An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Do you feel good when you drink alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 003, Jan 28, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

Well, despite that sting it really feels good to me the aftereffect of alcohol despite of what it does to me, despite that it somehow make me bum and unable to think clear. After I drink it just feels so good to sleep and take a rest, but the I hate it when I have to get up from bed to just pee with me feeling little nauseated. Even that I fink alcohol to have a nice effect on me, I'm not a kind who looks after it and after the pleasure that it subsequently give. I'm just a moderate drinker.
  2. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

I'm a fan of everything in moderation. We all have times of excess, whether that's talking about alcohol, food, TV and so on. But having an amount that doesn't do you or anyone else any harm is fine. I'll freely admit that I like a drink. But I'll also freely admit that I need to maintain discipline and not got carried away with it.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  3. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I drink to get drunk, always have. Whether that is wrong or right, I suppose that is up to an individual to think. Sometimes when I get drunk, it is not fun, because it's boring, or something hits me, like thinking about my dad (who died 5 months ago). Other times I have a lot of fun and laugh and get silly.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I just tried drinking a mug/glass of beer out of curiosity and I do not like its bitter taste. I do not drank more than that cause I do not think I can still manage the taste and have not drink any alcoholic beverages after that. So, I do not feel good drinking and I do not want to experienced being drunk and have hangover.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I drink to take the edge off and relax every once in a while. I do not like to get drunk so I rarely go above 2 drinks with whatever I am drinking. I just hate the spiny feeling of being drunk. As long as you can moderate yourself there is nothing wrong with taking the edge off sometimes.
  6. matt1rl

matt1rl Member

I don't know if I would necessarily call it good. I know the next day I don't feel good, especially if I over indulge! I feel that I drink when the stress of life gets to be to much. I know it won't fix my problems, and it isn't good for me, and could be considered a negative coping skill. Sometimes when I am out with others I am drinking to take off the edge, because of social anxiety. There is always some type of justification, does not make it right though in my eyes.
  7. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I don't really drink much -- in Canada, I did not drink much because alcohol was expensive, so I only drank wine in family/friend dinners etc. In Germany, I was drinking more at first, because it was cheaper. But mostly, I just bought different wines and sparklings. Because I really like the taste. Since my boyfriend quit drinking, I've barely even drunk anything at all -- and never alone, always with friends. I actually like being tipsy, but it's nothing important to me.
  8. 23arrow23

23arrow23 Member

I'm not a very casual drinker. That means that I don't normally go out to have 2-3 beers and then go home. When I drink, I drink and I do it to get drunk. With that being said, I don't drink very often anymore. My reasons for drinking are very clear: it makes me feel great (for a while) and it is a great social lubricant. However, it gets boring quickly and it certainly didn't help with my depression. Alcohol doesn't mix well with being depressed.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think if you are already depressed alcohol would make it worse because it is a depressant by nature. I do not like the feeling of being drunk and falling all over self so I drink in moderation. A glass of wine here or a couple of drinks there. I have found that I don't like going to the bar anymore because the social aspect makes me overdo it sometimes.
  10. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I think like one of the poster has rightly put, everything in moderation can be good and make you feel good. This in my opinion is the same with alcohol, I think that as long as you know your limit and how much your body can take without you making a fool of yourself in the long run then it is alright and it can actually relax you as well as make you feel good! I drink socially and never overdo it as I really dislike hangovers.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  11. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I don't drink too often anymore, but it is always a good experience for me. I always make sure to stay hydrated and I don't get wasted, so I never get hangovers.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Most pleasurable things have a downside and it's all about finding out where you would draw the line personally, and hopefully the person deciding will have enough tools to discern where the best place for that line is. I personally also like the effects of alcohol but it also has effects on me that I dislike such as hangovers.
  13. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

My mom says that it's the only way that she is able to "feel like herself" and "be herself around other people or in general", which is completely false because she is an absolutely horrible person when she is drinking and she always has been. I just wish she would understand that having the love from her children and her family would be so much better than tearing them down constantly when she's drinking.
  14. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

I at times do indulge in a bit of alcohol at home with the family for celebratory purposes, and I do like its effects. I do feel good in a way. My mom also says that her mom said that some alcohol a day is good for the body. Then again my grandmother rest in peace, also use to say everything with moderation can be good. Seeing that everything has the capabilities of in one way or another benefiting the human condition with consideration of what moderation can do so.
  15. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I hate to think that anyone can derive pleasure from drinking. All it takes is a few seconds to do something stupid or crazy when you are unable to " think clearly". You could contract an STI, get involved in a car accident, the list is endless.So,whichever category of drinker we classify ourselves, we should be very much aware of the dangers we expose ourselves to and make the necessary adjustments in our lives.
  16. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

It depends on the day, the company, the quantity of alcohol consumed and especially how are my inner feelings that day, I mean, if I'm happy there is no problem, but if there is something bad on my mind, geting drunked will make things look worst.
  17. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I drink from time to time, but I don't over-do it. Some people can drink, and others can't, I'm one of the ones that can because drinking liquor has never been my thing. Some people love to drink, and they can't stop. For them, drinking is a no-no.

I drink a little bit of wine to relax, or maybe a small shot of hard liquor, but that's it. I don't feel the urge to keep drinking and drinking and never stop. Also, I only drink when I'm at home, I never go out and drink, not even one beer or a glass of wine, I never drink away from home.
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It feels pretty good. I love drinking and won't lie. But only when I am responsible, as I do my best to be. Getting so drunk that you can't even walk on two legs anymore sucks, and makes you look really bad.
  19. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

You realize that not everyone drinks to get wasted, right? A nice buzz can certainly be enjoyable for some, and I'm not sure why you hate to think that people can derive pleasure from it. Drinking alcohol releases endorphins, among other things, that make you feel good.
  20. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think alcohol is one of those social drugs where people drink it because it is fashionable. Drinking alcohol does not give me any feeling of high in fact it is the opposite where I just feel bad. Being drunk is not something to wish for because it makes you vulnerable.