An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

do you ever just want to get super wasted?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kjonesm1, Apr 25, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

So I was on vacation in Cancun for a week at an all inclusive resort. Every pool had a open bar, the hotel had 3 open bars inside and even the beach had an open bar. Every where we went servers had trays full of drinks or were walking around taking orders. The room we were in had liquor bottles on tap and a fridge full of beer.

Though I drank moderately the entire trip I was far from drunk at all, but on the last night I just wanted to get black out wasted. I was there with my boyfriend who has never had a drink in his life so I know it would have turned out badly.

The temptation was almost tangible. Do you get this way?
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Yes I do and these all-inclusive deals are a massive temptation. After all, it's free, most people would want to take full advantage! All you can really do in these situations is exercise phenomenal restraint and tell yourself not to be greedy!
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Am glad that you were able to fight off the temptations to drink heavily on your last night out. Controlling your urges is an important element in your goals of fighting drug addiction. A strong support network is also vital as shown by the presence of your boyfriend who unconsciously made you to keep your urge to drink in check.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  4. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Not for alcohol since I am not a drinker but the same thing happened back then when I was a heavy smoker. During parties or ordinary social gathering, I always think that smoking those cigarettes will make my mind enjoy the experience even more. During the times when there are people who hate cigarette smokes, I somehow was able to control that urge so it was also similar to your case. Maybe cigarette doesn't have that 'wasted' effect as much as alcohol but for a heavy smoker like me, it was a big deal.
  5. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I think similar urges are fairly common. You did well. It's not easy to restrain yourself when it's all up in your face like that. It's great that you were able to think it through, realize it was a bad idea, and control your urge to do it anyway. Baby steps.... sometimes, they are a lot bigger than they look. :)
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

When hormones kick in (this is especially common among women before the onset of their menstruation), I tend to be in a depressive state so the urge to get drunk and wasted is unusually high. I have sworn never to go down this path again ever since I accidentally drank myself to oblivion at a bar two years ago (the first and probably the last for me). I know all too well the awful feeling of passing out drunk so I'm more cautious now. It's an ugly sight to lose your consciousness in public.
  7. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

I was in a situation you described, unfortunately, I couldn't just help it. We were in a trip to Greece (me and a bunch of friends) and in the day before we had to pack our things, we thought it would be a very good idea to spend the remaining money on drinks and get wasted. I still regret that day, we missed our flight due to hangover in the morning and had to pay extra! Not looking forward to getting super wasted again, haha.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's definitely hard in places that have an all-you-can-drink policy -- I feel like those sort of places do just encourage binge drinking to a degree. That concept of not feeling like you've gotten good value because you haven't used the free bar to its' full advantage can be dangerous. And yes - I've been there before. Even at places going out for dinner, where an all you can drink policy was included, I've felt like I was missing out when everyone else was drinking up and I was abstaining.
  9. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Funny. I myself always get that urge to get completely hammered when I start getting hazy after the first glass of alcohol. I begin feeling omnipotent, increasingly attractive and irresistible. I get delusional with thoughts that the alcohol can make me untouchable. Of course, I am probably neither the first nor the last person to feel that way in a similar scenario. Temptation is only natural. Resisting it takes guts.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it has come to my mind, but I know that if I do that could make choices that maybe bad and not good to be in a environment which can cause this to happen and hope to stay that way. I reckon, that a person can see that if they drink more than needed than this can cause addiction and also problems can occur for the person in the process. You don't need to feel bad that you did not take advantage as the next day you can be passed out and also will have a sore head as well.
  11. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I can relate to that feeling, I think most of us do. There's a feeling of freedom and wanting to get wasted all the way when you're in a foreign place. It feels like you want to experience everything including getting drunk until morning. Then you add the fact that everything is inclusive in your package. Temptation is really huge in this kind of situation and it takes a lot of self-discipline to resist it.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've felt this many times before but admittedly I'm always very careful so I tend to be more strict with myself even as I continually think that I want to go all in. I think it's a good thing since it has served me well so far, because I've always been able to keep myself safe and responsible in many situations but I have to admit I do feel the desire to completely let loose sometimes.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yes, especially when I was going through recovery and I was craving some alcohol. I managed to overcome those feelings though, and I am glad I did!
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It comes to me when I am in that type of environment. Hence the reason why I just stay home and keep myself busy. If I go out and see a place that is jumping with laughter and alcohol, I might get enticed to stop in. So I just avoid it all together.
  15. vikkiwinters

vikkiwinters Member

I think every addict, ex or no, feels that urge to give in. Half the time I swear it's simply because you're not supposed to do it, so you want to do it. Or you've half forgotten how it actually feels but remember that you obsessively chased it in the past, and you want to rediscover that feeling. Fight it, babe!
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

There was a time when I just really wanted to get super wasted because of my crush. Hahaha. I know it was really a silly reason, but when my crush ignored me, I just wanted to get lost and get super drunk.