessing doctors over there are very open to its use, but I'd not be surprised if some of them aren't ok with its use at all. There are people like that everywhere.

I don't like to smoke the stuff (I've asthma) but I see marijuana as a great option to treat my pain naturally. I was checking a video on how to make a balm with it! I might actually try it once I live in that place, I really need something to treat my aching joints!
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I will open it up with my doctor if needed, although in my country weed is completely illegal and it's not used for medical purposes too, so I doubt I will talk about it with my doctor anytime soon.
  12. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I think it is important to be completely honest with your doctor since they cannot treat you properly without knowing everything. I have told doctors when I smoked it because you never know what reaction other medications will have in combination with it. I never got any reaction from the doctors that I have told since I feel that they have heard a lot worse in there daily routines and for the most part they are trying to be nonjudgmental. They usually just encouraged me to stop and then left it at that.
  13. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Thеrе аrе а numbеr оf sреciаlty рhysiciаns аnd clinics аvаilаblе fоr cоnsultаtiоns in stаtеs with mеdicаl cаnnаbis lаws. Bеfоrе sееing а mеdicаl cаnnаbis sреciаlist, раtiеnts shоuld аlrеаdy hаvе mеdicаl rеcоrds оf diаgnоsis аnd trеаtmеnt оr а рhysiciаn rеfеrrаl. Bе аwаrе thаt:Yоu shоuld tаkе yоur mеdicаl rеcоrds with yоu tо thе арроintmеnt.It gеnеrаlly cоsts $100 оr mоrе tо sее а mеdicаl cаnnаbis sреciаlist. (Раying fоr а cоnsultаtiоn dоеs nоt guаrаntее yоu а rеcоmmеndаtiоn.)Timе with thе dоctоr аnd quаlity оf cаrе cаn vаry аmоng mеdicаl cаnnаbis sреciаlists.
  14. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Where I'm from there is a warning label, but it's only for pregnant women. I don't think a lot of people would accept a label on alcoholic drinks, like they have on cigarettes.
  15. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I guess it depends on what kind of relationship you have with your doctor. If you are just coming once a year for some sort of checkup, never really talking to him/her, then I wouldn't talk about such a personal thing, especially if marijuana use is illegal where I live, which it is. Whereas if I came to my doctor often and we would often engage in conversation to the extent where we can talk about personal things without the one going on to everyone else about my life, then yes, I would tell him that I use it and perhaps ask him for help.
  16. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I was always told to be brutally honest with your doctor. So, I tell my doctor everything. I found that discussing my drug usage with my doctor often makes the doctor uncomfortable. However, he or she always has helpful bits of information on the subject. Also, u wouldn't believe one of my doctors told me to smoke as much marijuana as needed for anxiety. I would have to say no matter how controversial the subject may be, if it pertains to your health, you should definitely tell your doctor.
  17. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I have spoken to him about it very briefly. They usually ask as a basic question during a check up if you have ever smoked. My doctor is pretty cool and I was honest with him about it. He didn't seem to have an issue with it. I told him I don't do it all that frequently and I don't feel I'm in any danger of abusing it.
  18. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I never talk to my doctor about marijuana as I have no intent on using it. Maybe if I am experiencing major depression or some pain to my muscles while playing sports I might bring up the idea of medical marijuana and see what he thinks.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

These are dumb questions for a doctor to ask. Sounds like a planned parenthood script of what the doctors are told to say. When she asked if you were sexually active you should have said you did it for a living. I'm just kidding.
    You know this condescending attitude makes no sense. Its kind of a small town mentality to talk to a patient that way. People are a product of their environment. I can understand you not wanting to find a better doctor. The best way is to ask women you trust who they go to. A good recommendation is the best way.